Balsa wood TOWER project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jayj713, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jayj713

jayj713 Member

So, I have to make a tower that will have the highest strength:weight ratio. Meaning a 2lb tower holding 4lbs is worse than a 1lb tower holding 3lbs. I was thinking of just doing a rectangular prism and then put like a pyramid type thing inside of it. Something like that. Then i will fill it with triangles? dunno. We're going to be using 1' balsa wood sticks that are 1/8" thick.

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Carbon Fiber painted to look like Balsa Wood?

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Is it JDM cf though?

4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Fo Shizzle Yo! Its Mad Tyte JDM CF....

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

didn't someone do this, except with a bridge not too long ago. Shit I wish I got to make balsa wood towers for class.

6. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

ha ha they shure did with the bridge, btw the jdm cf part is that true? lol

7. Ya i did the bridge.

I'll guess i'll write what happened (short version)

Design was slightly flawed due to its "perfectness" it had to be. All the weight went to the sides and eventually just slid through becase one side was slightly uneven.

Held about 14,000 grams of weight

8. ReTodd

ReTodd New Member

I used finger nail harder and brushed on like paint when I build a bridge in high school. Works good!

9. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

if it's just vertical weight you'll be supporting, use a circular base. For example, take a sheet of paper, fold it into a rect. prism, then put a book on top of it, no dice. roll it up into a circle...should hold it up.