Bar over charged me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deke, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

I was just checking my bank account and saw that I was severely over charged at a bar I went to a couple of weeks ago. I used my check card (which I try not to do and will never do again at a bar) and made two different orders during the night, closing out the tab immediately after both orders. Two different charges show up and the second one is right ($23.00). However, the first one should only be between $15-20, but instead it's for $214 . While I generally try to hang onto receipts, of course I can't find this one.

Do I have a leg to stand on? I called Wachovia and they pretty much told me since I don't have the receipt, my only real course of action would be to try and talk to a manager at the club. I'm just kind of worried that he's not going to give me the time of day and I'll be SOL.

Anyone have experience on dealing with this sort of thing? Maybe how I should approach the situation with the manager?

Spare me the lectures. Cash FTW, I know.

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

This has happened to me before at Tony's in Sandy Springs(NEVER GO THERE).. But she only got me for about $25, not as bad as you... I didn't figure it out until weeks later and didn't have my receipt either. I just let it go as lesson learned. In your case I would fight that one to the death... I don't know, I guess going to the bar manager is your only course of action.. Where was this?

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

It was at Primal (newish club in Midtown). Haha, not the kind of place I normally frequent, but it was a friend's birthday.

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

They should have credit card reciepts stored somewhere, its all electronic. I had a similar situation at a bar where I was double charged on a $70 tab but when I went and talked they saw that it was an easy mistake and refunded my card, this was a bar though and not a club so they might have been easier to deal with.

5. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

I would have to hurt someone if that happened to me. Makes me wanna check over my receipts

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I got charged at 66.70 wendys..

instead of 6.67...

Just call the place and be nice..

7. ohmypearls

ohmypearls Banned

call them and tell them your date, time, and purchase amount. And give them your credit number to look up in the system. It is all stored there they should be able to go back into the system and pull up all purchases made and find yours and correct it.

8. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Its not like a pre-auth for a tab is it?

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

Legally servers and managers have to enter the bottom amount on closed credit receipts. Regardless of the tip amount. So your tab could be $25 and you wanted to leave a $7 tip that would make your total $32. But instead you're drunk, can't add, weren't paying attention or just plain stupid (not accusatory, LOL, just stating info people may not know) and instead of $32 you accidently write $25 on the bottom (total) line. Well legally that is number that must be entered and therefore charged to the credit/debit card. Or perhaps you accidently write $50 in that bottom line well, same difference. That is what you get charged.

Technically you could write whatever the hell you want in the tip line, a fuck you, you suck, $10000000000, .05, whatever. The bottom line is what gets entered at the end of the night.

So keep this in mind guys.

10. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

They may have not given you back the top copy and wrote it in. Be nice and pleasant and see if they'll work with you, if that doesn't work shoot up the place!

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I tried calling yesterday afternoon but all I got was an answering machine. I going to give it another go tomorrow afternoon/evening. I just want to make sure I catch the manager at a non-busy time. I think because it's a big club, I'm expecting to not be given much attention on $200, so I want to give him/her as little excuse as possible.

I'll keep you all updated :)

12. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

keep us updated! credit cards and clubs/bars FTL..I ordered jimmy johns one day, used card (over phone)....charged me $5 over what I paid for..even have the receipt..wasn't really worried about that..it was the call I got from Chase fraud dept asking if I was trying to use card for $500 for wire transfer!

13. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I sure hope not. Is this even done to this extent?

I feel like there has to be some course of action here. Let us know what happens dude.

14. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

I dunno I had something similar happen up here, where I wanted a tab, and I had like 4 charges for tabs. I was like huh? I knew i paid two different servers in the same bar, about 3 days later, the two extra charges for the incorrect amount disappeared.

Always figured it was so someone didnt give them a bum card drink and eat the place up then leave without the invalid card..

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would just start with my bank...Good luck Dude!

16. Deke

Deke Active Member

So it's not finalized yet, but I'm pretty sure the situation is going to be resolved :)

I called the club on Wednesday, and talked to a very friendly, helpful girl that took all of my info, and told me she'd get back to me. I was skeptical, but I got a call back this morning saying that she was able to find the mistake (the bartender did in fact mess up when entering the tip), and she's going to refund my card for the $200. I haven't gotten it on my account yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will show up any day. Haha, I can't believe that it worked out (knock on wood).

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Good to here man their making good on it... mistakes happen..