Being Dropped From Insurance WTF

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, May 14, 2011.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

perfect news for friday the 13th i guess...

got a letter from geico stating that they were dropping me from their insurance and listed the reasons bc of the two accidents i had last november and december.
    if anyone recalls:
    accident 1 november 13th: http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29398

accident 2 december 15th: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php/topic,16975.msg222151.html#msg222151

now neither of the accidents were terribly bad. the first i was making a turn entering a middle turn lane which someone was coming down, i think wrongfully, and hit me. smashed fender for me and scratched bumper for him. second accident i hit black ice as i was pulling into a parking space at my complex, smashed the corner of the guys rear bumper. i didnt even claim that one for my car bc the damage wasn't bad.

so basically, what the f*** do i do now? at most i was going to expect a increase in my premium but bc i had an accident then another which wasnt fully my fault, they drop me.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

get insurance from someone else?

i've heard people getting dropped for WAAAAY less. so not surprised at ALL

3. nygiant

nygiant Member

i'm not sure that will be possible. i currently pay 94/month from geico and everyone else wants around 300/month

dropped for way less like what?

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

when i got in my wreck in my 02 wrx my insurance went from ~$100/month for full coverage to ~$500/month.

then i sold the WRX. actually bought it back at one point for a few months on different insurance and liability was like $75/month. just check around. rates change daily

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

screw geico. They're notorious for dropping people for next to no reason. I've heard of people being dropped from them for auto-xing their cars. :|

you're much better off elsewhere. Do you have an account with a credit union? Some banks and C.U. offer discounted insurance for banking with them. I've always been lucky with State Farm. People say they're super expensive, but for me, it's the same as any other insurance. But you also get what you pay for. ;)

6. nygiant

nygiant Member

Really? :|

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Call my friend Hannah at Liberty Mutual (PM'ing you the number now) -- she'll take care of you. Let her know Alex from WRXAtlanta.com referred ya :)

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

i'm with progressive now on my bike and car. decent discounts and literally 10x cheaper for the bike than Geico was.

9. techlord

techlord Active Member

liberty mutual
    done

10. nygiant

nygiant Member

no pm :(

11. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Was interrupted. Sending the pm now.

12. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Liberty Mutual but a warning b/c I had an accident last year and it took them forever(a week) to come out to Magnum to access the damage...Long story short, it too them a total of 14 weeks to fix the cosmetic damage but not the mechanical side. So I ended up eatin the mechanical part and still trying to figure out the pull...:( So now we're with Nationwide and cheaper on rates.

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

Let me guess, you are under 30, turbo, two wrecks within 60 days? Yeah the statistics are against you. Find the cheapest rates but make sure it covers the total payout of your car. It sucks paying for a car you don't have anymore.

14. trouble06

trouble06 Member

Give Unitrin direct a shot. I've been with them the past 4-5 years. Cheaper than Allstate, State farm, Nationwide, Liberty mutual.

15. nygiant

nygiant Member

random question...someone said that when i obtain online quotes, not to provide any accident/incident information and to let the system just run my information to see what it comes back with since it checks my history. can anyone confirm that?

16. John

John Active Member

I've been with Geico for a long time. Every couple of months I check around with all the other companies to see if anyone can beat Geicos rate, but geico blows all the other rates out of the water....and ive never had a problem with them

17. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Hate to poo-poo on this, but I figure best to get it out of the way:
    This is basically a 'failed to assure clearance.' Since you were crossing traffic, pretty much all the burden falls upon you not to impeded the traffic already flowing, even if it happens to be cruising in the shared center lane. Those people driving in that lane don't owe anyone on a side street the right-of-way, which is how liability is oft decided.

There are LOTS of insurance companies to chose from, so it looks like you've got some leg-work. Is this your only car/ thing you have to insure? How old are you?

The one thing you don't want to happen is to have a gap in your coverage. If your Geico policy is still in effect and they aren't renewing you, then thats exactly how much time you have to act.

If you allow a gap in your coverage, ALL insurance companies will spike your rates for going uninsured.

18. nygiant

nygiant Member

i am 27, this is my only car...i have bike insured through progessive, and i have renters insurance through state farm. my policy expires 6/29

19. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Call state farm since you already have a policy with them

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

20. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Any of your family members in the Military?

USAA is pretty awesome. We're paying $110 a month right now for two cars and my wife has more than a few tickets.

21. techlord

techlord Active Member

what's your record look like? Geico, Progressive and the like are for High Risk drivers. With a clean record you cannot beat a Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Nationwide, etc..

I pay 1600 a year for 4 vehicles 2 of which have full coverage and I am not at the state minimums.

22. nygiant

nygiant Member

will it help that i don't commute because i work from home? i mostly use the car for groceries, errands, and any other stuff that requires me to need trunk space. so i drive, at most, a few times a week. all other times, i ride the cbr

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

best thing for you to do is take a defensive driving course.

24. Matt

actually, it will. You can put on the application that you're only driving it so many miles per month and the lower it is, the better. I think I put 10 miles max per day on mine...but my commute is 18 miles one way :rofl:

25. John

John Active Member

My driving record is close to spotless. I don't have any moving violations and 1 accident. My accident was stupid too. I was stopped in a parking lot, and someone backed out of their parking space into the side of my car. Their insurance had me in a rental and my car in the shop within a few hours.

I pay WAY less then then you are for my 01 Taurus and 95 Subaru.

26. Matt

2 old ass cars (no offense) will most always be cheaper than 4 newer cars. ;)

27. cMags

cMags Member

So like I was trying to say before the phone deleted half of my post...

I also work from home and in my experience, you should be able to have the ins. co. mark your car as a "pleasure" or "extreme pleasure" class, meaning you drive less than X miles per year. I'm with State Farm atm, and in the lowest mileage class as less than 7k per year. It saves me about $15/month. When I called them, they did ask for the current odo reading, and said they'd check in on it periodically, but they haven't yet in about 8 months. I'm not worried about it because I was honest with them, as I only drove about 3k last year.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  28. Alex

Did you call Liberty Mutual yet?

29. Matt

weird. they've never done that with me.

30. nygiant

nygiant Member

Day 1 of Insurance Search

-Get an email from geico confirming my policy renewal, billing cycle, and available policy docs online...which is confusing since I received a non-renewal letter on Friday. Need to call and see whats up....new renewal price is saying 1900/6 months compared to original 640/6 months

-State farm (live agent) said I was uninsurable

31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Yikes! Is there more that your not telling? 2 small accidents doesn't seem like enough to get all the hassle your getting....

32. nygiant

nygiant Member

two accidents and stop sign ticket

33. nygiant

nygiant Member

not yet....its on the to-do list

34. nicali

nicali Member

I had a friend (with Nationwide) that had a problem where she was told that they were not going to renew her policy. She called them and they said the reason was because the head office couldn't locate / or had missing information regarding her driving record they were unable to verify. She ended up sending them a copy of her license before they were able to verify their information. Nationwide had missed a digit in her drivers license number, and thought that she no longer had a valid license. It was a simple mistake but took 2 or 3 calls to resolve. Then they decided to confirm they were renewing her policy.

35. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

hello...citation...

36. nygiant

nygiant Member

37. gfred024

gfred024 Member

I have 5 speeding tickets 1 in a school zone, a break in claim, and an excessive tint ticket. I'm with progressive and pay $127 a month.

38. nygiant

nygiant Member

this literally made me LOL and dont know why.
    wtf man, how'd you pull that off?

39. Matt

I read that as you were caught breaking into someone's property...

was gonna make a mental note to stay away from you. :p

40. Matto357

He lives far away, we're safe.

41. nygiant

nygiant Member

Day 2 of Insurance Search

-State Farm agents from around the metro area keep calling and emailing and harassing me, only to find out that their system said i was uninsurable.

-Alex, Hannah wanted 3900 for the year...one of the highest

-Progressive might shed some hope...210/month for basic.....as well as amica....246/month with the highest coverages i've ever had on a vehicle (talking 100k+ prop/bodily and 500 deducts)

-21st Century sends me emails every 3 hours or so, all with different rates in the $2k/6 month range. i hit the unsubscribe from future emails button

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  42. Matto357

I just don't get how you can be so uninsureable. Is your credit shot to hell or something?

I'm not insurance agent but insurance is based on driving history and credit score. Even guys with DUI's can get cheaper insurance than you. Just weird.

43. nygiant

nygiant Member

i'm a single guy, no kids, bachelors, working on masters, credit not bad, but not excellent since my cred cards are a bit high bc i was living off of them while i was unemployed during part of dec, january, and part of feb, paying those off slowly.

what i keep getting from the agents is that its the accidents so close together

44. trouble06

trouble06 Member

Again, give a shot a UNITRIN DIRECT!

45. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Safe Auto or Esurance?

Looks like no matter what, you are gonna have to pay a fortune. Sorry.

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Bunch of bull. I got in 3 accidents in 3 months years ago.

#1 Tropical storm rolling through. I'm headed home in the Honda Accord. My tires were shot. Hit a deep puddle and hydroplaned. Jumped the ditch and into the field backwards. Drove car right out the field by driving right back through the ditch (wasn't much of a ditch more a slope). Only damage was back bumper paint cracked up. Comprehensive natural disaster claim and got it fixed.

#2 Eagle talon. Just got it up and running from sitting for quite a while. Rear diff started whining on me on the trip from the friends house to home. i was 2 miles from home.....rear diff locked up (I was unaware that the rear diff fluid had been leaking from the axles and it was virtually dry). Locked going around a curve and flipped the car after hitting the ditch. Had bare minimum insurance and lost the car totally. That was $3000 gone.

#3 Honda Accord again. Had a long history of psycho ex-fiancee problems. her now husband cut my brake lines just enough that they only burst went I slammed on them. Had a truck in front of me merge and slam brakes to make a turn at last minute. I slammed brakes and nothing. BAM under the truck I went. That car was fixed but never drove the same and had frame damage.....traded it on Subaru.

My insurance on the brand new then Subaru was $290 a month for 4 years...then it dropped significantly due to good record. I was never dropped.

You are getting screwed and I hate it for you. You must be under 25 years of age. If so I bet that's what is hurting you more than anything.

47. nygiant

nygiant Member

tried that...they're quote wasnt as bad as the 3k+ every six months but wasnt as good as progressive's 210/month. unitrin wanted 310/month

48. nygiant

nygiant Member

nah i'm 27

49. nygiant

nygiant Member

fuckin crazy shit:|

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Tell me about it. However I had some friends tell me after the accident that this dude was saying I got pwned. My body shop confirmed the brake line on the pass side had a nice clean cut just to the outside of the inner diameter. I hired a private investigator who is also a state trooper. Somehow he got the dude to admit (I think he said he had clear evidence and the time to admit it would be then) that he did mess with my brakes. Dude spent Christmas holidays in jail. Then in court the judge threw the case out (I'm betting his parents paid someone as they are very well off). At that point I just let it be as it wasn't worth the hassle and aggravation to pursue.