Bell Helmets at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Fast Joe, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Fast Joe

Fast Joe New Member

Don't know if any of you guys know that Wal-Mart now sells Bell DOT approved helmets. I found about 20 on the shelf at the store here in Florida. They offer different colors and of course different sizes that you can try on in the store. I found them in the automotive section. I picked up one tonight for Rolling_trip for about $77. If anyone is looking for one try Wal-mart.

Brian

2. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i thought wall mart always sold bell DOT approved helments?

3. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

Are they SNELL approved?

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

They are motor cycle helmets. The one's I saw are not SNELL approved. They will work at the drag strip unless you are running fast enough to need a cage. I am not sure if they will work at auto-x or HPDE events.

5. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You MUST have a SNELL M95 or better for SCCA autox events! I have heard that larger road courses (Road Atlanta) require SNELL SA not M. Please don't purchase a DOT helmet for autox events or track days.

6. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yeah... DOT helmets from walmart don't work, and you will be forced to wear one of those nasty spare helmets :)

--
    Brian

7. Fast Joe

Fast Joe New Member

I guess you guys have already answered the questions about the helmet. I guess if Rolling _trip needs a snell approved helmet for anything but the strip then he can use mine and save the cash.

Brian

8. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i guess so, the married couple has spoken

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

just bring yourself a head condom ;)

10. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

sorry im not too familiar with helmets. Whats the difference between a DOT approved helmet and a SNELL approved one? Does it havce to be approved in Snellville ? :hahano: jk

11. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Just different rating systems. Snell is geared toward performance use as opposed to DOT for road (motorcycle) use I believe.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Snell (SA) is for tracking peoples, its rated to protect your noggin at a high speed, where as the walmart dots are for less of a speed / impact. Also, some SA's are nomex lined as well.