Beretta or Glock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm looking to buy a handgun, which make is the best as far as reliability and quality. I've only ever shot Glocks...

I was either looking at the Glock 27 .40 cal or the Beretta 9000S .40 cal.

Beretta
    [​IMG]

Glock
    [​IMG]

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Don't care for the .40 in any flavor to be honest... I'd go with a 1911 model .45 in any reputable brand. Can't go wrong.

3. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

i've got the 27....no problems @ all & easy to conceil <sp?> too:naughty:

u would need the clip extender tho.....helps for all 4 fingers to grip

4. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Also look at the Springfield XD line.

5. ddwyer50

ddwyer50 Member

glock .40 for sure

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Im sure you cant really lose with either to be honest.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

I've looked on a few different websites at the reviews on both guns... and their pretty damn close. Its about 3 1/2 to 4 stars for both guns. I'm just always around cops, and a couple swat guys, and they ALL say to just go with Glock, but they can't tell me a reason not to go with a Beretta. For a $100 less, the Beretta is basically the same gun with a little less recoil and a little stiffer trigger, but I'm not doing competition here so...

8. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Yes I'll take any XD over any glock any day. Not that glocks are bad but try shooting a springfield xd and you'll understand.
    And they just came out with a compact .45 , so you can step up to the big boy round and still conceal carry.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

glock is also american made, beretta is not correct? that's your main ticket everyone supports it imo :)

10. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

I would go with either the Glock 31C or the H&K USP 45. We used the Glock 31C at my old police department and I really liked the way it shot. That is a .357 sig round that packs almost the same punch as a 357 magnum in an automatic shell. The H&K is not on the list, but about the same price and a very well made piece...wish I had never sold mine :/ But, I will own another in the future. The .45 packs a punch and is a commonly available round.

Personally I think all the 1911 style guns are just outdated crap, but that is me. I have shot quite a few, as there were several police officers I knew that swore by them, but I just really did not like the way any of them shot...and they were all tricked out and had all the custom goodies on them. I now own an old .357 magnum S&W revolver and a Keltec .32 auto super compact. Don't forget about the 9mm either. They are cheap to buy ammo for, pack a good punch, and shoot well. Remember, if you can put 1 round to the head and 2 to the body, it does not really what the caliber is, they will probably go down. There have been more people killed by .22's and .32's than just about any other round on the streets. Most of that is just because they are cheap, but it just goes to show that they can kill just as easy as the 50000mm hand cannon that some people buy. The main thing is how good of a shot you are.

I guess the main thing this all comes down to is which you like to shoot. I would not buy a gun before shooting it. If they won't let you shoot it before purchasing it, go somewhere else that has some demos available and try them out. Everyone is going to have their preference.

Also what purpose are you buying the gun? Target practice, personal defense, concealed carry? Each is going to have advantages and disadvantages to it. Kinda hard to conceal a full sized .45 caliber pistol. Real easy to conceal a .32! And I have to agree I am not a fan of any make or model of .40 caliber....lots of negatives, not too many positives. There are rounds that can do anything a .40 can better.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

try to rent either at a range, and fire them, and then break them down (after cool). whichever feels best in your hand and strips easiest is yours.

12. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

if you get a 26 or 27 Glock get an extended clip or short clip end attachment for your pinky

we should have a contest for dismantling and reassemble a gun to its basic components (unloaded of course) blindfolded since there is nothing much to do in winter

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thread jacking here but I am looking for a good .22 handgun myself. I just want something I can play around with and shoot tons of bullets for cheap but also want a good shooting gun yet not breaking the bank. Any suggestions on those?

14. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

^Browning Buckmart, Beretta Neo, and Ruger makes one as well

/threadjack

15. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

+1 for the glock.

16. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

The XD is excellent. I have a 9mm from back when they were imported under 'HS Arms' as an HS2000.

17. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

I have the the glock 30 which is a .45 cal and it is much nicer then the s&w I had..

18. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

The XD has more safety features than the glock does and in-hand, is easier to aim and shoot.

19. Greg

Greg Active Member

The XD is a little too big for what I'm looking for

20. I would buy the largest caliber that I can shoot ok. I prefer Berettas but the glocks are ok(they(the berettas) look more gunlike to me .). My wife has the 9000 in a nine.It shoots nice . I usu carry a 40 or occasionally a 9 . Never without my pocket pal a 32 auto beretta.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  21. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I have the glock 21 (.45 cal) and decided on it over the beretta and 1911 "flashy tricked out" guns. The sandy springs police i asked all recommended the glock21 as a personal defense gun. I liked the way it fired and the fact that it was neigh indestructible and rounds were easy to obtain. The beretta was my second choice though. As to the glock having fewer/no safeties, it has 3 internally, although no external push button safety. I think you wanted something smaller so maybe the glock 37 would be more to your liking.

I agree with whoever recommended that shooting at a range is the best bet since you can rent 4 or 5 for the hour and pay only a few $$ per gun. Eds guns up off 75 has a fairly wide selection and you can call to see if they have one for you to try out. I would buy ammo and clips elsewhere though.

Good luck with the decision!

22. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm kinda leaning towards the Beretta 9000S due to the close similarites to the Glock and the lower price. This isn't going to be for CCW and it won't be shot all that much. Just for regular maintenance and self protection.

23. crashtke

If you are going to conceal carry, go with the Keltec. I have one and love it. The .380's are pretty decent, but I liked the .32 better personally. If you are just getting something to shove in a glove compartment, go with a glock or H&K. Remember reliability is also an issue. If it jams or does not cycle ammo well or even just plain breaks, it is not worth much. The police use Glock and H&K for a reason. They are nearly indestructible and take a ton of abuse. I wore mine in every kind of weather imaginable as a cop and never had one issue....at all. The baby glocks are ok too, but just never felt as good in my hand as the Keltec. You can pick up a Keltec for around $225-300 and it is also a polymer frame style like the glock and H&K. But again, go shoot them all and see what you think.

24. A couple of years ago went to buy a gun or 2 for me and the misses.( ended up with a handful of em ) Tried all the major brands and some not so major.The Glock and Beretta were the only 2 that performed flawlessly. Also felt the best, easiest to shoot, etc.Wife is petite yet does well with 9000s in d.a. ( double action only).My pocket pistol is beretta 3032 32. auto. 8 rounds -stainless was 300$ new.

25. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Why don't we setup a Counter Strike 2 server someplace and test out these guns on each other? :p

26. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I had an XD9 as a carry gun, me and my brother put 2000 rounds through it in one day at the range without cleaning it, it never jammed, never miss fired, or anything. You should shoot an XD before you pass judgement, if you shoot it and a glock I doubt you will buy a glock.

On another note, Smith and Wesson 329 PD AirLite 2lb gun 44 Mag, thats what I carry when I'm in the subbie. 44 Mag kills bad guys dead.....and maybe the two bad guys behind them....ok not really but big calibers do generate a lot of balistic energy.

I personally like 44 mag, 45acp, 357mag.

There are a lot of good guns out there and most people are more than willing to let you put a couple of rounds through theirs, all you have to do is ask.

27. Greg

Greg Active Member

I've got a place if everyone wants to bring guns and go shooting :)

28. slowwrx

Now that sounds like fun.

Matt

29. Went with wife and brother and friends on Xmas. 3+ hours of anything fron 22 short up to 44magnum, .223. .45 etc. I shot about 200 rounds of ammo alone.There were 5 of us. I'm sure it sounded like a terrorist attack to the neighbors.

30. slowwrx

Nothing says fun like 44 Magnum. I love mine. I lit off a couple of my dads hand loads last time I was at the range, now thats some good stuff.

31. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I say you gotta go with the Glock. I've shot both a good bit and I definitely think I can hit better witht the Austrian piece.

The Beretta is pretty relaible. It's the official handgun of the Army, but I wish we would go to something smaller, (not in caliber) and lighter.

32. crashtke

I smell a G2G coming! I can bring a .357 mag and my keltec .32 auto. Might be able to get my hands on a couple more. Saturday and sunday afternoons are good for me.

33. RADON

RADON Member

The Glock 23 is standard FBI issue. As always, get a gun that you can shoot well.

34. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Totally. I used to be pretty good at rifles but have never tried a pistol.

35. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'll bring my AR and my 12 Gauge for added fun!

36. Greg

Greg Active Member

I have a .308 rifle thats fun for target shooting

37. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

What type? Don't tell me you have an AR-10 or an FN/FAL laying around.....

38. crashtke

I was actually piecing together an AR-15 when I was on the police force...got an upper and lower just sitting around collecting dust. I would have preferred an AK-47 clone, but it was not allowed to be carried. Now that I quit police work I will probably get rid of them and try to find a decent semi-auto AK clone.

39. slowwrx

What brand upper and lower, I might be interested.

I've got one 1911 I built from the ground up I would like to have a matching rifle, I wouldnt mind taking an AR apart and using that.

Matt

40. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I've come close to picking up an AK clone several times... they have'em for $300 all day at gun shows...

41. crashtke

I belive it is Century Arms for the lower, I will have to look and find the upper. I bought this brand based on reviews of half the police department. Many had Colt, Bushmaster and RRA and they were good, but they guys that bought this brand lower really seemed to have a well put together gun. Seems to be made to tighter tolerances. It is an AR-15 lower with a flat top upper. My original plan was to go with flip up front and rear sights with an optic mounted as well. I used that setup in training and really liked it.

42. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I have a RRA and its pretty nice...

43. cannarella

cannarella Member

Let's get something together. I saw that someone said they have a place where we can shoot. I am open just about any Sat and on Sun after church. I have a 1911 Colt Combat Commander, Ruger 10/22, Lady Smith .38, and Browning BuckMark .22 I can bring.

Do we need to agree on some range rules for safety if we go somewhere since there will be a lot of people with guns? I know that last time I went with some friends they "said" that they knew what they were doing, but did not practice safe gun handling techniques.

44. Greg

Greg Active Member

I have a Remmington 700 series .308

45. cannarella

cannarella Member

46. crashtke

I think that would be a very good idea. I have been pretty freaked out in the past when I have gone shooting with friends. Usually following the rules that the range has in place is sufficient, but everyone needs to know those rules and follow them for things to go smooth. Best just to set down the range rules before ever going in to shoot. There is a new place in Oakwood, near James and I that is very reasonable. $15 to shoot as long as you want, then you just pay for ammo and targets. As I understand you also can bring your own ammo if you have it.

47. cannarella

cannarella Member

Is it indoors or outdoors? I would prefer outdoors so we can shoot water bottles and full soda cans. Boom... I have gotten into shooting paint balls out at the WMA with the .22 rifle. It is hard but fun.

Andy

48. Greg

Greg Active Member

That place in Oakwood is supposed to be pretty nice. They'll let you rent guns also

49. crashtke

It is indoors. But is, from what I hear, very nice range and decent length...not too many commercial ranges that are outdoors taht I know of. There was one in Athens that was an outdoor public range.

50. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

Glock is Austrian made, whilst I believe the Beretta is american made.

Craig