Best place for ATL night shot w/o getting mugged

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by MrCoffeeATL, Aug 17, 2006.

1. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

So i want to get some sunset/night shots of atlanta and was curious what people thought the best locations would be. I was going to try the end of the 17th street bridge or the top level of parking decks at atlantic station. Anyone know of any good places other than those? Safe places are preferable as i've had friends doing shots of cleveland get harrased by bums and cops.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

17th street bridge is great.. prettty safe too.

other than that cnat think of too many places that are safe.. my apartment has a nice view =)

3. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I don't know how safe it is but I've seen lots of people with cameras taking pics of atlanta on Freedom Parkway near Boulevard.

4. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Cool, i forgot my tripod in sandy springs but hopefully sat or sunday i can get some shots. Thanks for the input guys :)

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

peidmont park is nice too

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Parts of Howell Mill and Atlantic Station would treat you nicely

7. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Never thought of Howell Mill. I'll post up my shots once i get em (sunday maybe?)

8. blink

blink Member

Well if you want that classic shot you always see of downtown atlanta.. go to the overpass on Jackson St, which is the overpass you go under when you take freedom, right at the MLK memorial.

Overpass directions: http://tinyurl.com/el565

the shot: http://tinyurl.com/g9sjb

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

wow amazing shot blink

10. flip

flip Member

the centenial parking deck across form the cnn center. the top is awesome, it's right next to "bed" the club/hotel, and they have some awesome lights on the side of their building, you also get some big buildings like the westin in the background... very safe... and at night no one parks up there so you'll have the whole thing to yourself... go after 11:30pm ish so you don't get stuck paying to get out of the deck ;)

11. flip

flip Member

thats where i got this:

[​IMG]

12. Deke

Deke Active Member

Top level of most parking garages. The Tech Hotel garage has a pretty nice view. Other than that I'd say 17th street/Atlantic Sation.

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

^^^ i agree... tech hotel parking deck has a nice view

14. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

If you know where a good spot is post up directions or a mapquest link.

Thanks blink for the info, I will have to try that out!

15. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I tried the 17th street bridge (and there is even a little turnoff to park on on the eastern side of the bridge) but the fence got in my way and the angle was not perfect (hehe yea i know i know). I may try this one spot on 14th just up from 75/85. If it works out i'll post a googlemap location. I want to try Jackson st and the tech hotel at some point too when time permits. If anyone else wants company some night to try a shoot i'd be up.

16. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Yeh, we may need to start a photo op meet!

17. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'd be more than happy to (especially if it's on top of the tech hotel garage. I'd have to clean my car first though...

18. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

very nice

19. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

flip you got a full size pic to the one in your avatar?
    hehe

20. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I'll be doing more city shots than anything else so whenever you feel like making it a picture night gimmy a ring. I'm just up on druid hills off 85 so i'm 10 min from tech.

21. flip

flip Member

Haha, i do somewhere, gotta find it :). It was some experiment they did to see if the length of the intake had much effect on HP :).

22. flip

flip Member

Also, theres another photo op on the CNN deck. On the back theres a old coal mill looking building with some cool graphiti on it. Early in the morning (like 6:30ish) nobody's parked there so it'd be perfect... Sun coming up would be a nice touch too...

23. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

my secret space is ikea and the area around king plow, marrietta st. ikea is all new and shiney :p

24. I have a lot of areas nobody really knows about downtown. Im willing to share, but not online.

25. Deke

Deke Active Member

haha

26. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Anyone want to get together tonight or tomorrow (or some other night) and do a few places maybe around atlantic and/or tech?

27. Im down for Friday night possibly.

28. Hmmmm....What time on Friday i might drive up. Its a 2 hour drive from here.

29. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I'd be up for friday. Were we thinking sunset shots or full night shots? Friday sunset is at 8:12 and should have little cloud cover and a sliver moon till 9ish.

30. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Eh my friday just got complicated so i'm out for tomorrow. Maybe we could set something up for a later date :)

31. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

what about the other secret place :keke: :pssh:
    hahaha just playing

32. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i thought we weren't going to talk about THOSE places in public, eric :naughty:

34. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

oh stop :pssh:
    :rofl:
    ooook sorry back on topic