Photography: Best way to clean lenses (camera)?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, May 17, 2011.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Two of my lenses are in need of a good cleaning -- is it worth doing this myself or should I send them off?

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

We talking under the glass cleaning?

I'm sure there are guides online about how to clean just about every lens out there. I've always been iffy about pulling my lenses apart though. My wife has a shop she uses that is local and does great work, (they replaced the shutter on one of her cameras in two days, so you can rush turnaround) I'll send you the info when I get it from her.

Found it.

http://www.keh.com/

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. Alex

Ah, you need to send the equipment in to them? Thanks for the link!

4. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I've heard good things about KEH, my sisters fiance has bought a lot of old school DX lenses from them.

I just got back my nikkor 24-70 from nikon after it got knocked off of a table. No glass damage just knocked the Autofocus out of calibration by a bit. Nikon ended up, cleaning, giving me a whole new AF module, new rubber grips, and the whole top half of the lens barrel for free. I can't figure out why because the lens has been out of warranty for two years.

obviously mileage will vary. but I think KEH or another certified Nikon repair place is the way to go.

5. 97s14

97s14 New Member

If you are ever in the Gwinnett area this is the company that I use.

Camera Repair Japan
    (770) 849-0555

6. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I've always just dropped it off since they are local.

7. Alex

Do you work for them? I recall approving an account for the site who's IP resolved to that business, recently.

I must have missed that, thanks.

8. 97s14

97s14 New Member

No I just work less than a mile from them so its more convienent for me and they also do good work.

9. Alex

Awesome. What's the average turn around time for an average lens cleaning?

10. 97s14

97s14 New Member

For cleaning it costs about $15.00 and the turn around time is usually a day or same day.

11. liltoua

liltoua Member

HAHA, yea there is a new member that just bought a WRX and her family actually owns the place. That's right I said "HER" HAHA. She said she was going to come out to the next meet with me to meet you guys b/c she feels awkward being like 1 of the 2 girls on here.