Best ways to store my sti?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Intrigue2727, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

So I just lost my DL for 2 years for being a habitual violator for crap that happend back in 2004. i am so pissed. so i guess i am going to keep the sti, and i need to know of good ways to store it?

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

2 years? Damn! you could find a storage unit big enough to fit cars.

3. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

i do, but should i put it up on jack stands, and do i need to put any thing in the gas tank

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

i would sell the car

5. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

If he cant drive for 2 years he will save alot of money (gas/ insurance) If he uses the excess cash to by parts he will have a bad ass STI when he gets back into it!

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Sell it and save for an 08

8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ Agree.... sell it/part it out and be done with it.

By the time you get your DL back, you'll want something else, or there will be bigger and badder things out.

9. Trey

Trey Active Member

He'll save even more money not paying on a parked car for two years. Just sell it now while it's worth something then buy another one in two years for a cheaper price....then mod that one. ;)

10. WJM

WJM Banned

How much do you want to sell it to me for?

11. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

(That's looks like Will's pulling a smooooth dibs. ) hehe

12. WJM

WJM Banned

Well, I either need an 05 STi or a 2000 2.5 RS Sedan w/Coupe wing....in either Silver or BRP.

But I am looking for a 99 Coupe in 555 New Mica Blue. RS must be 5MT.

13. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I'll let you keep it in my garage for the low, low price of me driving it when it snows/rains...

Seriously though, sucks that you lost your DL!

14. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

i really don't wnat to sell i love the car. its in my garage right now. i will buy parts when ever i can. then when i get my dl back straight to battlegroung for a tune

15. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

if i'm not mistaken the best way is to have it started and run for a little while each week. you really don't want to let it sit for that long.

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

you dont have to store it.. just cause you lost your DL doest mean you cant start it..

17. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'll drive it once a week for you...

18. Trey

Trey Active Member

So you are gonna make 24 monthly car payments for a car you can't even drive? That's crazy IMO. There will be a crap ton of used STis out there when you get your DL back and you can use the money you saved alone for a down payment. :rofl:

19. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

i have a friend whos cars been in the shop for about 2 1/2 years.. worth waiting if you love your car imo..

20. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

By then his car will be closer to being paid off if it wouldnt be already, so why buy another car and make payments when he can have a paid off one to play with.

21. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I think Trey is thinking that he can save the money with insurance, car payments and registration for the next 2 years. Hell, what I would do is take all that money every month anyway, and put it into a savings account. That way you're making some money off it. Then, in 2 years when he gets his license back, he can take all that cash and purchase another STi outright without having the payments, and you'll save a good bit of money from interest.

In reality what I would do is take about half of the monthly payment, insurance, and registration fees and put those in the bank. Don't touch them. Then in 2 years, that will one HELL of a down payment on another car, or repurchase another MY05 STi.

22. Matt

a registered car must be insured. it's a Georgia law...

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

store it and dont register it. lol

24. Matt

if he doesn't register it for 2 years, he will actually have to pay for those 2 years when he tries to re-register it. Not really getting away with anything there.

:(

25. Trey

Trey Active Member

Seems like Matt knows what the deal is. ;)

26. Matt

it just comes with age, my good man!!

I think that's a good thing!! :rofl: :(

27. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

i am turning the tag in tomorrow

28. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

You can get a "title only" title for the same price which allows you to keep the car, but not worry about emissions, as long as you don't drive it...

29. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

i wont be driven

30. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

my cousin's DL is about to be suspended for 3 years, but he hired an attorney to defend him in court next month. His attorney predicted that 1 year suspension will be enough for him. Have you tried to fight back to court with an attorney??

If you already tried everything, then I would recommend to sell it and forget about it for next two years. The temptation of driving it whenever you look at your STi will be hard to ignore!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  31. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Sell it, unless it's paid off...
    Making payments on a car you can't drive is dumb....

32. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

:werd:
    sell it and get one of these
    [​IMG]

33. ptc075

ptc075 Member

I'd also recommend selling the car & buying something different in 2 years.

But, if you're going to keep it, the tips baddriver linked are excellent. Honestly, if you can start & move the car once a month, you hardly need to do any of that (although I'd still recommend Sta-bil for the fuel). If you can not move the car, then I'd also recommend jacking the car to get the tires off the ground (prevents flatspotting). Now, tires will also eventually dry-rot if you let them sit long enough, although I don't think that will be a problem after only 2 years in a garage. Still, you might want to look into coating them with something.

-Chris!

34. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

My old galant sat in a garage and the tires went dry rot in a year. You gotta drive them around to get them heated up a bit to keep them sealed.

35. Trey

Trey Active Member

Put it on jack stands and take the valve stems out of the tires (lets the air out).

36. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I may be mistaken but i purchased a car and did not register for several months and only had to pay a standard $25 fee for not having registration. This may be a different situation though.

I also agree that you should keep it and work on payin it off and in two years you'll have an asset.

37. slowwrx

You should never consider a car an asset, a car is one of the worst investments you can make.

38. Greg

Greg Active Member

Since he asked for advice on how to store it, and not what he should do.....

If it was me, I'd start tearing it down to build. Pull the engine, tear it down to the block, and start buying parts with the insurance and gas money your saving... By the time 2 years is up, I'd prob have close to $12,000 spent on it. ($235/mo for insurance and about $65/week on gas) That'd be a badass car, and not to mention it would be done right because theres no reason to rush anything. I would pull the engine, tear it down on a stand, and coat everything in oil real good, then throw an engine bag over it. That'd take care of that, and then just empy the gas tank and remove the valve stems...
    Thats just what I'd do though...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  39. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

Greg has a good idea.:hsugh::naughty:

40. slowwrx

If he has it financed then he has to have it insured so he won't be saving any insurance money.

41. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

"by the time u get ur dl back..there won't even be cars...we'll all be flying around in little spaceships"...heh sorry jk. I'd honestly sell the car...you may be tired of it by the time u get ur dl back...plus like others said there will be something out better u may like..etc...and also paying for something you can't drive would be hard to justify and not to mention a big tease!!!.. keep us updated!