big 3 DIY cables

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

ummm....that is AC cable with solid core....you need a multi-strand cable if you plan on running it for car applications.

GO here for car uadio power cable.
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/

3. Mad Mallard

it is stranded, the strands are just big.

its not solid core.

---

and Knu's choices...

Kandy is aluminum, KCA is aluminum, and Kolossus is almost triple cost... :(

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I can verify. knu makes GREAT cabling which is well worth the money.

5. integroid

For one why do you think you need 1/0 cable?

Second....the stuff I found was only $1.75 a foot. The building wire you have listed is $1.69 a foot. http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-a...e-10-ultra-fleks-blue-cca-power-ground-cable/

Also, that stuff is pretty much considered solid core when it has that low amount of strands for a 1/0 cable. It is designed for high voltage...not high amperage. You know do what you want and have fun running the building stuff in your car.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Why are you running home electrical wiring in an automobile?

You can't beat knukoncepts stuff. It's really good wiring.

7. Mad Mallard

a fair question, for a while now i have significant erratic dimming on idle of my lights, inside and out. Battery and alternator pass tests with flying colours. stereo is off, so is not a contributor, no other devices connected to electrical system.

Everything i've read had suggested to me to increase the electrical charging systems' flow by performing the big 3 plus adding key grounds.

their KCA product is 90% aluminum. I was looking to get copper, and their Kolossus is the only full copper they offer, but at 3 times the price.

8. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

My 05' did the same thing at idle. It lasted about a year. Then my alternator + battery died. New alternator + battery lessened it, but you could see it happen on the dash. The mileage window specifically. I never figured it out.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

#4 ground wire from a welding supply store will do just fine.

10. integroid

If you are only replacing the grounds, 4 gauge wire from pretty much anywhere will be plenty. I personally would use a multi strand car audio cable.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

while not flashy the welding ground cable is multi-strand and the insulator will take all the heat and abrasion you can throw at it without the added cost of some fancy name and packaging. Added bonus is that most places don't charge extra to crimp lugs on if you know the lengths needed.