Big turbos and A/O separators

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is it possible that my GT35R creates enough vacuum in the intake that it is drawing out anything from inside my IXIZ AOSep and pulling it into the intake? I noticed quite a nasty bit of oil in my intake after getting all in boost? I wound out 3rd, 4th, and half of 5th gear and noticed the oil later when I was cleaning up the engine bay and getting ready to send my piping off to get powder coated.

I have heard of many Crawford units doing the same thing.

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

I think you should just sell your car and memories for the asking price of $30,000.00 and just be done with it.

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

it's possible...we're thinking the same thing is happening with my car. Crankcase pressure built up and popped out the dipstick at the dyno day yesterday and everybody thought my car blew up. I think there's a problem with the plumbing, I just haven't geeked out enough yet to figure it out. I was talking about it w/ Ball, Nicad and Kokepeli and we're talking about the flaws the stock plumbing contains. Once we break it down, I'll let you know what we find.

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Can the two of you sketch something up so I can see how you have everything plumbed?

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

There's a good article about this on one of the mustang forums, I'll see if I can find it and post a link. If memory serves right it ties back into the oil fill kind of like the Prova AOS

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

where does the ixiz unit return the oil to? back to a head vent?

also, for reference
    [​IMG]

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The IXIZ returns the oil right back to the crankcase vent that supplies the vapors to begin with. I'm getting nasty mustard like crap into my intake (water condensation mixing). However in the engine my oil is as clean as can be.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

FYI JDM-STi was having the same issue I am with his Crawford unit which is plumbed just like mine.

Doug and Scott told him to route the intake pipe into a NOS energy drink bottle to catch the crap as they think the intake is too much vac. He did and voila he has had very little oil then.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It's plumbed just like IXIZ says to do it with the stock PCV removed and the throttle body port plugged.

10. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

if you run the ixiz with a pcv valve do you think it could cause the car to idle wierd???

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No it will not as I've tried it. However IXIZ's new instructions call for no PCV valve.

I just want the freaking thing to work right. Need to plumb mine into a catch can and see what I get.

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

if you're just plumbing the AOS drain into a can (and not back into the engine), why not just run a catch can?

anyway, if it's pulling too much vacuum, trying putting an orifice in the line

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think I misspoke or you misunderstood. Plumb the AOS 'outlet' (aka line that goes to the intake) into a can. This eliminates the possibility of a vacuum pulling stuff out of the AOS itself. That is what is happening to me. Same thing with JDM_STi until he did what I proposed.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug I know you have an excellent source with your new tech at the shop. What he say about the flat engines and AOS and how they should be plumbed etc?

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

gotcha. so instead of 25inHg you've got atmospheric pressure on the AOS. at that point, it's only going to evacuate the crankcase when it is greater than atmospheric pressure

16. integroid

I am so confused...I wish I understood how it worked. I looked at Drew's setup on Sat and it looks nothing like the way I have mine plumbed.

17. CoolRex: Doug is out back finishing up some fabrication, I will have him get on here as soon as he is done. I have a pretty good answer for you, but I will just let him tell you.

18. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

Yeah, all of the catch can/AOS plumbing is and can be quite confusing. I would like a better way to plumb it than what I have, mainly because I would like a closed system due to the smell. However, they way that I have it now works and works quite well for the most part. I'd like to have a vaccum source on my can while cruising. I just know that the intake isn't going to work because of all that get pulled into the intake tract at full boost. I thought about putting a port on the exhaust. Bigger brains out there than mine, what's the fix?

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well I stopped by the local machine shop and he showed me this electric vac kit they have. Looks just like the AOSep (not physically but how it works) I have except the intake line part is vented to atmosphere on the vac pump itself and you have a constant vac on the crankcase. I'm not sure if that is what I would want to do though.

Just like JDM-STi I would love a closed system that works and I DON'T want that putrid oil smell that I'm getting now due to an open system.

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thanks.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is basically what the machine shop showed me.

[​IMG]Similar to this but looks a lot different....same concept though.

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Another thought.....(btw sorry for the ignorance but who was I talking to on the phone earlier??? :rofl:) could it be my 3" intake that is the issue? My turbo is a 4" compressor housing.

23. integroid

The "S" style cover is not really a true 4" inlet...meaning the actual intake where the blades are is only 3" and the rest is there to help smooth the airflow.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Still could my 3" intake be the issue? I need to hook a gauge to the intake and see what it reads.

25. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

use the aos to drain most of the captured oil back into the pan. Then add a second catch can onto the hose going to the inlet. This way any extra oil not drained back will be caught before entering the intake system.

I have mine setup this way and it works great.. but I run the Crawford aos.

Edit:...seriously doubt it has anything to do with the 3" intake being to restrictive.

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Do you have issues smelling that funk on the second catch can? Is the second catch can vented at all?

27. Doug@DBW Motorsports

no smell... the second can is not vented at all. So all the smell goes out the exhaust.

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Confused here.....out the exhaust where and how? Is the second can simply a second can with one port to supply the extra oil and with maybe one bottom drain port?

29. integroid

Doug anyway you can take some pics and post up?

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah please!

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

why not use a check valve on the intake side that will close under boost? (hey that kind of sounds like a PCV valve....)

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Would that really be feasible though?

33. Doug@DBW Motorsports

if you took the one hose from the aos that goes to the intake pre-turbo. Cut that hose, and install a catch can that has one inlet and one outlet. The second can captures any excess oil but still allows the intake to pull vaccum on the crankcase. All the smell would then get sucked into the combustion process thus exiting through the exhaust.

Duh

34. Jake

Jake Active Member

is this not the same thing(same concept) as a (belt driven) smog pump found on most domestic cars nowadays?

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yes it is.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Okay so you still have the intake line hooked to the intake itself....just have a catch can inbetween the intake and the AOSep itself correct?

If so duh indeed! So any cheapo CC will work ;)

Thanks Doug.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  37. integroid

Wow, mine must be wqay off. I don't have anything hooked up to my intake. Doug, maybe my car needs to visit you soon:)

38. We like when cars come to visit! :) They always seem to leave happier!

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So was I correct when I said Doug is putting a catch can between the intake itself and the AOS?

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If you aren't pushing oil into the intake what's the worry? However your new motor probably will! Forged goodies are looser than stock.

41. Yes you are correct!

42. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

43. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

44. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

46. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I think you would be surprised. Andy has them on two cars that are daily driven with mufflers making over 700 hp currently. The "no muffler" thing is they are scared you will get the wadding in the mufflers oily.

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I bet those two cars push out a LOT more exhaust pressure than my car. No thanks....I don't want to spit crap in my exhaust. I'd rather catch it and dump it in a oil waste bucket.

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just heard back from Ming. He has a fix and will get back with me when he gets back home from where ever he is right now.

Intrigued to see what he says....says a catch can will not be needed.

49. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

keep me posted, i'm intrigued

50. integroid