BigBoosting in the Big City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BigBoosting, Apr 7, 2006.

1. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

BigBoosting in the Big City - Update: Found An Apartment

So looks like I'll be moving to Atlanta in a little over a month...

Graduating college, moving to the big city for a job, ha

The place I'm thinking about working is in Duluth... Anyone familiar with that area? Anyone from that area? How much can I expect to pay for a (nice) one bedroom apartment? Any suggestions of an apartment complex to look at? Areas to stay away from?

For those of you who have graduated recently, what's the salary range you make to live comfortably in the Atlanta area?

Just any general information you could give me to make the transition from being a small-town girl to a big city biotch a little easier :coolugh:

I haven't been to Atlanta much, so be extra descriptive :)

Thanks
    Erica

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  2. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Duluth isn't the city.....but it can be ghetto....I'll let other people explain.....guess it depends on what part of Duluth...

Edit: didn't want to scare ya....but if you work in Duluth your most likely not going to want to live in the city....you would be commuting outside of the city which wouldn't be too bad i guess because 90% of people are going the other way...but you'd probably want to find a apartment in a surrounding suburb like Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Alpharetta....and as far as apartments go....your looking at atleast $500-$600+ a month, depending on how nice you want it....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I think if I had a job in, or really near downtown I'd have to live in one of those highrises. Otherwise traffic would drive me completely out of my mind.

It's cool you're looking around this far in advance.

4. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

u will be welcomed to our little big city it's a fun place but the traffic scares alot of people.. dont worry be happy u will have fun

5. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Yeah not looking forward to the traffic at all. Even thinking about leaving the STi down here and getting an Accord or something to brave ATL traffic with. I don't imagine 6-puck will be too much fun in stop-and-go traffic

6. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

hey atlanta traffic is not that hard in which u have to leave ur sti..
    it's not that heavy it's okie.. i would 5 speed in traffic sometmes gets mad but if u know the local ways u would love ur 6 speed

7. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

a bunch of us live in the gwinnett area

8. Demo24

Demo24 Member

your near me but I'm still father up. Looks to me like you could live in the buford area and just commute down. The traffic on that part of 85 would not be as bad as when you get more into the city

9. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

If you go out a lot Atlanta can quickly become an expensive town to live in. It's a great town and it's not that bad driving in some traffic with a stick. You just end up planning your day around rush hour traffic unless you really have to go somewhere.

10. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

So true, also check out promove they are pretty good @ finding stuff in your price range. if lookin in alpharetta/sandysprings area call 404-252-4545 ask for justin dunne

11. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Thanks for all the tips

Yeah I'd move to Duluth, not Atlanta I guess. Being from down here, it all seems like the same place lol

12. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i wuold look into the lawrenceville, suwannee, sugarloaf area as well. Most of duluth has gone down hill and could get a few police calls here and there hehe. As for traffic its really not that bad unless your out on a friday at 5pm on the freeway. Getting a DD would probably not be to bad of an idea IMO. Bring the sti though so you can make some meets!

13. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Yeah ProMove Rocks!!!!...they get special deals that you often can't get by yourself...I used them on both of my apartment moves here:bigthumb:
    + you'll be surprised at the number of apartment complexes, I know i was when i first moved down here...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  14. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

seriously, bring the sti! that way i wont be the only female with an sti around here :)

15. Trey

Trey Active Member

I have an STi and drive it all the time, you'll be fine in Atlanta with yours.

Duluth sucks to live in tho, it's not a very nice place to live. I just moved from there last July to Suwanee. It's like a 10 minute drive to Duluth. Check it out. :)

16. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Your not the only one. Every couple months, we get a visit from Phatback.

17. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

It's true, the traffic isn't always bad. It's like someone else said, just don't get stuck on any of the freeways at 5.... or 4 for that matter, but one good thing is there's so much to do in the Atl. area.

18. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

So I'm coming up there tomorrow to meet with the company I may be working for. I meet them at 11....Guessing I'll leave here around 7am. 4 hours enough time? Am I going to run into heavy traffic?

19. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah, four hours is just about perfect from Statesboro. I can usually get into downtown from Ft Stewart in less than four, but I'd say you could give yourself a little extra since it's important.

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

Gwinnett sucks monkey balls. Except they do have Fry's and SoG. Any other county would be better.

21. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Agree completely. Southside is where its at.

22. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

True about Fry's and SOG.

Cobb's where it's at. :wavey:

23. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

I got the job, so definitely moving up now :)

Found an apartment in Suwanee I'm going to look at Saturday...good area?

24. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Suwanee? I'm not too familiar with it really. But then again I'm sort of inclined to say Marietta and Kennesaw > all else.... which is a joke BTW guys.

25. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Well I'm working in Johns Creek Tech Park in Duluth, so I don't want to have to take any sort of interstate to get to work. Just smaller roads, not like 75, 85, 285 or anything like that. I like name roads, not number roads

26. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

man, come on. you're young! live in the action. see it all before you decide anything. living near work has a way of making one be a home body. you'll love the vibe closer to the city. check out the decatur area. smaller town feeling. go see piedmont park in mid-town.

27. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

Suwanee is a decent area, it's between lawrenceville and duluth (sort of). just get a place there for a 6mo lease if you can and drive around, go to G2G's and get a feel for atlanta/metro area.

lots of people will tell ya that they're living in a great part of town (of course, because they're living there :p ) but you will need to ultimately decide what kind of lifestyle you want (and what is offered).

btw, congrats on landing the job ;)

28. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

I'm from a small town in GA, I love the feeling of a small town = no interstates, no traffic LOL

But monk's right, I can always move 6 months down the road

29. xjenjenx

xjenjenx Member

Congratulations!!:bigthumb:

yea, u should just live on peachtree ind blvd. i think. but there is a lot of traffic during rush hour on that rd too..

ah! THERE's just traffic everywhere. i hate 85 in the afternoons. why do i work so far away?!:wtc:

30. Trey

Trey Active Member

Go north on Peachtree Industrial Rd and you will be in Suwanee in 10 minutes.

Cobb (Kennesaw, Marietta) sucks even moreso than Duluth plus the traffic is horrid just going to the grocery store. :D

31. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

We have a few members who live out in Duluth (Weapon, Moose) so hopefully they'll chime in.

32. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Sorry to keep bringing this up

I think I'm moving in with a friend of mine at Post Brookhaven.

Anyone have experience with them? It's a little be farther than I wanted to drive, but I think Superdude has a point, I don't want to become a homebody because I live too close to work. This way I can still go out and have fun and stuff.

So, watchout.....I'm bringing the beast through ATL tomorrow to sign a lease, hopefully I'll run across someone while driving :)

33. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Suwanee is a very nice area. I wish I lived out there!!. Good Luck to you.

Mark

34. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

The post apartments are always a safe bet....they have many different "post" apartment complexes around the Atlanta surrounding areas;)

Edit additional info: you don't have to take major highways to get to Johns Creek....I work just past Johns Creek in Alpharetta...but I would be hesitant with McGinness Ferry which runs right into Johns Creek but it's only a single lane at some parts and can get very bottle-necked...you'll find that commute to be not so bad...Johns Creek is a nice area though....there's a Chipotle right there!!! :p

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  35. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Erica,

AMLI properties are nice also. I live at an AMLI complex and have been here for 6 years. They have very reasonable rent prices with W/D in the Apt.

Mark

36. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Yes, I was looking at AMLI in Suwanee. I think AMLI McGinnis Ferry. If it doesn't work out with my friend, that's probably where I'll go.

37. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I agree about Cobb. Suwanee is maybe where I am going to be living, it's all right, out there, but it's nice.

38. BigBoosting

BigBoosting Member

Ha, I ended up at Post Lenox Park.

Got accepted today, so that's where I'll be living starting May 8th.

So.....what's fun to do around there besides the mall? Anyone else live around there?

39. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ah neato, there is Atlantic Station just a few minutes away. Piedmont park is near as well. New attractions such as the aquarium shouldnt be too far either :)

40. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i live pretty close by... but i'll be gone over the summer

41. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Aqaurium is interesting, would recommend going in the morning though. LOTS of people there in the early afternoon

42. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I was gonna say the same thing.