Bill Gates - No longer the richest man in the world

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Weapon, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Ingvar Kamprad, the Swede who founded furniture retail chain IKEA, has overtaken Microsoft's Bill Gates as the world's richest man, Swedish TV news reported on Sunday.

Citing next week's edition of the Swedish business weekly Veckans Affarer, public service SVT2 television said Kamprad, 77, has a personal fortune of 400 billion crowns ($53 billion).

Gates's fortune is put at $47 billion, according to the latest list of the world's rich in U.S. Forbes magazine, SVT2 said.

Kamprad, known for frugal habits such as flying economy class, lives in Switzerland and no longer takes part in the daily running of IKEA, but has kept ownership of the company with more than 180 stores in over 30 countries in the family.

SVT2 said the dollar's slide against other currencies is the main reason why Kamprad has now overtaken Gates.

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Sweden Represent!

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Hah, this is wonderful.

4. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

he's worth 6 billion more huh? man that's gotta hurt bill.ha

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Does that mean that tomorrow, because of exchange rates, Gates may be the richest, only to flip flop back and forth with the Exchange.

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I bet that they don't care.....there still richer than 99.99999999999% of the PLANET!

7. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

thats cause he doesnt pay his employees jack
    <-- works at ikea

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It depends on what currency you're using. I think that using the british pound Kamprad has been on top for a while now.

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i thought it was gonna be someone that owned a company that sells gasoline and i wasnt going to be surprised as gas prices suck.

that guys barly got gates haha, you never would have thuoght ikea would do better than microsoft.

10. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I could use a little money if he has too much or something....

I'd be like fawk flying economy class though. I'd skip on trying to own my own jet, but I'd at least fly 1st Class.

11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

the world will be overrun by stylishly affordable bauhausian furniture... the end is nigh!!!11one!