Blaster's '06 Impreza WRC, kinda…

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by blaster, Nov 23, 2008.

1. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Since I've bought my WRX I've been totally in love with it. I've remembered how much fun it is to drive because of this car. Now, after seeing what all you guys do with yours, I didn't want to miss out on the fun.

The title's a little misleading, because while my '06 CGM wagon will probably be staying bone-stock, I have a little something different in mind for my member journal. Here I'm chronicling my build-up of a paper 2006 Impreza WRC.

I just got started over the weekend, but in the end it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's the kit:
    http://www.scoobyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/WRC_2006.zip

Here are the tools:
    [​IMG]

I'm using a razor because I feel like I have better control with that than I do with an x-acto knife. I've got acrylic matte medium to act as a fast-drying brushable glue (which explains the brush). I've also got a dried-up pen and tweezers for scoring and folding. My fiancé thinks I'm crazier now than I was when I bought my wagon, which says a lot.

Here's the small bit of progress I've made so far:
    [​IMG]

I've got a whole passenger seat and part of a bumper! I've also made a little progress on some smaller pieces, but they're largely unidentifiable right now.

I'm not sure how long this will take, but I'll keep you all posted.
    Wish me luck.

2. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Good luck with it! It looks like too much pain for me to even contemplate. I'd buy a kit and paint it and such before i do it from scratch. It's like baking a cake from scratch instead of getting a boxed one.

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I've got one of those from the 02 WRC car down at my parent's house. There used to be a website with hundreds of paper outlines to make little model cars. I remember there being NSXs, Vettes, WRXs, S2Ks, etc but the whole site was in Japanese.

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I have a pdf of formula 1 cars to make somewhere

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Good luck dude. I have tried in the past to make these paper models, and they are tough as shit. I failed trying to build an Evo, and also trying to do a Honda CBR. In my defense, I was trying to do it at work, using scissors and tape.

6. blaster

I did scissors and tape at work for a one-sheet bugeye WRC. It's ugly to say the least.

7. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

I did a one sheet datsun 510 paper model. It turned out clean but simple.

8. blaster

So I've been cutting out more stuff, but not really too much worth showing. I've got a hood scoop, though! Now I just have to cut out the rest of the hood…

Today, though, I wanted to make some more real progress, so I cut out Mr. Solberg's seat. Now I have two seats completed!

[​IMG]

To all those who said this would be a gigantic pain in the ass, you're totally right. I'm either going to be able to keep my sanity by seeing this through, or I'm going to totally lose my mind.

9. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

God bless the fact that you have time to make paper models, that in intself is a thing of beauty!

10. blaster

I don't typically have a whole lot going on at home during the holidays. It's a blessing and a curse.