Blow'd up 08 STI

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Biggis, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggis

Biggis Member

So I'm pretty sure my slut of a car is now a victim of 'sploded ring lands.

It has been stutterinng (acceleration hesitations, feeling like a bad fuel pump etc) for a while now, I took it to SoG, they said nothing was wrong. (It has also been way down on power, were talking like moped-esque speeds here)

Cut to this morning when I start the slut to go to the store, and it looked like a spy hunter smoke screen. The smell of burned oil filled the cabin as soon as I opened the door.

I am a sad panda.

I made a huge mistake buying an 08. I'm trying to get in touch with SoG, but they all are "busy" right now. Anyone have any suggestions as to a course of action here?

edit. i'm stock except for a perrin CATBACK exhaust

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

ouch, do the new generation imprezas have that many problems? i've heard of quite a few

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the car has a warranty. you can call ANY SUBARU dealer to have the car looked at under said warranty. Just because you may have purchased the car at SoG, doesn't mean you have to have it serviced there. If they are giving you the run around, then call Troncalli in Cumming. See if they can offer any assistance.

Sorry you are having the issues with the car.

4. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

or subaru of kennesaw... good point though^^^

5. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'd take the cat back off then take (or tow) it to subaru of Kennesaw! ASAP.

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Take the Catback off and call Subaru Roadside and have it towed to a Subaru Dealership

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

yes have it towed to Subaru of kennesaw and have the king look at it.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

for biggis sake a mod should delete this thread. There is no way a cat back caused his issue but they willl try to blame it on it.

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that's why I never said anything about taking the catback off...that's a crock of shit and everyone on this board should know that

10. FACE

FACE Active Member

Did you check Mysubaru . com to make sure yours had the reflash and any recalls?

11. FACE

FACE Active Member

...Im really sad hearing this for you :(

12. amonsta

amonsta Member

Agreed! Take it 2 any dealer! Sog will take care of u. U just have 2 push them a bit! Talk 2 herb hoffman. The gm and if that doesn't do it go 2 the factory zone rep! Demand satisfaction!

13. Biggis

Biggis Member

Update: 2-1-09

I drove the car to Subaru of Kennesaw yesterday afternoon (a 2 hour drive for me, yaay).

On the trip there I drove the car like an egg was under the pedals. Upon arriving a subaru tech put the ecu data reader in, scanned and told me everything was fine.:unamused:

I then tried to explain "really? everything is fine? my car which drives like a dog when its not rocket hot, is down on power and blows a spy hunter fog of oil when I start it in the morning is fine?"

But that didn't work.

So I was then told to drive it back to Cleveland and "They will start a case log with the local Rep".

On the drive home last night, it was fine, but a couple of interesting things happened while driving it to dinner and back with a couple of friends. I was asked "are you making your car buck like that?" and "mac...you know you have a large puff of smoke when you start it right?"

:unamused:

I thoroughly regret ever buying the STi.

14. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

you may need to leave it with them so they can drive it and replicate the problem.

15. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

when was your car manufactured??? Mine was made in April 08. Ringland problems were supposed to be fixed after March/April production. I'm also very concerned about this possible problem... damn... Update with more info to other GR owners when you find out (or PM)

16. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^
    Yes please do!

17. WJM

WJM Banned

Negative. As long as there are Closed loop delays (as mandated by LEV2 emissions requirements) it will always crack the pistons.

This is a problem that SOA cannot do anything about due to emissions requirements. However, as long as the car is stock and maintenance records are kept, they will pay for the repair of the cracked piston(s) and then it WILL happen again.

I'm willing to bet every single 08~09 STi will break a piston in its lifetime BEFORE the powertrain warranty expires.

18. FACE

FACE Active Member

Nice to know... :unamused:

19. WJM

WJM Banned

The sooner you have SS or Doug at Top Speed tune your car, the better off you'll be.

Simply removing the CL/OL delays will fix the problem.

20. FACE

FACE Active Member

I am completely stock and the only "drivetrain" mod I was planning was a cat-back.

Not to mention I got the wrap-around 100K gold...

21. WJM

WJM Banned

As long as you get the SPT catback and installed at the dealer you are safe for 100k/10 years (or is it 12? I cant remember...).

However, ASAP when the warranty is up, I'd get rid of it.

I take it you got the top of the line SAS Gold plan?

22. FACE

FACE Active Member

Does this have to do with the smog unit?

I "heard" that the problem was when you hit the rev limiter you would run too Lean...so to retune with "Stock" parts would fix this problem?

Yes top war. plan...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  23. WJM

WJM Banned

The rev limiter is the same on all SUBARUs. It cuts fuel delivery when at the specified RPM. When the RPM drop, the fuel delivery resumes. Its nothing fancy.

What the recall reflash and later ECU programming did was close the throttle body near and at the revlimiter which reduces engine load the chances of cracking the piston.

However, that does nothing for normal driving. Driving the vehicle normally will break the piston. ANY visit into boost is dangerous on the vehicle, as it will run 14.7:1 AFR for a long time. Usually until 4000~5000 at WOT will it then go into open loop and run super rich.

The air pump is not the problem. It only turns on at cold start and even then only very briefly.

You'll notice that WRX's do not suffer the same problem when stock (at least, 06, 07 and 08. I dont know about 09 yet) as they already conform to LEV2 standards as delivered in 2006. LEV2 started for all 2007MY SUBARUs (i dont know about all others).

24. FACE

FACE Active Member

So correct me if I am wrong but in Lamens terms

It runa at a leaner AF ratio with every trip into boost thus running hotter resulting in premature wear on the pistons = FAIL

25. WJM

WJM Banned

Its not so much temp and wear, its the fact that the timing and fuel maps call for x and x at x amount of air, but since the closed loop delay says NO!!!!!!!!!!! run 14.7:1!!!!!!! then there's too much timing for how much air is in there vs the amount of fuel, so you get DETONATION which is like hitting the piston with a hammer. Then the piston breaks.

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

either way, epic fail on the factory tuners' part

27. WJM

WJM Banned

yup.

28. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

ive seen the map and its like pouring ice water on red hot metal in various points on the fuel map on high loads area

29. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

This really sucks. I can't believe that the STI of all cars in the Subaru stable has this problem. I may understand the outback or something but the "Thou shalt always seek the redline" car? Seriously??

Sorry to hear this Biggis. :unamused:

30. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

That is some lame shit. Either void the warranty and save your pistons (SS Tune), or end up in the shop once a year for a complete tear down. Although you could always reflash for warranty work it is still completely unacceptable!

31. Biggis

Biggis Member

I'm completely just down in the dumps about this whole thing. I'll give SoK a call tomorrow and see if we can work something out. I REALLY should have bitched and moaned until they did a compression test. hindsight is 20/20.

32. FACE

FACE Active Member

I'm really sorry bro I feel you. I have tried to log onto my . Subaru. . Com but have to wait for my vin to be verified before I can check on recalls for mine... I would sure hope that mine would have been checked before I took delivery because if not I will be very upset with SOK ...still waiting to do all my reviews bcause things can still come up and I want to give the clearest picture I can ;)

33. WJM

WJM Banned

The LGT, OBXT experience this too. FXT and Baja and 06+ WRX less so for some reason. I've seen a many of LGT/OBXT with broken pistons that were covered no problem due to it being stock, driven by old people and they had all work done at the dealer.

This mainstream advertising is BULLSHIT especially when SUBARU does not stand behind their product when it breaks under the advertised driving conditions.

This was NOT an issue at all with the 05~06 STi.

I am 100% positive that if they had spent an extra $1,000,000 on R&D for emissions/reliability tuning they would not be paying, best case ~$1500 per car repair to worst case $7000 per car for warranty repairs.

Same goes to the headgaskets on all the SOHC 2.5 NA cars. An extra $10 per car would save them from paying for a headgasket job (~$1000 per car) under warranty on 1 out of 10 sold.

I wont even go there on the wheel bearings....

34. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

.......never buying another subaru.

35. WJM

WJM Banned

jut dont get an 08~09 STi and you'll be fine.

Again, i've said this from the beginning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Biggis

Biggis Member

Thanks. Oh so helpful.

37. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Funny thing is a lot of the ones I have logged have this issue...not just 08+ or the 32 bit. I watched on stock tuning with the wrx when in 5th on the highway it would get up to 7-8 psi of boost and still in CL and trying to run 14.7. Deborah's LGT does the same thing. It's kind of crazy. Thankfully I can take care of it with a quick easy reflash :)

Oh yeah...and btw seen some OTS tunes that retained this as well....just not good in my opinion. Easier as you don't have to have half the map tuned because it is always in closed loop, but bad on blowing engines!

38. WJM

WJM Banned

^I did say others have same issue. All SUBARUs have CL/OL delays. 07+ STi is the WORST.

Others are less.

04~06 STi is the least out of all of them.

39. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I know one thing warranty or not, I would be hauling my ass to a tuner ASAP. I don't knowwhat is worse: haggling over warranty work, or waiting the however many weeks for a rebuild if they cover it, either way if a couple of hours with SS would help avoid the ultra-heaping of BS. I would be there!
    Oh and there is always trading it in for an Evo 9 or 10..........
    I will definitely buy a Suby as a daily driver most of their models are great reliable DD's, but performance wise bang for the buck reliability not so much anymore....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  40. WJM

WJM Banned

There is no 'would help', it FIXES the problem.

41. longfury

longfury Active Member

42. WJM

WJM Banned

I'm familiar with it.

It does nothing to fix the REAL problem with the tune.

43. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

+1 for WJM... factory reflashes do NOT fix the ECU problems. Pro-Tune FIXES the ECU problems.

If you get your car tuned right after you buy it and still blow the motor, it will most likely be due to user error.

Of course, I'm perplexed that 2 years after I bought an 07 STi... NOW everyone is flipping the fuck out over subaru's inept ECU management?

44. longfury

longfury Active Member

I knew you were. I just wanted it to be posted in here as well.

When I have time and money(mainly money), I will go to SS and get a custom tune for my otherwise stock car(aka Stage 1). I will do it not out of concern, but wanting just a little extra power.

45. WJM

WJM Banned

Took a bit for people to really figure out the issue...once I looked at the maps I knew the problem. With some other input from respectable tuners (you know who you are) and a few ideas on my part, I have a reflash for it that keeps it 'somewhat legally' stock and well within warranty.

46. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Oh I know, just throwing in my experience with them and clarifying that this can and does happen on 02-05 wrx and Sti as well as other turbo Subarus. CL/OL delay is just ugly on these cars stock!

47. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Wow, that is really unfortunate. Good luck getting your car to run correctly.

48. FACE

FACE Active Member

and how far must I go to get this...

I called SOK and was told that I needed the reflash...when i got there and the car was hooked up...it had already been flashed but not documented by another dealership

49. longfury

longfury Active Member

Will(WJM) is in Jacksonville at Subaru of Jacksonville.

Unless he moved...again.

50. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

WJM mentioned Doug and SS earlier in this post so they may have what you need, just assuming anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.