blown shocks=upgrade!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by awdlaunch132, Feb 17, 2009.

1. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

So my has gotten bouncier over the past few months and i am tired of the never ending squeeking especially at low speeds. right now i have stock shocks and sti pink springs...i was thinking of upgrading to some koni yellows but can't find any reviews with a similar setup to mine. so question is how are the yellows compared to the stock STI shocks... . i would really rather not spend the money of full blown coilovers (college + fiance = POOR)
    setup right now is...
    hotchkis swaybars front and rear and sti pinks on an 2004 STI w/ 70k miles

also re070's stock size

2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Word up

3. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Myself and coolrex just switched to the tokico dspecs recently and for a mid $500 strut it seems we've both been pleasantly suprised

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Sell me your pink springs? :)

I think you'll be very happy with either the Koni's or the Tokiko's -- have you tried searching iwsti yet?

5. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

i only searched the nasioc forums and the only "reviews" i could find were either from a wrx or someone who did shocks/springs etc at the same time...I was curious to see what someone had to say when just comaparing shocks...

o and sorry you can't have my pinks ;) i am emotionally attached to them.

6. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

I just got koni inserts in my car less than a week ago. All I can say is that they are much better than what I had stock. I haven't messed with the adjusters much yet though.

7. amonsta

amonsta Member

how easy is it 2 install the konis on a sti??? Do u have 2 have a wrx strut housing???

8. SubiNoobi

I forgot he had an STi. I know some people have done it though. Let me check....

The guy in this thread did it. It appears to be just a bit more work than putting koni's in WRX/RS housings. From my experience so far, it's still worth it!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276865&highlight=koni+sti+strut+install

You could always keep an eye out for used WRX/RS/2.5i strut housings, especially the wagon ones - those will allow you to run some very nice camber!

9. amonsta

amonsta Member

Great link! Seems like a lot a dam work though! Lol maybe we should just get some bc's and call it a day! Lol

10. awdlaunch132

awdlaunch132 Member

I know right i do this kind of thing all the time...tell myself i am on a budget and then go crazy. hell I went to the dealership looking to by wrx and ended up driving off in an STI! also my 25 inch tv somehow morphed into a 39 inch...i am thinking i just live the squeeking for a few more months then get some coilovers...(I think i can squeeze that on the wedding registry :) )

11. SubiNoobi

I would still look into the tokico d-specs if I were you. I didn't go with those because of wagon=related issues, but I have heard MANY good reviews about them.

Unless you are driving (racing) and you NEED to get your car corner-balanced, or you NEED to be able to change springs rates a lot and need separate high-low speed damping, then you don't really need coilovers either. Just look at cool-rex above, he switched FROM coilovers TO tociko (stock type) struts and he find them better than his previous setup.

In short, coilovers aren't always better.

12. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

There's no issue with the dspecs for wagons provided u have the $25 spacers for the rears

13. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Buy some ohlins and call it a day. I had them on my 05 Sti and I loved them. However most people think I'm shock snob now :)

14. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

I have some racecomp yellow springs if you want to sell your pinks and upgrade. :)

15. SubiNoobi

I'm quite sure the Ohlins are better than koni's, but then you miss out on all the metal cutting fun!