Body Shop Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Oct 12, 2014.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

Body Shop Recommendations?

Hey all

I need a body shop that does superb work, and is willing to work with me being that I have aftermarket parts (and is understanding of aftermarket parts). Mainly my retrofit, rota, KW coilover, sway, and kartboy endlink...I think that may be all thats affected

Also, would an impact like this affect the trans? The car won't even start and simply wiggling the gear lever left/right makes an audible grinding//rubbing noise from outside the car, my gf was like wtf is that noise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Wagenwerks is a good place but if you looking for your car back any time soon I would advise against him.

3. nygiant

nygiant Member

how long we talkin? Over a month?

4. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Probably more than that ESP if you aren't some high roller.

5. nygiant

nygiant Member

well hell...any other suggestions?

6. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I've used the Troncalli dealership body shop 2 times for my wife's outback.

If you think there may be transmission troubles in there it is a good idea to give it to a shop that has worked on Subarus before.

If the car was in gear and\or the drive shaft on that wheel got shoved inward when it got hit there very well might be something damaged.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

you should give your wife some driving lessons..

8. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Cherokee Collision is a spot to look into. We've had three vehicles sent for the past 10 years. They work with aftermarket parts too as far as bolt on parts. As for suspension just call and ask them. Their service writers may not be able to answer all your questions, but the actual body workers in the back are really good

9. nygiant

nygiant Member

Are they knowledgeable enough to work with a potential Subaru transmission issue as well? If so, I might just go with this spot. Bonus that its like 10 mins from where my gf lives.

Troncalli that duke suggested looks like a good choice too, but its just way too far from from me. Much appreciated tho! It makes me want to consider another Subaru dealer bodyshop...maybe Classic in Sandy Springs?

10. KGraska

KGraska Member

Call VP Automotive on HWY 41. 770-429-0090

They've painted my car numerous times and they have lots of experience with vehicles with aftermarket parts. Quality is top notch, they do a lot of work modifying high end vehicles for professional athletes.

11. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

As far as Cherokee Collision, I had my STI there, my brother took his S2000 there, and my cousin had his Tacoma there as well. We were all pleased with the work. But others may have had different experiences

12. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Maple street collision in decatur +1 (404) 378-9466

13. nygiant

nygiant Member

Thank you all.

I ended up calling Cherokee collision yesterday at about 4:15. Chatted with them for 20 minutes or so asking questions and such about their process. By 5:55 they had someone at my house to pick up the car. Very pleased so far.

14. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

A&A in conyers. I vouch for his work. Mark Rahim is his name. Me and him used to be technicians together in Conyers Honda before we set to open our own shops. But don't expect to have your car done in a few days. He is extremely busy due to quality of work. And he doesn't use cheap part/paint. Only quality with him so you pay for what you get. The yellow conquest on the site painted porsche yellow is his and he just painted a friends gdb in a dark cherry sparkle metallic while installing wheels, wing, and bodykit on it. He can provide pics of all his custom work. Tell him Pedro referred you.

http://aandaatlanta.com/
    678-210-2216

15. nygiant

nygiant Member

16. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

So what happened man? Sorry to see your subie looking like that.

17. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

The mechanics are trying to milk as much money as the can so they get paid. If you talk to them theyll also try to get you money back that wasnt spent on the job wink wink.

The appraiser will give a rough value on what it would cost which is why its so low and the insurance company doesnt want to lose money.

You will only get so much before your vehicle is considered totaled due to price of damage and the vehicles black book value. You get two options here. 1 will be fix the car to the highest amount before its totaled out. This price is sometimes negotiable because remeber the insurance company doesnt wanna give money away. Option 2 if you dont need the vehicle let the insurance take it and get your nice check.

Always go to the ER after any accident (I hope you did) no matter how small the fender bender. This will give you a bodily injury check covering the hospital visit (insurance or no insurance) plus some extra cash, generally $1500 more give or take for just saying youre sore (serious injuries spike up price)

18. nygiant

nygiant Member

Well fault could not be determined so my insurance is handling this. I did not go to the hospital nor did the other party. Live and learn.
    My rental coverage is up in 2 weeks and work hasn't started yet because of this back and forth with me caught in the middle.
    Should I pull the car from Cherokee's shop and go somewhere else? If so then they might try to charge me for whatever they've done or haven't done. If I take it to a shop recommended by my insurance Co then I'm sure corners will be cut no doubt.
    Or should I let Cherokee do it a front the difference and try to recoup from the insurance after the fact with possibility of legal action?
    I am trying to minimize the financial impact on my part because not everyone has 3k just to give away at the drop of a hat. I will if I absolutely must, but not preferable.
    Cherokee gave me a form to send my insurance demand reimbursement or requesting an explanation for every single line item on the shop estimate about why it was not required on their estimate.

This is a very stressful situation and I am at wits end?

Forgive my spelling and grammar as I an typing from a cell phone.

19. nygiant

nygiant Member

The accident itself, car was driving in the same direction driving erratically veering back and forth between the 2 lanes, as I'm approaching from behind he starts to veer in to right lane. I was in the left lane the whole time so when I approached I figured he saw me and was getting out of the way. Instead he suddenly made a left turn from 3/4 the way in the right lane. Too late for me to stop in time.

20. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

WTF? And they couldn't figure out who was to blame? That is ridiculous. Was the guy drunk??

21. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

i have progressive so your insurance may be different. if you feel the other insurance is jerking you around, tell your insurance you want to take legal action and they can fight it for you. they will pay all lawyer fees and you get a rental and they will pay it as long as you have it so youre not out of pocket. also lost wages from not working will come into effect. something to think about. you do have a police report as well right? the officers badge number and contact info should be on there. you can contact him and you, him, and the other party can redo the accident report if that cop is not lazy if you feel the report is inaccurate.

also if the other driver does not have insurance, SUE THE STATE OF GEORGIA. You dont take them to court, you fill out a form and they are required to pay for all damages. This is why they make it the law to have auto insurance because they dont wanna pay. Dont ever forget this.

22. nygiant

nygiant Member

Police report stated alcohol was in the drivers system but not legally drunk.
    it was 2 dudes, chick and a baby. The other dude in the car was completely visually intoxicated. Police report also stated that officer suspected drug usage.
    Their story said that I tried to pass them in the oncoming lane (2 lanes going one direction and 1 lane coming the opposing direction)
    I wasn't trying to pass them in the oncoming lane as they suddenly made a left..that's really stupid. I slammed the brakes so hard and skidded tires that my car veered in that direction. Kinda glad or I else I would have t-boned them.

23. Matt

DISCLAIMER: I'm not in the insurance business, but have dealt with a couple different insurance companies in my lifetime.

from what it looks like, AFI is only allowing for non OEM parts. Keystone Automotive is an aftermarket parts company. They don't even have a website, so I can only assume the quality of their parts is crap.

This is why I don't bother with second rate insurance companies (AFI, Geico, etc.) They cut costs by pawning off non OEM parts and then cut you a check for "diminished value"

Guess what? The value is already diminished regardless of the parts they put on. Personally, I'd rather have all brand new OEM parts with no diminished value check than have poorly fitting parts on my car that won't hold their value 2 minutes after they're installed on your car.

There are a few things on the CCC invoice that probably don't NEED to be replaced, but I haven't seen the car to really guess on that one.

AFI also, from what I can tell, is only authorizing one tire, to be replaced on the one wheel they're replacing. That's a no no. All 4 have to be replaced.

24. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

^^ That right there.

25. nygiant

nygiant Member

I talked the parts thing out with them thoroughly. The parts difference only accounts for a few hundred bucks. The big thing is the undercutting on labor. About 2700.

26. nygiant

nygiant Member

And trust me, my lesson is thoroughly learned with these types of insurance companies. Switching to a first rate company as soon as I can.

Additionally, I was figuring I could just have the replacement tire shaved down?

27. Matt

that's definitely an option. Only place I trust to do that properly is gran turismo east.

28. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I've had GTE shave tired for me before, quick cheap and painless.

29. nygiant

nygiant Member

Anyone have any suggestions other than wheeldude on where I can get a single rota dpt 17x9 in flat black?
    The body shop guy just told me that wheeldude told them 8-10 weeks for that wheel, which is not doable in this scenario since its my insurance that's paying for my damages and rental, and me out of pocket for a good chunk.

If I wasnt covering so much out of pocket, I'd just get a whole new set of wheels. But thats out of the question now.

30. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

2013 frs/brz wheels for $300 craiglist

31. nygiant

nygiant Member

Thank you for the suggestion. By the grace of God I came across a good deal for a full set of matte gun metal rota grids on ebay for 350 and snatched them up.

Additionally, I have lawyer'd up

32. nygiant

nygiant Member

So I ordered tires to be delivered directly to All Pro.
    They were supposed to be delivered on Friday, then the tracking was updated to Monday. Monday came and went, and now its up in the air. I talked to a UPS customer service rep and somehow UPS magically lost 2 50lb bundles of tires. WTF
    This is just a continual fuckin disaster

33. nygiant

nygiant Member

quick question for anyone on...
    This may be a stupid question but are front coilover assemblies typically the same part number and interchangeable from left/right sides? Or are they specific to left/right? Or can you have them installed on the wrong sides without issue?
    Reason I ask is because I got this email from the repair shop guy:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  34. Matt

they should be on the correct side. The tophat can be swapped for maximum castor. but the strut itself should be on the proper side.

35. nygiant

nygiant Member

So I finally got my car back yesterday, smdh almost three months. While they did a good job on the body work, there are a couple mechanical issues that I'm concerned about.

-One is that I now have an exhaust leak, get terrible MPG, and threw a code p2096. I went through a half tank of gas just last night...terrible mileage.
    -The shifter still has a rubbery grinding sound when moving around on the side of 1st and 2nd.
    -The weather strip on the passenger door at the bottom was done like shit so I will have to redo myself.
    -And the ring around the ignition no longer lights up. No idea what they could have touched to mess that up.
    -They did not adjust the height of the replacement coilover to match the other side.

They have had the car so long, I do NOT want to bring it back to them. I'd trust them for body work, but not for mechanical. I will have all pro double check all of their work.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  36. nygiant

nygiant Member

Additionally, when all is said and done, I cannot really tell if they are working for me and trying to help me, or just trying to get as much money as they possible could into their pockets. I still have the lawyer on standby to write the demand letter to the insurance company for the difference they shorted the repair, and then the possibly a lawsuit if it goes that far.

I also noticed a new google review that just popped for the shop which describes my situation exactly. I guess it's just how they operate...?

and then the response from the shop (the guy I've been dealing with as well)

37. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Sorry to hear all this. I, as well as ppl I know have had Cherokee collision do work on different vehicles. We were all satisfied with the body work, and none of us had mechanical issues. RJ isn't very knowledgeable about vehicle repairs IMO. But when I was there I actually talked directly with the guys in the back who do the actual work (b/c I requested to). I hope everything works out man.

38. nygiant

nygiant Member

Thanks man.

I mean I can honestly say I am satisfied with the body repairs, the communication from the shop and RJ and the overall quality of the work. The paint is practically flawless and I love how they took care of the chips I had all over my hood. They were cool about letting me do the work on my own to redo the retrofit, and even called me up to ask me about stuff before they proceeded. What took so long with the repair is that they had to special order a single replacement KW coilover directly from Germany, and that took forever.

I just guess it doesn't help that my insurance company is turning out to be shitty, and the fact that I got into the accident within a week of switching to them.

39. nygiant

nygiant Member

double post

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015