Bomb right by my dorm room

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Suby1128, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

So I awoke today at 10 am to the fire alarm, walked outside and the middle of the quad by my dorm was taped off and fire engines/police cars were all over the place. Turns out a custodian picked up a trashbag and it blew up, the bomb squad arrived and blew up two more explosives (water bottles filled with chemicals).

And to think, I was gonna get up at ten and do my homework and study for my quiz. :shrug:

http://11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=70306

Craig

2. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

wow that's crazy.....glad no one got really injured....why would "Terrorists" bother to even do that?...j/w..why they called it a "terrorist act"...i guess any act to harm innocent people for a random reason is terroristic? :dunno

3. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i think the proper word might be "prankster". but don't tell the journalists that, it would ruin their buzz(word) parade. and we wouldn't want them to lose any self importance now would we ;)

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

yeah I just heard about this at Tech.

I had some friends that used to make "grinderz" which were little bombs that they put in Powerade bottles (bleach, aluminum shreds, something else ?. . .). Plenty dangerous, but adolescent stupidity at its best. I didnt realize that there were still people out here who havent gotten their fire/fireworks/explosives phase out of their system yet (still surprised I've got all of my fingers . . .).

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

dumb ass kids... i'd agree with monk with saying this sounds like a stupid prank

6. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

hell if these kids wanna play with bombs...i'm sure they could go to iraq and relieve some army guys. they'd be happy to go home. idiots.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I saw that today, street was closed off, all sorts of crazyness. I hadnt heard there were 3 bombs though. Its funny, a few weeks ago I went to this meeting with the other fraternity presidents and we sat through this presentation on building up campus awareness and security. We're "fortunate" enough to have one of the guys from the dept. of homeland security who created the original color code system on Tech's staff. So, tech has its own color elevation now. We're considered a "soft-target" primarily for the tremendous amount of government research that is done here as well as the insane amount of chem labs, etc.

I still think its silly, but tech has a Dept. of Homeland Security. At anyate, they are making every building put together emergency response plans including the greek system so that when the regents board brings this up in 1-3 years, Tech can say they've already done it and "look good". I really dont think they care about the integrity of the saftey of the campus, rather appearing "good" on paper when the time comes.

Just some FYI,

8. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

wow glad your alright man

9. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I am glad that they caught the kid who did it... I am glad that you all are OK also...

Mark