boost level help???

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by switchdrummer, Jan 6, 2005.

1. switchdrummer

switchdrummer New Member

I just installed a Turbo XS manual boost controler to my 02 WRX. I dialed in the boost level to about 16 lbs (1.03 on my factory gauge) at WOT in third gear. Here is my problem......
    In 4th gear my level spikes up to at most 18 lbs (1.25 or a little more on my gauge). I thought max boost came in third gear. I know the Turbo XS units are a little spike prone. Should I not worry about it until the computer "learns" my new boost levels or should I crank it down a little. Also when I go WOT in third the boost goes to my preset level and then dips slightly. I this normal? Thanks...
    BTW....my mods are an Tanabe axle back and a K&N pannel filter....thats it for now. :D

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Higher gears will give you higher boost because of engine load.

I guess you could turn it down if you dont want to worry about the spiking.
    As far as the boost tapering, it seems to be the norm on WRXs to have the boost taper before redline; it's better on the internals that way too.

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I cant remember which, but I believe its something like 100-300 miles for your ECU to relearn new inputs. There is a trick to reset your ECU so that it starts again and learns quicker but I dont recall how...and it probably isnt the best idea anyway.

In terms of your boost spiking, it seems natural and should level out as the ECU does.

Good luck, if you have any problems post up or gimme a call.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

5. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

What exhaust modifications do you have so far? Boost sounds normal most manuals will spike a small bit.

Jason

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

not to hijack this thread but....I have a similar question.
    I just installed an uppipe/TBE and am running stage 2 93octane on my accessport(which is fast as shit by the way...loving it).
    I was watching boost levels in 3rd-5th and am hitting from .12 to .13 MPa's in those gears. I used a conversion chart online and if I did it right, that converts to 17/18 psi...
    That seems way high to me...My understanding is that using the accessport is supposed to kick up the boost to around 16.
    Loving the sack kicking accelleration, just hoping I'm not hurting the car by overboosting...hoping my math is wrong... any thoughts?

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

is it spiking or holding 17-18?

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

ehh...not really sure...it's hard to watch the gauge at WOT. I'd say spiking but I don't know. When It hit's that high its usually as I'm about to shift. I'll investigate more today... is .13 MPa's really 18psi?

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

from the available calculators .13MPa calculates to about 18.85 psi which seems to be a little high... u must remember that a lot of gauges are not accurate but then again if mine were almost hitting 19psi, i'd be concerned too... what gauges are u using?

also u said that it hits high when ur about to shift... what rpm do u shift at? from what i know, the stock turbo drops boost at high rpm

my advise to u would be to get in touch with porter asap... if u don't have a boost controller installed, my guess is that ur gauges are not accurate but its better to be safe than sorry... he's definitely one of the people who knows the most about our cars