Borked phpmyadmin install?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I am in the process of wrapping up the last few things on our new server setup but I have run into an issue that I cannot seem to solve. I have triple checked the configuration files but for some reason phpmyadmin continues to generate this error, "Error establishing a database connection" via http connection. This of course, should be an indication that credentials are incorrect. However, I am able to access the database with the phpmyadmin user via CLI mysql. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both mysql and phpmyadmin.

The odd thing is that if you try and wget the localhost/phpymadmin in the console, it pops a 404 error.

Code:
    user@machine:/# wget localhost/phpmyadmin 
    --2010-07-17 20:34:41--  http://localhost/phpmyadmin 
    Resolving localhost... 127.0.0.1 
    Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:80... connected. 
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found 
    2010-07-17 20:34:41 ERROR 404: Not Found. 
    I am at a loss and am half-way tempted to wipe the drive and do a fresh OS install and work through it all again.

Thoughts?

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Sounds like a port configuration issue to me

3. Alex

Good idea, Ill go over and look again. I do not recall moving mysql from the standard port (3306).

Edit -- Just checked my.cnf in the /etc/mysql dir and it shows the correct, default, port configuration.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  4. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

just to check, apache(2) is running correct?

when I installed phpmyadmin on my box I had to create a symlink from the /var/www folder to /etc/phpmyadmin where it is installed.

If this is in place, you can also check that the apache2 settings are correct. Sometimes they hide phpmyadmin in a virtual host file.

5. Alex

Also a good idea with the symlink, but it did not seem to do anything. MrCoffee is suggesting I had to have missed a package somewhere. I am about to just wipe and run another giant apt-get install, lol.

6. Alex

Just wiped and re-installed...and it works. So, yeah. Problem solved I suppose :)

7. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

haha cools. Beats digging through the conf.d files for apache2

8. Alex

Fuck yes it does. Back to the firewall!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010