Bought my first and hopefully only rifle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRboXer, Nov 10, 2011.

1. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Have been shopping my do it all rifle. Finally decided on a .308 semi auto, no its not a m1 or ar platform(even though those were some top contendors). This rifle isnt really meant to be a do it all, but the way ill have it set up i think itll do just fine. Hope to get it saturday or monday.

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

vague details are vague.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doh wrong thread.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

So....HK or FAL?

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Why? A rifle seems more pointless than a handgun.

6. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Pointless as in wearing a watch?

Pointless as in wearing jewlery?

Pointless as in driving out of your way to run a moutain road in your car?

The only thing thats pointless is your lack of understanding.

That and im not fast enough to catch a deer yet on foot...

7. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Ah for hunting, for some reason I was thinking you were getting one for home defense like everyone else on here.

Eat what you kill. Mmm deer chili.

8. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Reasons 1&2 hunting and fun range time.

Reason 3, justttt in case type thing.

Guns dont depreciate like most things, and if you buy quality, you only have to buy it once and your done for the rest of your life. Thats cheap for an item that most sane people would rather have it, and not need it then need it, and not have it.

I hope to never "need" any of my guns, ever. But i did buy and spec all of them to be as much fun as they can be a "tool" if ever the time of need arises.

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

handguns are just there so you can get to your real gun.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yup. Keep running....you won't outrun the .50 cal.

11. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

So went to pick up my FNAR, they had a crate of great condition Mosin's up there for $100 full numbers matching and the full kit. Just couldnt pass it up after reading about them and then seeing how cool and neat they are in person.

Anyways, walked in to get my one and only rifle and walked out with 2. Im :furious: but in love at the same time, both kick so much ass.

I spec'd a 20" FNAR and pulled the trigger bc they were on close out for $1250. Spec is below, very utilitarian and "get the job done", its current set up will be able to handle most of scenario's.
    -Nikon Monarch 2-8x
    -Warne tactical medium steel rings
    -Grip pod GPS02(still waiting on) military model(steel legs)

[​IMG]

Took it to the range, got it scoped in and really enjoy the FNAR experience. Never tried any sort of precision rifle shooting, but broke out my splash target and put it at 100 yards to see what this "1moa or lower" thing was all about. Loaded up 3 Federal HPBT(hollow point boat tails) and shot this group. [​IMG]
    If im not mistaken, thats not to freakin shabby for a first time rifle owner, on the first trip to the range? FNAR FTW. What is that .75 MOA?

Tried out 4 different ammo's, 2 cheap, 2 "expensive". The cheap consisted of PMC Bronze, no issues, and Tula steel case .308, 50% failed to fire. Is that just reallllyyyyy junk ammo, or was their not enough strike?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 2 other Federal rounds i tried, like the PMC fired with 0 issues.

As most of you know, this is my first rifle, and im building this to be my one and only "tool" rifle. The next pics you will see of it is with the grip pod installed, barrel cut to 16" and threaded for a muzzle break, and maybe a mini red dot installed on top of the Nikon to round her off and be done.

Last, my Mossin. Surprisingly, I LOVE the freakin mosin, I wish $100 was always this freakin cool. Century old technology, built in 1937, shoots cheap bulk ammo, and is a decent rifle to boot. To cool.:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super super stoked rifle owner.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  12. b reel

b reel Active Member

could be the shitty primers in the shitty ammo, don't buy shitty ammo. The Moshin-Nagant on the other hand is a shitty bolt action that will never fail and shoots damn good. Zeh Germans feared them in Stalingrad while on winter holiday a few years back.

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

where did you pick up the nosin? they're cheap online, until you factor in the FFL transfer. I've been looking at picking one up

14. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Bullseye, they had a full crate on monday.

15. b reel

b reel Active Member

How much are they going for now? Riggs use to have them for $15 used/$25 new back in the 80's.

16. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Well first off they are all used/re-arsenaled. Is there such thing as a "new" rifle built in the 30's?

But yeah, Bullseye has them for a benji with all accessories. Mine was all numbers matching with a good condition bore and perfect condition stock.

17. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Nice pick ups! I would avoid the super-cheap ammo, unless you are shooting out of a Russian/Chinese gun then it really won't matter.