brake advice

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by kayakrsteve, Mar 3, 2007.

1. kayakrsteve

kayakrsteve New Member

Guys , new to all of this but I'm sure you can be of some help . I have a 02 wagon and am in need of new brakes , just good solid brakes for the street . Right now I am getting some vibiration when I brake firmly . Not interested in dropping a lot of dough right now , not working .
    Also looking for a good/fair (price) shop to have this work done (atlanta/chamblee area) .
    Thanks .
    kayakrsteve

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i had the carbotech bobcat brake pads on my 03 WRX... was really happy with them but they costed between $250 and $300 for the set if i remember (it was a while back)

the vibration you feel is probably because of warped rotors... have you had them cut before? if not u could have that done... if u are still under warranty, u could have it done at the dealership too... if they are beyond being cut, replacement rotors might be required... i'd recommend slotted

3. flip

flip Member

I'll second the carbotech brakes. I've got the panthers and theyre a little more agressive (a little warm up needed and some squealing) but they work fine on the street...

And yeah, getting your brake rotors cut might be a good idea and if you are still under waranty, milk it while you can. :)

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Vibration in the steering wheel can also be due to the pads being over heated. If its in the pedal, its your ABS probably working over time. In general, just get new pads. If this is just street, go with something cheap. If you care about the performance aspect the Carbo's are good and so are the Hawks.

5. longfury

longfury Active Member

Carbotech Bobcats and Hawk HPS. Carbotechs will run a little over $200 a set for front and rear and the Hawks can be had for under $150 a set if you search around.

6. Trey

Trey Active Member

Hawk HPS are perfect street pads and get the rotors turned to get rid of the vibration (warped rotors).

7. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

After replacing my rotors and brake pads (from my solo mountain cruise incident) I get vibration too, but I know it's the ABS (since it's happening in the pedals). I'll apply brakes no problems, but it'll vibrate starting at 5 or less MPH until I stop. Any reasoning for this? I did take out the ABS sensor and screw it back in but that won't change sensitivity would it?

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

You have warped rotors. They get hot and warp, usually after heavy braking (racing, Mtn runs). You will feel it in the pedal.