buying used sportbikes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigb996, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

I am going to be purchasing one within the next 6 months or so. My question is, with all the theft out there, how can you prevent buying a stolen bike? Is there a way to make a fake or copied title? I just dont want to buy a used one from someone and find out its stolen and the guy flew the coupe on me. Just lookin for some good tips. thanks guys=)

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Buy mine. :)

3. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

can't you run a Carfax on bikes too?

4. soobaroo227

soobaroo227 Member

Yeah, you can check on the title to make sure it's clean. Get the vin number off the bike and run a check on it. What kind of bike are you looking at getting?

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

well i was gonna run a carfax for sure but i wasnt sure if there was a way for someone to really scam me, thats what im watching for.

Bikes on my list are:
    everything needs to be 1999 or newer.
    yzf600 or an R6
    cbr600 or cbr600 f4
    gsxr600
    zx-6r

trying to stay as close to 4k as i can and under 10k miles with a clean title.

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I hope you know how to ride already, with what you're looking at. :)

7. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea i do:).....rode my friends gsxr-600 a few times and have riden 4wheelers/dirtbikes my whole life(even though they are very differnt).

8. soobaroo227

soobaroo227 Member

Hey dude, check out georgiasportbike.com and blokesportbike.com (may be blokessportbike.com). They'll have a few bikes for sale, and most of the bikes would have other people to vouch for them.

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

thanks man! how do you like your SV? everyone raves about them but the look to me just looks like it wouldnt be as aggrassive as eveyrone says.

10. soobaroo227

soobaroo227 Member

It's an incredibly fun bike. The powerband is really linear so coming out of turns is great. However, when going on a straight, all those bikes you named that you are looking at will blow by my SV.

11. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Not sure but the best time to get the best deals on bikes would be the winter months my brother got his at a steal around that time.

12. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

yeah off-season is a good time. just look around the whole bike for laydown marks, check the chain to see if it's new, the hoses, clamps etc. pop off the seat panel an have a look down there too, a lot of people don't clean down there, it can tell you how fastidious they were. if the tires aren't new, look at how they've been worn. might be a good idea to take a test ride to a bike mech and have him look over it, too. pretty much the same as a car, but more attention to scratches since they usually mean laydowns. most honest bikers will tell you the exact number of laydowns they've done and why.

13. crash#2

crash#2 Member

what kind of used sptbike, give me an idea of brand model and year, my mom owns a honda suzuki dealer in NC, but if they have what you are looking for or the like i can probably help get you a deal.

oh and don't forget to feel under the rear fender to see if the guy was a burn-out hoar.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  14. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

sent ya a pm crash:)