CAI idea will it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by RSConvert, Oct 2, 2010.

1. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Brainstorming!!!
    I have a fender mounted cai. I was thinking of putting the oem air duct intake back on (after modifying it a bit to fit around the aftermarket maf tube) to cover the big opening and possibly force "cooler" air, instead of the current heat going in from the engine bay. Will it make a big difference?

EDIT: Here's a crappy BB pic I took after modifying and installing it

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

theoretically yes

realistically enough to feel a difference, probably not

but worth a shot, sure

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You will probably benefit more from cutting the duct to blow outside air directly onto the MAF itself. If it heat soaks the ECU will adjust.

4. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Using the stock snorkel to direct "hood-height" cool air at the filter is a very good idea.

Siegel

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah as long as the air flow from the snorkel isn't pushing into the filter in the direction of the intake itself! Remember the ram air issue that we never could figure out until WJM looked at the car? :rofl:

6. RSConvert

Thats what it's doing now after having to cut the duct to fit. Makes sense!!!!

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Stock air box intake system on the wrx and pre 08sti is the best system out there up to 360whp.

8. RSConvert

Doug anyway you can put my car back on the dyno to see if there are any added benefits? :rofl:

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

There won't be.....save your time. You are just keeping the intake temps cool.

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

I thought everyone did that?

11. davhul

davhul New Member

took my cai off and put oem box only on. sucks from the finder. never have a problem.

12. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

One the dyno you will see no difference.. what you should do is monitor you air intake temps before and after the mods and see if they change.

13. RSConvert

Ok. Had my AP monitor it for a week (with and w/o the ram air duct) seems to be a ~10 degree difference with it installed. Not sure if it's a significant number but hey it's a little cooler and it was free.

14. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

~10 degrees cooler for something you didn't pay for? I would say that's fairly significant.

15. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I still have stock air box on mine. Had CAI before, but i bought a stock airbox on here. Didn't feel any loss from deleting the CAI. And I don't have to worry about CAI sucking water into my motor again.

16. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

It should be okay if you had the splash guard on, shouldn't?
    My CAI is fine, although my car is at stock height with the splash guard. I've driven through some really heavy rain, but I've never hydrolocked.