Call Me Cheap, But DAMN

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Silver Surfer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

*Call Me Cheap, But DAMN/Sunday May 20th 60K G2G*

Ok guys, I know we're all mature people here and perhaps the title of this posts suggests otherwise for myself, but got-dayum! $799 for 60K service!?:eek4:
    No offense to any of the SoG guys on the site(especially WJM who's graciously answered all my stupid questions), but that's more than like 2 fawkin car payments! I've gotten every oil change,etc. at SoG, but I just don't have the money to do it this time.
    I know you can't measure a man's skill in gold and all that, but those of us on a budget can't afford to pay 800 bucks to anyone, not even when I found out about it B4 I hit 60K. I was told like $450 at most. This sucks big time!

Is there anyway I could just do the easy stuff(plugs, filters, etc) and just have them to do the more questionable stuff like the fuel induction, etc?

Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

I know I have the standard customer problem: wanting caviar for tuna fish prices, but isn't there a happy median here. Perhaps a caviar-flavored tuna? (you get what I mean, right?)

I may answer my own question here, but I am in no way opposed to DIYing as long as I know I do need like a dealer-specified nuematic diff de-fluid-er or something.

Sorry for the rant(just got off the phone).
    But as always guys and gals, thanks for the help:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

List Updated
    Vote for location!
    TIME SUGGESTIONS:
    Sunday May 20th
    LOCALE SUGGESTIONS:
    Calmnothing's Lot?(MARIETTA)
    pEd's Garage?(CUMMING)

Needs Help
    Silver Surfer(60K)
    savsuby
    scooby_snacks
    AXLEJOHNSON
    Nitro
    Kolgoth
    SubiNoobi(30K)
    AWD Tiger(90K)
    socrates42
    1ll-WRX(60K)

Just Wants to Help
    pEd(sorry, you've been drafted, don't try duckin out to Canada neither)
    jkass85(thanks bro)
    Brian(tentative)
    Kolgoth

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. Trey

Trey Active Member

I think the hefty fee is because they recirculate the air in your tires... I could be wrong though.

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Yeah, I guess isolating the air in tire #1 to transfer it to #3 can be pretty labor intensive!:rofl:

But seriously. WJM told me it's like $200 in parts and like $600 in labor cuz there's a lot involved

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

well at 60k you're probably out of warranty (for anything except the paint job lol) so maybe get an acct at STIS and download some tech reference materials and buy ped LOTS of beer.

5. WJM

WJM Banned

Usually when you split up the servicing...you 'save money' but then again, it does end up being more expensive.

Most of it you can do yourself, but some things you will not be able to do.

Also, *IF* you do do it yourself...make sure to use all SUBARU fluids (gear oil, coolant) and SUBARU plugs and filters...etc.

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea the majority of the work you can do yourself..just do that and then leave the rest up to SoG or whatever dealership you go to

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

Shop around. Prices of the 60k service vary. I'm pretty sure I had mine done for somewhere between 500 and 600 (if I remember correctly) by Gerald Jones Subaru in Augusta. Or buy beer for pEd.

Note: I'm not saying you should drive all the way to Augusta (I had mine done there because I'm from the AUG). I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it done for cheaper somewhere around Atlanta.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  8. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I'm all for the beers.

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

What were you thinking we couldn't do? I'm not arguing, I'm just asking.

I still need to get a bottle of that radiator conditioner... dang. I always forget that when I'm there.

10. WJM

WJM Banned

You dont need that. Only the N/A SOHC EJ25 cars need that.

11. WJM

WJM Banned

Well, *MOST* people dont know where to start with spark plugs. Usually if one cannot fathom spark plugs, they just dont need to be working on cars. *shrug*

Just remember that we deal with some really car-illiterate people...on a daily basis...usually more than one per hour.

12. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I agree... I was also thinking you'd say the diff fluid flush and PROPERLY getting ALL of the air out of the radiator system.

13. WJM

WJM Banned

Nah, most ppl can do the diff/trans...but the AIR in coolant system...that must be purged by a qualified SUBARU trained Master technician...;)

14. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

For cereal? I've used it on all my flushes and changes. I guess it cant hurt anything, oh well.

15. WJM

WJM Banned

the HG on the N/A EJ25's are stupid. They leak bad w/out this stuff in it.

The Multi Layer Metal ones in the EJ205, EJ207, EJ257 and the updated EJ25D gasket NEVER LEAKS...even with over 200k miles on it.

16. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Nice! Thanks for the info mang!

17. WJM

WJM Banned

Np.

18. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Well, I went up to SoG and talked it over wit Will and Neal and they straightened everything out for me.
    Thanks guys

Now just to get together all the parts (and people;)) to tackle these projects

19. Brian

Brian Active Member

I've been thinking about a bit of the ol' DIY myself lately. Not to thread jack, but I'd like to hear what's involved/needed in replacing a clutch and flywheel.

Maybe we could have a quarterly oil change g2g? And a yearly trans fluid flush g2g. ;)

20. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

Maybe we could have a 60k mile g2g as I've also got to deal with that service job but can't afford it right now.

21. savsuby

savsuby Member

sorry to ask a stupid question but what all needs to be done a 60k miles. I got my tran/diff fluid changed at 40k miles. I thought that was when I needed to get it done.

22. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Not a stupid question sav.

Here's a link I found in one of 420's old posts: http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp?navid=SCHEDULE_2005

That would be a great idea if we could get everyone together in a time frame that's convienent for all parties.

EDIT: This is my 100th post:fawk:
    Just like 12,000 more to catch up wit the top posters:slap:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  23. scooby_snacks

Well my summer hols are coming up so I've got a blank slate lying ahead of me. Need Work!!!

24. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

So before we even try to set a date, who needs the service and who is willing to help?

DATE: TBA
    Need Help
    Silver Surfer
    savsuby
    scooby_snacks

(I'll go ahead and list pEd on the helpers side as he is physically incapable of passing up working on cars or helping)
    Will Help
    jkass85(thanks bro)
    Brian(tentative)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  25. savsuby

savsuby Member

thanks silver surfer!

26. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

Like others have said just do everything yourself. It's much cheaper and satisfying to do work on your own car. I've just finished doing everything needed for the 60k maintenance (except the coolant flush, which i'm not convinced why it's necessary).

I can help out too if y'all need a hand.

27. scooby_snacks

Aye I was intending to do most of it myself but if people are willing to help then so be it!

28. pEd

So true, yet so sad. :wtc:

I will be more than glad to help out.

29. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

30. WJM

WJM Banned

Just like engine oil, engine coolant has additives that loose their ability to do what they were designed to do over time.

The US Gov. has regulated that the additives in coolant are to not last longer than 12 months. Yes, that does mean that the coolants that list for '5years/100k miles' is complete BS. Thats why all manufactures recommend a coolant flush once a year. The ONLY exception to those rules are perhaps the exotics....but we will not go there.

Once coolant looses the additives, the waterpump will not be able to get proper lubrication....as that seal lubrication additive is no longer present.

Then, the aluminium in the engine, including radiator, will start to corrode...as that additive for anti corrosion has long since lost its ability to anti corrode.

After that you will have heat pockets develop in random places in the engine due to the coolants inability to absorb and dissapate the heat properly...since the heat absorbtion/dissapation additives have long since lost their abilities to do so.

One all that happens, and the surfaces of the rad and engine coolant passages have corroded, you loose 100% of the original heat dissapation capacity of the cooling system. Eventually you will see in explained overheating, warp heads, blow headgaskets and you'll need a new engine.

While yes I am endorsing the SUBARU product, heres why: The SUBARU Coolant has specific additives for use in the all AL engine, the subaru waterpump seal lubrication, and other additives to greatly improve heat transfer. Most other coolants do not and after long term use it has been proven that water pump failure is much higher, radiator blockage due to corrosion is more common, as well as head gasket failure on all engines.

So keep that in mind....once a year with SUBARU coolant keeps your engine running strong for many years to come.

31. my 60k was almost $4000.00. new block and all.

32. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'll try to help, but I can't commit until we have a firm date/time/location.

33. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

It was like $500 for my 30k maintainence. That is why I did it myself over at Peds the day we did your uppipe. 60k can be done yourself also. I believe 90 k, which SOG charges like $1200 requires the Timing Belt, so that one most would probably have to pay for.

Call it the beauty of owning a Turbo Car.

34. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

:eek4: Thank you Will. Wow, i suspected that the fluid would lose its cooling proprieties but i didn't know it could eventually lead to all that, or that it can lose its proprieties that fast.
    So i just have to flush the coolant and pour new subaru coolant in?

35. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

You'll still have the chance to do it yourself....just while someone else is helping you

36. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Updated List

So before we even try to set a date, who needs the service and who is willing to help?
    Any suggestions on where and when?

DATE: TBA
    Need Help
    Silver Surfer
    savsuby
    scooby_snacks
    AXLEJOHNSON
    420(yeah, ur on both lists)

Will Help
    jkass85(thanks bro)
    Brian(tentative)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  37. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I will help. I may try to get a new fuel pump and filter to finish the maintainence, depending on when you plan to do this.

38. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

Yesterday I had my oil changed at Royal, they said the timing belt needs to be changed at 60k, is that correct, I was thinking more around 90-100k. I would like to do as much of the 60k service myself.

39. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

damn!!! i'm floating at 39k right now.....i guess there are a couple things i need to be doing huh?:hsugh:

40. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Timing belts are for the 90K not 60K service. Bout 99% sure
    Right Will?

41. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I need to do mine still, currently @ 55k, So what's the plan? buy a bunch of Subaru parts from SOG then meet up and got to town? This would REALLY help me out since I need new tires and front pads super soon as well...

42. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

that sounds like a great plan.....i'm game:naughty:

43. Kolgoth

Kolgoth Supporting Member

I'm game - I still need to do my Spark Plugs & Air filter and coolant flush for 60k. Already did my oil/tranny/rear diff - so only need a bit of help.

Definitely willing to help out with the rest though depending on time frame. I'll keep checking back - but I'm def game to help and need help :D

As far as time suggestion - is May 6th too far away for everyone? I'm gonna be out of town this weekend I think (tentative) and that gives everyone about 1.5 weeks notice on the G2G... And we'll make sure to bring pED plenty of beer! Haha

44. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Could Will or whoever else knows which parts everyone needs post up a parts list?

From there everyone who needs help will be responsible for ALL their own parts(if they do not have money/time to get said parts nicer guys on the forum can volunteer to grab extras when they go to SoG).

Those who wish to help can post an item or 2 that can be used to bribe them(beer, pizza, etc. not Cobb APs;))

Also, the helpers should suggest a time/place that works for them and then we'll vote from there.

45. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

**List Updated 4/28/07 At 7pm**

Any suggestions on where and when?
    TIME SUGGESTIONS:
    Sunday May 6th?
    Sat or Sun May 19-20th?
    LOCALE SUGGESTIONS:
    Calmnothing's Lot?
    pEd's Garage?

Needs Help
    Silver Surfer(60K)
    savsuby
    scooby_snacks
    AXLEJOHNSON
    Nitro
    Kolgoth
    SubiNoobi(30K)
    AWD Tiger(90K)

Just Wants to Help
    jkass85(thanks bro)
    Brian(tentative)
    Kolgoth
    1ll-WRX

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  46. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

so it looks like i'm gonna have to sell before it hits 60k :D

47. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

You know they say "it's cheaper to keep 'er" ;)

(thinks of $899 60K "turbo car" price tag)

:coolugh: Maybe they didn't own a Subie

:rofl:

48. KtownSubaru

KtownSubaru Member

30K service? nooo

Are the requirements for this listed in the manual? I just moved and my glovebox was cd storage, and i've most likely lost my manual :wtc:

49. pEd

We can do this at my house, though I only have a 2 car garage. With room for about 6 or 8 cars max.

Also I may not ba available on the 6th. Will be out at Road Atlanta that day.

It may be better to split this up, but that's not my suggestion.

50. scooby_snacks

Well anyday after the 9th of May I can try for. I had no idea there were so many of us hitting this mileage at the same time. It will be great to learn from others what to do and then imitate and try for myself.