Photography: Camera nerd talk (RON TYPE HERE :P)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by crazyazn, Jun 28, 2013.

1. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I figure we can clean up the chat box and keep it to our daily rants and things, and since a fair bit of us are into photography, maybe we can have a thread on gear and stuffs..

2. crazyazn

"RonnieBlaze do they have a 1.4L i did not see one on bhp"

The canon 50 1.4 is technically not an L series, however its design in its current retail iteration dates back to mid late 80s or early 90s. Regardless, the lens is pretty sharp and performs very well on a 5dmk3, an alternative is the sigma 50 f1.4 which rsutton brought to my attention, is actually sharper.

3. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

Ok thats what i thought i looked for the L lens. i dont really need the 1.2 i was just looking at the red ring..

i would probably get the 24-70 first since it covers more range

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

anybody have some GE magicubes for a Kodimatic 960?

5. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

24-70 is awesome that you will use a lot. I would actually focus on getting the big three.

17-40mm/f4
    24-70mm/f2.8
    70-200/f4 IS

I don't even own the 70-200 but I need to get one. With those three...you will never need another lens honestly. I use my 50/1.4 for my kid. The 24-70 is rockstar awesome for a general purpose and you can get in really close with it.

I think it is really easy to get caught up as an e-photographer worrying about the next piece of equipment that will make your pictures that much better. The reality is that there are photographers that kick my ass with an iPhone.

6. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

the second generation one right? didnt the first have focus issues?

7. rsutton1223

You are reading too much online. ;)

8. crazyazn

Agreed with robb,

Granted im nikkor, but i finally completed getting the 'trifecta/holy trinity' when i got me a 70-200f2.8 last month.

Also, as of note, 24-70 should probably be first. Then you gotta really think about what you are shooting, and how you like to shoot it. Since I do a lot of wedding/portraiture/fashion work, i spend a lot of time at 85mm or 200mm.

Also I like cars done that way, and hence my 14-24 sorta collects dust and seems to appreciate value these days (yay for canon landscape photogs wanting my that lens)

9. rsutton1223

New rule: For every hour you spend researching equipment...you have to setup and take 30 images and look at 30 examples of work that you aspire to be like. At the end of a month...tell me what you find made your pictures better.

10. crazyazn

get the first one its a better price, works phenomenal on the mk3, the new 24-70 is almost the cost of a 70-200 which i think is outrageous.

don't pixel peep too much or get obsessed with MTF curves, none of it represents real world.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

Ronnie it sounds like you need to get in with a shutterbug group and experience some real world usage and not what you can read up on the webz. You'll gain far more knowledge and tips on how to use what you have now.

As Robb stated in his earlier post, 3-4 lenses is about all an enthusiast needs along with a decent body and at least a good point and shoot if you have a shitty cell like me.

12. crazyazn

yup nothing makes up for practice actually shooting.

hell look up digital rev on youtube, they do a pro photog vs cheap camera thing, and they give big time pros utter shit cameras..... and they still make phenomenal shots that convey their personality and style.

if anything maybe we can start our own photog walk group here and stuffs, i could use a break from taking 'working photos'

13. rsutton1223

Here is an example (and I suck at landscape so keep that in mind). Can you tell me what lens was used or aperture on each of these photos? Did the lens make the shot or the subject and composition? Hint: Not a single one of these required a super fast lens, high ISO or anything else that camera bodies are known for.

[​IMG]
    Inverted by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Salty Beginnings by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    NOPWR by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Descending The Blue Ridge by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Shooting the Bridge by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    The Italians by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

15. rsutton1223

16. rsutton1223

17. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; SCH-I545 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.90 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I think overall what is important for all of us aspiring photographer's is to learn to see the moment and capture that moment in a nice manner. May sound cliche but I honestly do try to have a sense of story to my shots. Prob from my wedding background, but from that i think is why I shoot cars the way I do. TO make use of the enviro beyond 'here is a neat alley and no cops' is a huge challenge for me and I wish I could always pull it off

18. rsutton1223

Agreed completely. That is something I struggle with as well.

And I hope I didn't go overboard with the examples or make it feel like we are ganging up on you in any way. That was not the intent at all. I think it is really easy to get caught up on the equipment side of things because you either...

1. See people that you think take good pictures using that equipment.
    2. It is the aspect that also is fun but easy to control.

The reality is that you can take a crappy shot with the best equipment available today and you can take an awesome shot with the worst. It is more about inspiration and experience than it is about what is in your hand at the time. Practice is going to overrun equipment every time. Every beginning shooter (which I still consider myself as well) needs to focus less on the equipment side and more about how to tell a story and take a good picture. It seems to me that most conversations revolve around nothing that is actually necessary to take a good image. It usually centers around "this body has great ISO capabilities...much better than what I have now". When it should be "how do I make use of the available light I have and compose the image to tell the story".

19. rsutton1223

One last thing then I'll shut up because I am talking too much already. There are two things I try to always remember...

1. Do you want to collect equipment or pictures and experiences?
    2. The best camera on the planet is the one that you have with you and you use.

20. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; SCH-I545 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.90 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Yes. This is why I shoot with potato.

21. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

its all good, Im hard headed and need to get things beat in to my brain..

the only reason i said the the 24-70 had focus issues was i know someone personaly that shoots with it all the time and thats what he told me.

and like Robb you can have the best equipment and take shit pictures i know this first hand when i used a friends D3 with his 50 1.2, 70-200mm and the 11mm fish eye.. since i was not use to nikon cameras most of my shots came out like shit.. but the ones i took with a friends 5dmk2 with the 28-135 3.5-5.6 were great shots.

i would like to start shooting cars and bikes and landscape and mix them all together.

I dont shoot enough i know that, i get discouraged when i try and try to get the shot that i have pictured in my head.

22. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

*Spoiler Alert* I'm going to ask legit questions below.

Ronnie...your focus is a landscape full of cars and bikes?
    What brought you into photography?
    What is your ultimate goal?
    What do you see yourself getting paid to shoot?
    Have you rented any of the equipment you are looking to buy?
    Would you be willing to share some of your photos that you really enjoy?
    Are you always trying to create photos...do you ever just walk around with your camera taking random shots of everything, for practice and fun?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  23. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

the landscape stuff is new I just recently started looking at landscape stuff.

I have always like shooting cars and since i got a bike that got added.

when i goto dragoncon i like to photograph the cosplayers aswell.

24. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I can not stress enough how important it is to get out there and shoot with what you have instead of looking at what you don't have.

I am HORRIBLE about lusting over gear. I find the more I shoot the more I get out of the gear I have.

There are tons of guides out there on how to get great results out of not so great gear. Watch videos then go out and try it.

On an unrelated note, saw this the other day and thought it might be an interesting alternative to pocketwizards.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-62...e=UTF8&qid=1372551280&sr=8-8&keywords=yongnuo

25. RonnieBlaze

RonnieBlaze Member

i watch youtube videos all the time to learn new things and i do go out and try what ever new thing i learned.

i think ill rent the 24-70mm I and see how it works on my body