Car Holsters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Enzo, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

Since this community loves cars, bikes, and guns; I am sure someone has a good option for an in-car holster. I have 3 guns that I rotate through for carrying and I would like to find some form of holster for when I am in the car since it is quite uncomfortable to carry while driving. My biggest concern is the fact that we drive manual cars and I don't want to kick or bump into the handgun when I am shifting gears. I carry one of 3 sidearms, Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 40, or my new one a Chiappa Rhino snubnose. I have a nanovailt for when I can't bring it inside of where I am going. I have been looking at the magnetic type but I am concerned about the strength of the magnets in them. Any opinions would help as I am sure that I am not the only one who has had an issue with in car carrying. Thanks

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have a magnetic one in two of my vehicles. If you can get the placement right, it would be very hard to just knock the weapon off

3. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

Where did you place it?

4. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 for the magnet. ive seen ppl mount it on the side of the tranmission tunnel, or what i tend to like is for under the dash/steering column area

5. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

6. KGraska

KGraska Member

I've got one of these from Amazon and it's perfect. Same one Jeff linked above. Magnet is so strong you wouldn't believe it. Could easily hold a rifle or shotgun. I've used it with anything from my Sig P238 to my HK45 and it works great.

7. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I ordered the fast draw one. Lets see how this goes.

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Sorry I am late but I have the one from the link above.

9. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

This is pretty interesting, I've always had to remove mine and put it in the glove compartment. Does anyone have picture of it mounted under the dash/steering column area?

10. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

+1 for buying it from amazon.

I have to fix my mom's alternator and battery in her sebring this weekend. I installed one under her steering column in the dash. I actually cut a square hole and mounted it from the inside out with 5mm or 8mm carriage bolts so it is "stealth" mounted. She has a 38 snub. Been a few years but she never complained about it never holding up. Ill try to get pics if i can remember.

11. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

Enzo that was perfect timing on this thread. I was looking for a car setup as well. Looks like we'll all have these magnet things in our cars during the next meetup.

12. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

The magnet will be in next week so I will install it and see how it works. I really only need it for when I am driving around, I have a nanovault for under the seat when I need to lock the gun securely. I know the discussion is not completely covered but in many states, if the gun is not in some sort of locked compartment and someone steals it, you could be liable for the damage. That's why I picked up the vault.

13. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

What...? Are you serious?

In GA I believe the law is that your vehicle is an extension of your home. With that in mind, logic would state that so long as you actually locked your car, and someone broke into it to steal it, you'd be fine. It's not a careless act where you left it sitting on the seat with the window down.

That's like saying it's your fault somebody broke into your home and stole your gun because you didn't have a gun safe. Forget that noise.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

gun laws vary by state but don't see how the owner bears any responsibility if stolen or borrowed. Georgia doesn't even require you to report a stolen gun...

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^And thankfully in GA private sale is legal.

16. orndog

orndog Member

Since I've only been here 2+ years I am still in the dark regarding GA gun laws. I had TN down to a "T".
    I have a carry permit (outdated address, is that a problem here?). What are the rules regarding car carry?

17. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

When I first came down to GA I took a class just to brush up on skills and laws and although its not required to keep it in a safe when your going to leave it in your car, it will assist in defending yourself (Legal System) if someone does take it and do something stupid. I am not a lawyer by any means, but I'd rather lock it up securely in some place stronger than the glove-box. We are not in California but you will notice that they have state certified gun storage, and when using that safe, you are covered if someone does take your weapon. If you don't use a CA certified safe, then you become an accessory.

At the end of the day, just be safe. On another note, the magnet came in and I plan on installing it some time this week. It def sticks to both hand guns and I made the mistake of testing it on my fridge, it was a chore to remove it.

18. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

You can carry without a CCW in your Home or Vehicle or place of business if you own the business or if your workplace allows it. The grey area falls on apartments, I had a long discussion with an LEO 2 years back because I was carrying from my apartment to my car, its stupid, but the parking lot is not considered your property and did create an issue. Lucky the manager happened to be out and told the LEO that its cool if I carried anywhere on the property and the LEO left. That was in Roswell, and probably someone who just wanted to be a pain but it happened. W
    With a CCW I recommend following the Georgia Packing website or Georgia carry website as they go through and break them down in laments terms. They actually go through court files and determine what was ruled in the "Grey" areas of the law to better provide for CCW's.