carbon fiber hood

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by yerrow, Aug 25, 2004.

1. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

i think i'm gonna order one. anyone wanna get one with me so we can possibly split the shipping?

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

what are you ordering and from where? I can probally cut you a better deal :)

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i really want one at some point in time... but dont think i can afford one right now

just curious... how much will it cost?

4. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

right around $500 shipped. check into what you can do, what brand because these are the VIS. i just want the oem style so i can put the blue scoop back on

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i think ill pass for now... putting my money towards gauges and up/dp

6. Alex

I'll get some options and prices for you guys by this evening or at latest tomorrow.

7. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

did you ever do this?

8. fastpacketeer

fastpacketeer New Member

Has anyone here installed a cf hood on their ride? I'd like to find one that fits like the stock hood.

9. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

i have seen only the seibon hoog and that one was great. amazingly, VIS cf has gotten very good. ironically i probably won't go with either since i get jobber price on erebuni ( from nopi) and they usually have it in stock so there's no $100+ to pay in shipping

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I like the Kaminari a lot.

I also like the stocker with an Aqua hood scoop for if I ever get a FMIC.

12. fastpacketeer

fastpacketeer New Member

Do you guys think the reverse cowl hood would affect performance?

Kaminari points out that drag will be reduced by eliminating the hood scoop. What about airflow into the intercooler? ...is it reduced? ....does it matter?

13. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

the factory hood scoop slows you down anyways, and is non-working over speeds of 70+ the air goes right over the scoop. Any after market hood would be better, and lighter.

14. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

from what i understand, u need the scoop for a top mount intercooler...

15. Alex

Well it isnt necessarily unless you intend on keeping the life and functionality of your top mount.

16. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I really wanna throw a WRX in a wind tunnel and see how efficient the scoop even is.

I dont think that a reverse scoop would affect the aerodynamics that much. Its something that sounds good on paper when they try to sell the scoop. Yes it will lower it, but not to a degree where any of us will notice. If we all cared about aerodynamics none of us would drive with the windows down, our cars would all be lowered to the ground, and the car would be more streamlined looking (think Corvette or Prius which each have some of the lowest drag coefficients of modern vehicles).

I saw pics of a WRX once that had a FMIC and in place of a scoop they just put in some black painted chicken mesh. It was a nice opening in the hood for heat to get out, but again I dont know how functional that even is, but it looked nice.