Career Change

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greg, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok, so after playing with cars for a while, I'm in the process of making a career/life change. I'm going from building race cars to............. being a cop :eek:hnoes: I'll be in Forsyth County as a Deputy Sheriff.
    I've had a lot of stuff going on lately, and I think this is the best move to make. I have a quite a few friends in the Forsyth Dept. that actually sat me down and talked to me about it. I didn't think it'd be possible, cause my records aren't exactly clean, and I haven't exactly been a model citizen... But if things don't change, its just downhill from here.

For all you cop haters our there... :fawk:

2. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I'm not a cop hater. I'm a traffic cop and /or asshole hater!
    I've thought about that myself. With a 4-year degree, you'll do very well. Just don't grow an ego.

And for the record, Napoleon Syndrome (AKA, being a cop) is for men under 5'8"... how tall are you? That's the asshole test. If I get pulled over by someone under 5'8", I know I'm getting a ticket. Don't turn into a jackass! Please, officer James. hahaaa..

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl::rofl:

Good luck with the career move. Hope you find the new career more satisfying than the last.

4. Demo24

Demo24 Member

you mean you dont want to stay in g-ville and ride down atlanta highway at 2 in the morning in your cop car??

5. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

You should join the Air Force bro....It's a great way of life...they have great law enforcement careers...LOL...G/L being a deputy sheriff.

Mark

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'm 5'5", and no I won't be changing.... I can't stand cops like that either. Show respect, you get respect... Simple.

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You might want to grab a pair of these to get some respect :naughty:

[​IMG]

8. ^^^:rofl:

Seriously though, that's outstanding news, good luck with it! Let me know if you need a hand with anything or if you have any general questions..... Which academy are they sending you to?

9. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

hahaahahhaaaa.... so true...

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

haha, thats funny about the napolean complex. before i read down, i was like "crap greg is short as hell!!"

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Thanks man, I can't remember. I think he either said Athens or Forsyth (the city). I may be wrong tho. I'll be in the jail at Forsyth Co. for 4 months, then sent to the academy. Still in the process of doing the application, polygraph (voice stress analysis), and psyc test. But I've been gauranteed a spot though, so I'm happy :) The pay in Forsyth Co. really isn't all that bad either! A lot better than what I was expecting.

12. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

Athens would be cool, having a wrxatlanta member on the force could never hurt!

13. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Congrats, my sister just made detective a month ago for APD

14. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Dont be a NARC ;)

15. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Good Luck to ya bro...You will do just fine....That is cool that you have been guaranteed a spot...you must know someone...LOL...

Mark

16. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Lol and Napoleon Complex, thats my bane right there. All those bastard short guys trying to start something just because I'm over a foot taller than them.

Anyways, congrats on figuring out what you want to do with your life. No cop hater here, just an asshole hater of all kinds. I'm normally the type to show respect and be apologetic to cops and as such have talked my way out of way more tickets than I should have been able to.

17. Jewels450

Jewels450 Member

:rofl:

Good luck with the new job. Hope it's what your looking for.

18. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

good luck with the new job.

19. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

congratz

20. We have our own academy here so I'm not too familiar with the regional ones or what their course layout is like, but I know at least half of the classes are similar..... piece of cake though, you'll be fine :bigthumb:

Good luck, keep us posted and let us know how things are coming along

21. Greg

Greg Active Member

Sure thing. Question. Is the polygraph something to sweat about like everyone says, or is it fairly simple? Just be honest on the form before hand, no matter how bad it seems? Do they grade it on what you have/haven't done, or the fact that your being honest and telling all?
    I'll admit, my past isn't exactly perfect, and I'd be in prison for a lot of the stuff that I've done if I got caught. I just want to get all that behind me with a fresh start before it gets any worse.

EDIT: Its a Voice Stress Analysis machine, so you may not be familiar with it, since from what I hear, its fairly new. Supposedly it measures four layers of sub consciencness, and its almost 'dead on' accurate.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  22. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea I dont think you should be telling them all that!

23. Greg

Greg Active Member

You don't really have a choice.... If you don't answer it on the form before hand, and then they ask it on the poly test, your caught and fail. Best bet, as far as I can tell, is to just answer every question on the form FULLY before the test, so theres no surprise questions. And just hope they don't hold it all against you. I think they mainly do it as a test of honesty and sincerity.
    What most people don't know, is that when you become a cop, you give up your rights. Therefore if something happens, and you get interviewed by Interal Affairs, you can't plead the fifth. You either cooperate and answer the questions, or surrender your badge.

24. It's not necessarily giving up your legal rights..... you could still invoke your 5th Amendment rights in the course of an investigation against you, and it would be the same as if you were a private citizen..... you would likely lose your job for it because it's probably a policy issue, but you still have your legal rights.....

No, I'm not familiar with that type of polygraph..... the one I took was just the standard coil and finger clamp all hooked up to a laptop..... I was a little nervous about it and my record was clean, so I can imagine how you'd feel with something in your past..... the operator will take into account that you'll be a little apprehensive, because almost everyone is..... as long as you're honest about things you'll be fine..... I don't know how comprehensive your background checks will be, but mine lasted for 5 months, so there was more than enough time to catch someone in a lie...... and you're right, they generally look for integrity and honesty above all else...... it's well understood that no one is perfect, and a perfect, squeaky clean applicant may not always be the best person for this job, but at the same time they don't want to hire a drug addict or a child molester either..... the best advice I can offer at this stage is just to be honest and consistent with your answers through the whole process

25. FACE

FACE Active Member

Good luck Bro!!!

remember to go easy on me please...;)

26. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

nice greg....we're one step closer to having wrxatlanta turning into a law enforcement community...
    lol make the sti a patrol car!