Carne al pastor (recipe)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, May 15, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Sorry, no pics this time...

This is a simple and incredibly tasty way to cook meat al pastor. The real deal involves stacking the shit up and cooking it gyro style, but this tastes every bit as good if you ask me.

Grab:

Meat (whatever you want, pork, chicken, beef; I used top sirloin, if you do beef you want something fairly lean)

Garlic

Cumin

Onion

Canned crushed or chunk pineapple (I like the chunky stuff)

Dried ancho chiles

Salt

Here we go... take your dried chiles and stick 'em in a microwave safe bowl and put enough water in to soak 'em. Or soak 'em ahead of time and use less water. I don't care. Nuke for 4-5 minutes. Remove from microwave oven. Pull the stems and dump the rehydrated chiles in a blender with a teaspoon or less of cumin, a pinch of salt, and a few cloves of garlic. Add some pineapple juice from the can too. Blend until a smooth thick marinade.

Slice the meat very thinly, throw in a bowl with marinade. Add the chunks of pineapple, and some roughly chopped/diced onion. Stir up and cover, let sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

Take your gooey mess and spread onto some foil on a cookie sheet, stick under a broiler until the meat pieces start blackening a bit on the corners while still being mostly soft and juicy.

Slop the stuff you just made in some warm tortillas and top off with chopped cilantro and some salsa.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  2. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

might have to give it a shot it sounds incredible.

3. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I might have to try that one out, it sounds pretty good.

Here's a quickie dip I make out of Chunky soup.

1 can Chunky brand chicken corn chowder.
    blend in mild green tobasco or green tomatillo salsa to taste
    microwave until warm
    serve with blue corn chips.

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Cool recipe. I cant wait to get a grill at my new house so we can make delicious kebobs and stuff.

5. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

moose that sounds awesome!

i remember you, alex and a few others were posting up recipes last year. i wonder if alex would be up for making a sub-section in off-topic where we could all post up recipes, and put in the old recipe posts from last year?

6. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

mmmm:drool:

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

take pics next time

titty-wop :D

8. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

for a split second i thought you had completely gone off the deep end and were posting recipes for cooking clergy. yeah, i need more coffee...

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

ooooh, delicious!

:alex: