Carputer

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by FTZ, Jan 20, 2005.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I want to put a PC in my car. I have been looking at the Mini Mac. Anyone know anything about doing this. I want to get rid of my factory stereo and put a 7" Touchscreen in place.

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

half life 2 on wheels :bigthumb:

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. I just want 20 gigs of music, a couple movies and GPS so I don't have to worry about getting lost anymore.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

That dude from the meet tonight with the 2f2f celica had a sweet ass Ps2 in his.. he could prolly point u in the right direction... I don't remember his name but I'm sure someone here will...

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

^^^^ that was Milo's friend, I'm sure he could get you in contact perhaps.

I dont really know anything about carputers but if you want 20GBs of music you can get an Alpine head unit and the Ipod interface if you have an Ipod. This is what I'm doing as soon as I get the car back.

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yeah, that would work, but I really want GPS. I get lost constantly, or need directions just about every time I go anywhere.

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that was ankur's celica... he's a good friend of mine... he got all his work done in illinois... but if u need to talk to him, i could get u in touch

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Attached Files:

9. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Check out this how to:

http://www.tmz.com/wrx/carcomputer.html

I would love to do this, just have to many other things to work on right now. GPS Nav would be awesome. I have a standalone, but having to set it up every time I get in the car is very tedious...

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You can also talk to Milo's Brother, Amol, about it.

11. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

yeah he knows all about that kind of stuff, I'm going to have him build me a PC soon.

12. E-Mol

E-Mol Member

Yep I am building my own Car PC. Chosing between Biscuit PC, Mini-ITX or regular mini-ATX/Full ATX P4 board. I am writing my own software for which if everything comes out right is going to have a Win XP backbone OS running with

1. 7" Motorized LCD TFT either on Video or XGA output touch screen
    2. USB 2.0 DVD drive playing everything from DivX to MPEG to MP3as
    3. iPod plug n plug integration
    4. USB/Firewire drive access
    5. Mappoint 2K4 based GPS navigation
    6. Wireless remote

Everything should be ready around early/mid 2006 if school permits me. I had an xbox w/ 120GB HDD before but I think the PC will be more promising....

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

u seem to like big fancy words... interested in http://www.wrxatlanta.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=604 ?

14. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful