CF hood is no good

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Willsanches, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

I have a 04 silver wrx with a Seibon CF sti style hood. Honestly the hood looks like crap. I'm not a fan of the CF look to begin with but mine full of spots and blemishes so it's even uglier in my opinion.
    That being said, I need help figuring out what to do with it?..I need money so I was thinking about Trying to sell it and getting a regular hood.
    Is the reduced weight of it worth keeping it? And if I keep it is it possible to paint it without it looking like crap? I've heard you can't paint carbon fiber...any opinions would be appreciated...

2. Max Q

Max Q Member

Actually, all those blemishes can be fixed with $1.10. One dollar for gas and ten cents for matches. Harrrrr!!!!

(Yes you can paint it)

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

you can paint it just like you can paint plastic or carbon fiber. what you see peeling and bubbling is in fact just plain ole' clear coat like is on your car (or could be the resin used to keep the CF together). you can have it sanded and re-cleared with a better quality clear (CF manufacturers are notorious for using shitty clear, so fading is COMMON), i did this on my old honda. my hood faded within 6 months (seibon as well). you probably wont be able to sell it as is, or trade it for that matter. it just makes sense to get it recleared (or painted) then decide what you want to do with it

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Were u on 92 yesterday?

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Siebon has low enough quality as it is, so I can't imagine a replica going above and beyond the call of duty.

Our aluminum hoods are quite light to begin with, you may gain a pound or so in weight reduction depending on how your hood is assembled. It may even be more heavy than OEM :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

It is actually the gel coat that most commonly bubbles on cheap CF hoods. Most of the cheaper hoods do not use a UV rated gel coat because they are supposed to be painted.

7. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

Nope, haven't been that way since tuesday

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You can paint it. The problem is the resin is typically full of pinholes that paint will show but the trick is getting someone that knows what they are doing. You can't simply spray primer then paint....it's all in the prep work.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Sell it on craigslist and call it a day.