Chasing lost boost.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Segrez, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Segrez

Segrez New Member

So here's my dilemma.
    I brought my silver 2003 WRX(Roxy) home back in November.
    Over time J_P and I replaced the after MAF hose, turbo inlet, intercooler piping and ancillaries with silicone piping.
    I recently replaced the BPV gasket and BCS with one pulled from and '04 STI.
    And lastly AllPro reattached my waste gate arm.

Right now I'm only getting maybe 7psi of boost.
    It feels like the waste gate is fluttering open and closed and my boost gauge bounces around .07.

Any ideas?

2. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Does it still have the stock turbo?

3. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

it does

4. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Was everything fine pre work?
    Did you double check all new hoses are ALL the way on? When I did my DP, I thought I had all the intercooler hoses back on correctly and found one that needed a little extra umph to get it properly seated.

5. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

It sounds like you are running mechanical boost. I had an issue where I had a dirty maf that didn't throw a code at first cause me to run mechanical boost. Also make sure the boost solenoid is working properly and the hoses are attached correctly. there's an easy way to test them.

6. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

This is an issue he's been chasing since he bought the car. The actuator arm wasn't connected so it was no boost originally. Most of the work has been an attempt to fix the issue. I agree it definitely sounds like its running mechanical boost. Just don't know why.

7. KGraska

KGraska Member

Make sure the restrictor pill wasn't removed by the previous owner....Seen it before. The PO was running an aftermarket BCS with no pill and then reverted back to stock before selling the car only to leave the same hoses on. Car only hit mechanical boost.

I've also seen guys replace all their vac hoses with fancy silicon stuff for bling and forget about the restrictor pill in there.

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yep, X2 on restrictor pill. It goes in the right hose of the "Y"

9. Segrez

Segrez New Member

The restrictor pill was replaced by one I picked up from the dealership. So that isn't it either.