check engine light

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by knhtrdr, May 29, 2006.

1. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

:eek:hnoes: my engine light came on today. checked battery, oil, coolant, gas cap cant find anything wrong. havent driven since Saturday car stutterd like it didn't want to turnover when cranking and the light came on soon after that's when I went to check the battery. the car runs fine even been babyin it to save on gas. is there anything else I should be looking for before I take it to the shop?

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

You could drive by AutoZone and get the code(s) pulled.

3. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

what will that do just turn it off or find out what is makin it come on?

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

The latter.

5. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

If you want I can meet up with ya and run that code for ya....or autozone can as well.....they can't erase the code....I can if you want me too....let me know....

6. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Thanks, I'll think about it. I know the light came on for a reason just cant seem to find out why.

7. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

well I could plug it in and tell you why.......

8. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Oh... I get it now (a little slow on that) sorry.

What part of town you work on?

9. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

10. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Yeah that works see ya then!

11. You close to anyone with an access port they can pull the code and then check the number in there book...i pulled the code on a 00 2.5 rs with my Ap and it worked.

12. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

the funniest thing. today when I put gas in the car went down the street and it went off?? still don't know why it was on but oh well.

13. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

reason is ur o2 sensor or low air intake it happens to me all the time..
    sometimes the 02 sensor acts ghey and shows the sign..
    and it goes off sometimes when u fill up or when ur car is idle for a long long time as in 2 days..

14. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I didn't fill up just put 10 bucks in and that put it right below half tank.

15. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Autozone can both pull and erase the code. I do it once a week.

16. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

sometimes it will throw a code if your gas cap is loose. maybe when you filled you tightened it properly and it went away. di you try to pull the code tonight just to see what it was? when you get the code you can lookit up here
    http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  17. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

i tried to run his ecu but my hand held, couldn't read it..or mine for some reason....the heat might have fried it....I have an AP but you have to marry it to your ECU to run codes....I suggested a lose gas cap but not sure what was the trigger....

18. or it could of been the knock sensor and when you out a better grade or better kinda of gas init fixed the problem. That happened to a guy here.

19. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

yeah the last time before that I got gas at a shell that i never been too before. Ill never go back there.