Chip Mgmnt

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by AthensWRX, Feb 8, 2005.

1. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

I've been following a bunch of you guys that are reflashing and such but i still don't think i have a full understanding of the best options out there. Can you guys help me out? I was think ing of getting reflashed by vishnu for 650 but I want to get the best for $, performance, and long term effects... don't know if that would be the case with them. A little help on the ECU

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i'm running the ecutek right now and im extremely happy with it... u could get it flashed by vishnu but the tune will be slightly conservative compared to what u can get if the map is tuned specifically for ur car... that is because vishnu's tune will be based on maps they've made for cars with similar setups but there are always variations between different cars... i got my reflash at SOG... scott is a great tuner and did a great job on my car... with full turbo-back, uppipe and ecutek, i got ~233whp and ~251 lb-ft on dynopak which is awesome... then again, custom tuning will cost u more but i think its definitely worth the extra $$$

3. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

so for the ecutek are you actually changing the stock chip or just getting it reflashed? And, if I go that route do think i should wait until after I do other planned mods so it'll be mapped for the best and i don't have to do it twice?

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

its a reflash so there's no hardware included... i would recommend u wait till u complete ur planned mods and get the reflash once... however, it depends on how much u plan on modding ur car... the stock ecu will run the car fine with full exhaust, intake, intercooler, etc... but if u change ur injectors, turbo, etc, i dont think ur stock ecu will be able to run the car anymore

5. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

cool, thanks

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

no problem

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I am waiting for my reflashed EcuTek from Kingpin. It is supposed to be here soon, I am doing the same thing you would be doing by getting it from Kingpin, a base reflash for the mods I have for 650. It is a core exchange so when I get the new ECU I send my ECU back to them. What Milo did was get the reflash and tune at the same time. Tuning should generally take about 2 to 3 hours. So the base reflash would be fine, when you get more mods take it to SoG and Scott can tune it. Basically all you are paying for from Vishnu is a license for you ECU to be modified, then you can take it to any Ecutek tuner for additional tuning. Should work out the same in the end, pricewise as well. You can also plan ahead for some mods, and have the Ecu tuned for that to begin with. I am getting mine tuned for Turbo Back Exhaust, Upipe, and STi intercooler. I shoudl be getting the intercooler in the next few weeks so I will not need to reflash it then it will already be there.