Clunking Noise from Sway Bars

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Enzo, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I am posting this because I could not find it elsewhere when I was having the clunking issue with my swaybar / endlink combination. I have a 2013 WRX hatch and I had 24mm front and 22mm rear whiteline swaybars installed on my car with Kartboy endlinks. Everything was installed pretty close to perfect with the exception of a very annoying clunking noise coming from the front sway. After numerous attempts using various spacers I was still hearing the clunking noise. Finally this weekend I removed everything from the car and started back over only to still hear the clunking noise. Then I noticed that the bushings for the sway bar were completely dry. The clunking noise must have been a result of the swaybar not being able to flex without getting caught in the bushing. I rubbed a tiny bit of grease on the bushings and the sound is completely gone.

So if anyone else has that issue, even though whiteline says the bushings do not need to be greased, apply a tiny amount and you will not hear anymore noise.