clutch going out in my 06.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mike, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mike

Mike Member

Alright, I have a 2006 WRX. IT has 27,000 miles on it. Got it in January.

I hardly ever beat on this car, im not saying I dont haul ass because I do but I never launch it or anything like that. My clutch just randomly started slipping BAD mainly in 4th gear. Ill be cruising in 4th gear at like 2500 rpms and slowly step on the gas and the RPMs shoot up and I go nowhere, it sucks. Its now getting to the point where it does it in almost every gear except 1st. I took it to SOG today and they said it has 1k miles left then its DONE.

What do I do, I want to sell the car soon due to gas/insurance prices being outrageous. Ive read that the clutch is a different type of pressure plate or something, should I change the clutch out myself with an OEM disk or should I have SOG do it for 1400$ like they said (FU*K THAT!) does anyone on here replace them for a good price?

Let me know asap

Mike

2. Is the clutch not covered under warranty? I though I read somewhere that they are...

3. Mike

Mike Member

Where do I check? SOG said it wasnt, but of course they will say that.

4. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

damn thats high. Its not that difficult to change but you have to take a lot of s#!t out (engine) to do it. Subie motors are a snap to pull out.

5. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Clutch is not covered by warranty...it is considered a wear item (tires, windshield wipers, etc.)

What mods do you have that caused your clutch to die at 27k miles?

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

5mt right??? If so do that yourself and do not pull the engine for a 5mt. 6MT pull the engine.
    Forget SOG talk to KINGWREX.

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Kingwrex Ftw

8. Mike

Mike Member

its 5 speed, all i have is sti exhaust and intake. nothing else. I read on some forum that the average mileage that the clutch goes out is 25,000 miles on an 06.

9. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Im not sure about that the STI and the 92x have 30xxx and 28xxx miles on them and the clutches are both healthy. And trust me the clutch on the 92x gets beat up by the gf quiet often

10. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

My 02 still has the original clutch....93kish miles on it

11. jayj713

jayj713 Member

My clutch slips once in a while in 4th and 5th. Luckily hasnt happened in any other gears.

EDIT: I have about 31k miles.

12. Mike

Mike Member

yea, Ive heard that the 06 stock WRX clutch sucks ass. Mine only slipped in 4th gear about a month ago and now it slips just about every gear. I dont have the money to replace it now, IDK what to do.

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

pickup a disk off of ebay for about a 100 and swap it yourself with one buddy get the girly to turn the crank.

14. Mike

Mike Member

how much harder is it to swap a clutch in my car vs a Nissan 240sx

I have an S14 and its a bitch to change the clutch in that, im sure its worse in the wrx...

15. FACE

FACE Active Member

with the 5mt you just put the car up on stands and drop the tranny. I think you should talk to kingwrex...send him a pm and im sure he will help you out

16. Mike

Mike Member

I did talk to him, Im trying to figure out what his point was.

17. My 06 has 55k on it.no clutch problems so far.

18. techlord

techlord Active Member

really is not that bad we had importracer's on the ground in less than 2hrs from the time he rolled in my garage.

disconnect the obvious, pop out the ball joints, pop out the spring pins, 2 jacks one to support the tranny one to manipulate the angle of the engine, slide that bitch off then drink a beer.

19. Mike

Mike Member

Im going to put it on a lift and check it out then buy a clutch and most likely do it myself

20. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

id help you do it but im really busy with changing dealerships at the moment. if something is freed up for me ill let you know if i can help you out.

21. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

My clutch mysteriously went out in my STi, took it to SoG, they couldn't figure out what was going on. It wasn't slipping, it just stopped working all together. They said they didn't know what the problem was, so they replaced the clutch, flywheel and some of the dog gears.

I got a bill for $6k, but warranty covered all of it...including the rental car. BTW, stock impreza = not good...got the same mileage as my STi and is sslloooww.

22. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

mine in my sti went out at 60,000 after i put the gt30r kit on it. i bought a exedy 3 puck clutch and my guy here in blairsville put it and my tein springs on for $500 bucks.

23. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

a stock clutch is not designed to go out after 25k miles. whoever you bought it from must not know how to drive a stick....or maybe you?

and yes, something like that is not covered by any warranty.

24. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yeah that clutch sounds over spanked, if you bought it used it may have been abused.

25. Mike

Mike Member

thanks man!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  26. Mike

Mike Member

It deffinately is not me, I can drive fine, must have been the owner before me for sure.

27. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

In my years of driving manuals (22 or so) and reading internet forums (12 or so) the best I have determined is that there is no average life for a clutch regardless of model. I would guess a sports car would be less just based on how it is driven. Don't let it slip much, they can last a long time (200K+). If it slips a lot, I have heard of them lasting less than 6K.

Change it and if you drive it OK, you should be fine.

28. Mike

Mike Member

any reccomendations on what clutch I should get, money is tight, keep that in mind!

29. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Might want to ask Matt @ Batlground he has given me some very fare qoutes on parts and is uber knowledgeable.

http://Parts.BATLGROUND.com/
    ^^^^Check out the new parts website^^^^^
    Batlground@Gmail.com
    AWD Dynojet -Tuning by Dan Willie
    770-319-9605

30. Mike

Mike Member

Ok I will^

What if I bought a decent clutch disk like ACT and resurfaced the stock pressure plate and used it again if it wasnt too bad? Would that be ok?

31. Tray@topspeed

Tray@topspeed Member

You can always schedule an appointment at TopSpeed. We can fix it for you no problem!

32. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

typically pressure plates are replaced and not resurfaced. You can resurface the flywheel. I guess the reason to replace the pressure plate if something else went wrong with it, you would have to take it all back apart again.

33. Mike

Mike Member

oh well clutch kits for this car are super expensive like a stage 2 kit is like 4-500 and a pressure plate alone is 200+ its rediculous and I have no money.

34. Matt

I don't think Matt works there anymore.....

35. Matt

are you planning on doing major power upgrades in the next few months or year? If not, then stage 2 is not worth it. Go for an OEM replacement kit and you'll be just fine. That and a kit comes with the pressure plate.

boxer4racing.com has an OEM replacement clutch kit for your car for $249.

also, you can get a slightly upgraded clutch kit on ebay for 348. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXED...trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ270262512475

36. Mike

Mike Member

Thanks man!!

37. Matt

no problem homie....just trying to help out. :)

38. Matt

double post FTL....

39. WJM

WJM Banned

The clutch DISC is the only wear item thats not covered under warranty. If the pressure plate goes bad, or throwout bearing, thats covered under the 3/36.

Brakes, wiper blades and some other 'wear items' are covered but you can only get them ONCE under the 3/36.

Dont know what kind of crack you're smoking but it only takes me about 20 mins longer than a 5MT to do a clutch job on a 6MT.

I can do a 5MT clutch job from start to finish in 45~60 mins.

40. Matt

truth...I've seen him do it. :)

41. Mike..Maybe the pressure plate was defective and ruined the clutch disc.??(warranty?)...?not enough clamping pressure?? see post from 07ltd#67
    Seriously I would replace the disc,pressure plate,release bearing and pilot bushing(bearing?) if it was my car.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  42. integroid

Man, I wish you lived closer. I need to get my new clutch installed on my Legacy. King, you still available?

43. Mike

Mike Member

Im ordering a clutch in the next few days, please someone help me find the best one for me for a low price!!

Thanks to all of you, you help me alot!

Mike

44. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Will I'd like to see you do those times on the ground. Everything easier when you have a lift. I bet the customer still pays for 6 hours too even though you can do it in 1.

King and Ped did mine in the garage. They pulled the motor, surprisingly it took only 45 min (if that). About 4 hours later, including a long lunch break I was on my way home.

45. integroid

Mike, I get a pretty good discount on SPEC clutches but even with my discount, it would be cheaper to get the clutch already listed or the OEM.

PM Topspeed or battlground to see what they can sell you a clutch for.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  46. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

im changing dealerships next week so im kinda busy with that and i wont be able to do side jobs at the new shop. id have to do it in my garage

47. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I can offer my garage space for a small fee :fawk: :)

48. Mike

Mike Member

pEd, how much would you charge to do my clutch? sence you have done a few...

49. It was weird ..today the Cartalk guys where talking about a guy whose clutch went out on his subee.Evidently there is a problem with weak pressure plates.(Not enough clamping force.) So was that you who called??

50. WJM

WJM Banned

Not going to happen.

Thats the point.

The beauty of FLAT RATE pricing.