cobalt is wrx competition [ss dyno vid]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by feelthebreak, Apr 30, 2005.

1. feelthebreak

feelthebreak Member

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Still wouldn't consider it competition per se. I doubt those conisdering the WRX would seriously cross shop the Cobalt as they are two very different vehicles. Perfomrance wise, they may not be too far apart, but function/ community wise they are night and day. I still see the cobalt in the arena of the Saturn Redline, Dodge SRT-4 and new civic si. Just my .02...

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

they said the same thing about the srt-4, and the average owner returned their car or sold it off within the first 6 months.

4. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

The cobalt SS is pretty cool, im not big on the looks but it runs the slalom as fast as the new c6 corvette with the z51 package so its nothing to blow of on handling. even though it handles nicely AWD/RWD will always beat FWD in handling even if it costs a little money above stock.

5. BelvnAWD

Where did those numbers come from? I would be intrested to see that article.

Edit, just checked, and that would mean it was faster through the slalom than the s2000 and BMW Z4 3.0. Also found out that there is an SS package for the Cobalt which includes Recaro's and a Quaife. Maybe I should rethink my attitude towards this car. Though, I am still leery of tha claim, not you WRX, just the article that states this...

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I think those numbers are misquoted/misunderstood. The article, I believe, stated it was the quickest front wheel drive vehicle through the slalom. Even a base C6 does it faster, although not by much (70mph vs 69).

The Boxster S did it at 70.9mph, and the Lotus Elise at 73.2!

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

not to shabby..id still get an srt4 over the cobalt..but still not to bad

8. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

yes, but that was because they realised they still bought a Neon.... ;p

9. Mad Mallard

i've driven the sport suspension package on a non SS cobalt and I can tell you it is MILES above the Cavy.

that being said, it wasn't too hard to set a goal to exceed the Cavy...

10. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

its still front wheel drive fellla's....

11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

And still a Chevy...

12. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

very true.......

13. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Despite the apparent performance, and i haven't seen many real numbers just "manufacturer estimate" or what seems to be misquoted to make it appear better than it is. There's a lot of hype because it's supercharged and new. I'd give it a year to prove itself first. After all, HP and torque aren't everything. I refer you to the elise vs. C5 (stock C6) arguments. And what about hemis? Big, powerful when they're 5.6Litres, but fundamentally outdated with 4 valve heads. They're all hype and could be a lot better if Dodge would stop living in the 1970s and start 4-porting their engines. They could reduce size and gain power. I have a feeling the Cobalt SS will be the same way, a lot of hype with very little real credibility.

14. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

"They're all hype and could be a lot better if Dodge would stop living in the 1970s and start 4-porting their engines"

i dont really wish to start an argument but there is absolutely nothing wrong with push rod engines, they arent "living in the 70's". The new Z06 handles incredibly and is absolutely awesome and it uses a pushrod engine and makes 500hp, you might as well say that it uses "outdated technology" with its suspension because it uses a type of leaf spring set up in the rear end, and we all know roman chariots used leaf springs so chevy must be living in the 570's BC how lame:rolleyes: lets also not forget that even though they might not last forever the worlds fastest cars use pushrods with 2 valves per piston.

The new HEMI's that dodge uses are some of the most technologically advanced engines in a modern production car. only one of the advanced features it has is the Muti Displacement system, which would be near impossible to do on a OHC engine.

Im sure people will think Im nuts now but i just wish people wouldnt make ignorant statements, OHC engines are fantastic but there is also nothing wrong with OHV set ups.

Alex/WRX-WRC

15. Mad Mallard

yeah. plenty of drag car bodies use them.

16. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

I wasn't so much talking about the suspensions or leaf springs and what not. But with the engines, there's a general heirarchy of how good your airflow is: 2-valve < hemispherical < 4-valve. I am not denying that there are some advantages to a hemi, especially the new ones, but I am saying that they are not necessarily worth all of the "because it's a hemi" hype that they're getting. My main point was that I think the cobalt is getting a lot of hype early one, but it will take a year to prove itself. Some cars do, some don't. It will just take a while.

17. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

well i guess you are right about the HEMI in that case, i knew what a HEMI was before that stupid slogan and it gets on my nerves every time i here some say does that thing got a HEMI, most people dont even know what the hell it means.

18. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

no to mention from what i have read on them the ss have only a 5 speed

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Back to the topic... Its still a Cobalt, a SRT4 is still a neon...

"you can't polish a turd" and "you can't put a silk hat on a pig..."

20. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea and the wrx is still an impreza..:dunno
    not sure what that means..again i am not trying to start an arguement but srt4s are awesome cars..neons have a good history with autocross..now cavaliers/cobalts that a different story but i am a fan of cars in general..go drive an srt4 i bet you will be very impressed..i know i was!! as far as the cobalt i will go test drive one as well but from what ive seen with the cobalt it seems like it could be a pretty good car..

21. married05gt

married05gt starting over

I think some people are mad because they have been embarised/outran by a srt-4. With that being said I wouldn't trade my car for any other $30,000.00 or less car on the market.

22. BelvnAWD

I agree with Married, people get so caught up in bench racing that they forget why they bought the car in the first place. I am happy to admit that I conisdered the SRT4, RSX-S, Mini S, as well as a few other cars before I got the Rex. I went with the WRX for a variety of reasons. Ultimate performance was pretty far down the list. I. like Kris, consider myself a car guy. I don't care who makes it or what country it comes from. If its a nice car, I am all for it. The SRT4 and Cobalt should only push Subaru to up the ante for the next gen. impreza. Don't tell me that the 2.5L going into the 06 is just to get the 2.o out of the us market...

23. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok guys, I didn't mean to start shit...I can appreciate that the SRT4 and Cobalt are fast cars... I think my point is they are bottom of the chrysler and dodge lines, and there quality reflects it.. My last car was a dodge status and it was garbage. The neon is a step down from that.. Mickey mouse interior, unreliable. The cobalt is the bottom of the line for Chevy. I haven't seen one up close but I would expect the same low quality. I too consider myself a car guy. I don't care who makes it either. hell, if I had the cash, I'd be driving a vette..

The only place I disagree with you guys is about the WRX. The WRX and even the 2.5RS hands down have much higher quality and better reliablity off the lot that either of the cars mentioned above, not to mention resale value...

So..Apology to any offended...Hope my explanation helps..

24. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Looks like its best numbers were 221/187.

Not bad, my friend is looking at picking one up.

25. married05gt

I like my # better. the more turque the better. Plus ecutec soon Bring it biatches:fawk:

26. BelvnAWD

Chris,
    I don't think you need to apologize for anything. This might be the longest unwhored thread in WRXatlanta history. We all like cars and some are more passionate than others. I am glad there is diversity of opinion on here, while still being respectful. This thread really makes it feel like a car forum! :bigthumb:

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have full respect for srt4s... it doesn't take much to make them real fast... dunno much about the cobalt though... it is a pretty good looking car... it probably would be a force to reckon with once people start modding

28. married05gt

Speaking of srt-4's. Shane how fast is yours and what kind of numbers do you make.

29. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

We'll have to see what kinda numbers people get when Kenne Bell or Jackson Racing or any other big supercharger maker comes out with a replacement for the likely inefficient OEM supercharger.

30. Mad Mallard

i think i remember seeing an ecotech extreme tuning project comissioned by GM that produce a 1000 hp 4 cyl...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5482

i found another one on this a while ago that was step by step with forensics of which part broke at what horsepower.... and if i remember clearly, they had nitrous up to 400hp on stock internals....

31. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

I like! But Not in the market for one.

32. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I agree with Genya, looks pretty good but I would never buy one.

33. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Lets get them into the Twisties and see if they are really competition for the WRX.