Cobb AP and Dealers?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by TURBOH4, Apr 2, 2015.

1. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Let me just first start by saying that I have endlessly researched this topic only to come up wondering what exactly is going to happen if/when I decide to install the AP3 and if/when I need warranty work. Cobb says one thing, members of NASIOC (taken with a grain of salt, to be sure) say another. That's not really the point of this thread. I totally get it - I don't want to beat a dead horse or anything.

What I'm curious about is, are any of the available GA dealers "mod friendly"? I'm not talking about Stage 2 or 3 or any extravagant mods. I just want to clean up the powerband and, from what I hear, the OTS Stage 1 from Cobb is perfect for that.

What I don't want to have happen is to end up up-a-creek without a paddle, if, god forbid, I ever have to have warranty work done. It just doesn't seem right for Subaru to deny a claim based solely on something like a Stage 1 tune. I know the logic and reasoning behind it...but it just doesn't seem fair. Subaru isn't going to issue a service bulletin for the choppy tune that the STi comes with from the factory.

Plus, I've *heard* that it's possible the overly lean tune of the stock map is what causes or contributes to the infamous "ring land failure". Of course, I can't say that there is any validity to this at all. Who knows, right? It's all speculative. However, that does make me worry "well, what if I wait until the warranty has expired before installing the Cobb AP - what if it's too late and there's permanent damage done by the lean tune?" A bit extreme, I know. But I'm a worry-wart, especially when it comes to things that I care a lot about.

Lastly, if this is a taboo subject or something, I do apologize. I didn't see it in the rules or anything like that. Please feel free to delete the thread if it's not appropriate.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

first and foremost. SoA reads these forums, so if you do in fact get the AP, flash the car, and then have a problem and return to stock, they will know. :\

I can't think of a dealer that will help you out in case something happens.

3. if you have any concern about a warranty, don't tune the car

4. but yes, a tune will fix what youre talking about

5. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Fair, but I haven't, heh.

6. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Matt was just giving a heads up because we've heard the story too many times. SOG used to be mod friendly. If the failure clearly had nothing to do with your mod they would ignore the mod. However, that has not been the case for quite a number of years now.

I hope SOA is reading this, but I suspect they aren't looking for my $.02. The stage 1 OTS tune from Cobb made my GD drive-able when you didn't have your foot in it. I haven't read or heard of any complaints with stage 1. That is how the car should have come from the factory imo.

The only way to be 100% sure is to not mod your car. I will say that the amount of time you spend trying to get SOA and/or the dealer to cover any warranty work worth worrying about is a frustrating experience. They will deny you hoping you just go away. If you continue to push they might come back with an offer to handle it as "good will".

All of my subies are out of warranty now and I won't see a dealership unless I need a part today. AllPro for any work I can't or don't have time to do.

7. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

That's some good information, I appreciate the input. I've been wondering if there were any non-dealer, trusted shops around. Allpro sounds like it (I did some reading). Thanks!