Cobb Catless Down Pipe

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Slowsoul, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

One nice piece of pipe!

I just finished installing the Cobb Catless Down Pipe and a Stromung dual tip CBE on my 02 WRX. So, I thought that I would add a review to the site. I will review the Stromung Exhaust seperately.

I bought my WRX with a Turbo back exhaust already installed on it, so that is what I am baseing this comparison off of.

I ordered my parts from boxer4racing.com, they are a pleasure to deal with and I look forward to purchasing from them in the future. They carry a focused catalogue, not a whole lot to choose from, but everything that they carry is top of the line. So there isn't a bunch of garbage parts to sift through, which is awesome.

The pipe came in a nice looking carboard box. When I opened the box a nice big clean new down pipe was sitting in it! I was very happy. It really is a nice piece. The welds are very clean and it feels solid. Later during the install however, I was a bit disappointed to find out that there was not a doughnut gasket included, nor any other install hardware (nuts and bolts)...and for a $425.00 part, there is really no excuse not to include those items. I was lucky enough to find an exhaust and muffler shop off of Lawerenceville HWY that just so happened to have a large enough doughnut gasket that had been pulled off of another car. I picked it up for 5 bucks and all was good, but before finding them I was going to have to wait for the part in the mail. Like I said, there is NO reason that cobb should not supply at least a doughnut gasket with the pipe. I'll be calling them on monday to tell them how I feel.

The fitment is PERFECT, the downpipe that was on the car before was constantly rubbing the firewall and transmitting an excessive amount turbo and exhaust noise into the cabin, especially on left turns, when the chassis would flex and the pipe would come incontact with the firewall. The Cobb Dp sits well away from the firewall, and has no contact issues. Addtionally, the thicker pipe also helps to further dampen the exhaust and turbo noises as well. It is an aftermarket DP so, you can still hear them, but they are no where near as loud, which is nice.

As far as the performance gains are concearned, not much change before and after. However, as I mentioned before the only comparison that I have is the Downpipe that was on the car before, which was a NUMBER 1 downpipe, but besides craftsman ship and fitment, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the performace gains between downpipes. The throttle feels a lot smoother now than it did with the previous DP installed, but that could also have a lot to do with the Stromung exhaust as well...on a side note, the Cobb/Stromung combo is effing AWESOME!

The main reason I bought the pipe was because of the poor fitment of the NUMBER 1 DP, and it solved that issue...very well.

Cobb Catless Downpipe gets a 8 out of 10. I would have given it a perfect 10 if it had come with the hardware that I needed to install it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Congrats Man.....I am happy for ya...Great Review..

Mark

3. Boxer112

Boxer112 Member

sound clip????

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

5. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

oh...I thought this was the review section.

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

Good review, and I had totally forgotten about the second review section too.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

sounds awesome man..you going to have it dyno'd

8. crash#2

crash#2 Member

+1 for boxer4, as im from NC

9. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Dyno'd and tuned at SOG, hopefully I can make that happen sometime next month!