COBB Stage 2

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by JJang12, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

DAMN !!!!!!!

No wonder, Stage 2 ROCKS!!! Here is my current mods:

Cobb AccessECU Stage 2
    Crucial Racing UP
    Crucial Racing DP
    Stock 3rd Cat
    Stromung 3" Catback
    Samco IC "Y" Hose

I think i make about 235 whp (which will be verified whenever i get chance to stop by Top Speed). It's sooo FUCKING FAST!!!! (i usually don't curse. at least trying best not to) After all the hard working, it was all worth it.

Installation
    -----------------------

I followed Perrin's & Vishnu's and other nasioc members' instructions. I started around 2AM and was done around 10 am. i kno i kno. I was dead tired and was cramped in tiny garage cuz my mom's car was next to mine. Also i constantly looked for tools since i was dead sleepy and tired. No major problem during installation. I think i can do this in about 3 hours or less if i do this again.
    I really had a GREAT fun wrenching my car. SOOO much better than working on my R/C Cars. When I saw the Uppipe's cat, damn... it looked really really restrictive. Stock downpipe also had pretty bad restriction due to cat and the bend angle.

So far no leak. I hear more turbo whining and wastegate flutter. AWESOME!!!! I might take out air silencer again for more turbo sound. My exhaust got slightly louder which was expected. BUT still it's less, a lot less louder than Milo's. haha

Driving Impression
    ------------------------------

Getting into 100 is no problem now. Throttle response is SOOO smooth. Full boost comes at around 3000~3200 rpm with about 16.5 PSI. I think it drops back to around 13~14 psi around redline tho. DAMN!!!!!!! I love this. It speeds up sooo quickly, i now do feel like i need better rubbers to STOP. (still got RE92s)

1st, 2nd : too short!!
    3rd : It pulls like i'm in old 2nd gear. Damn!!! it's gooooood
    4th : It pulls just hard like in 3rd.
    5th : haven't tested due to lack of time

The most power can be felt at WOT all the time. At partial throttle, you can barely feel compare to before. But it did gain lots of torque at bottom low even at close loop.

I definately recommend to EVERY wrx owners!!! No regrets!!! I feel like I'm going to upgrade to VF34 in near future. Hope that it won't happen tho. I wish that I could take some pix during installation, but i lost my digital camera's charger. sux....

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

JW..
    Sweet that you did it by yourself...After watching Porter wrestle with mine for hours and hours, I can't imaging doing that myself. How did you get that uppipe out? Porter ending up taking the front right portion of the headers out... I've heard others Jack up the enging a little or loosen the turbo.
    How are you reading your boost? I'm stage 2 using the stock gauge(fricken MPa's) and am hitting .13 in 3rd-5th(not in 1st and 2nd long enough to look!) which equals around 18.5 psi.
    Hoping your guess about horsepower is right, I have the same mods as you. Waiting for midpipe and 3rd section w/high flow cat to come before I hit the dyno.

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

sounds like ur making some good power... planning on getting any suspension stuff done before track day?

4. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

Your butt dyno is probably pretty close. Mine did a lttle more but I have a high flow cat. 245whp/247tq if I recall correctly. TS hasn't emailed me the plot yet and I didn't pay that much attention as I was more interested in the way the car sounded (good I thought. :)) and just glanced at it. I would have been satisfied with 220 or so.
    Did you downlaod the 1.20 map? It seems much better than the one that came preloaded on the AP for my setup. I'm curious if you have a weird littte burp just before 3k as mine does at times.

5. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Chris, I jacked up the engine slightly and pulled out the UP to the empty space where DP used to be. From my research, this was the easiest method. I was scared to death cuz i was jacking up the engine at engine oil pan. damnn.... luckily no damage was done which was really nice.

i have Defi D-Gauge which is mechanical. I get reading around 17.5 PSI, but i used to get 16 PSI at stage 1 and 14.5 at stock. I get pretty good kick at 5th gear now.

Milo, I'm pretty sure that i'll get only F&R sway bars and be done with suspension. My most urgent upgrade will be "TIRES" now. Then F&R sway bars, then brake pads upgrade.

BlueBox, I flashed with 1.20 and never used 1.17 or old one before. As far i remember, i don't get hick up at any rpm. maybe that burp is a knock??? 245/247 is really nice. I will get dyno done shortly.

6. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours