cold air intake reallys sucks

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by youradumb1, Jun 25, 2005.

1. youradumb1

youradumb1 Member

i have an injen true cold air rd intake. great hp gain with all the other mods ,but it sucks. meaning the one peice tubing goes all the way down to the bottom of the inner fender,that witha lowerd car means i cant drive over 45 in the rainl ol,or hit puddles. but man it sounds great the turbo wine is ecoed in the fender and is extra loud,pluse if u have a stock bov you can hear it pretty well in the fender.

stephen

2. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

you should get a bybass valve for the cai. like 80 bucks from aem. for the money you get graet insurance aganst hydro-lock.

3. youradumb1

youradumb1 Member

i know but itas a one peice

4. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

So far never heard of people had hydro bc of CAI. I wanted CAI, but didn't want to take any risk~!! Most likely, i'm gonna go with Green Filter in stock airbox.

5. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

BTW, i'm glad that you post this on "BLING" forum instead of "VROOOM" forum. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

well... its moving to reviews

7. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I went with APS for that very reason. As far as i know, its as cold as you can get without being on the ground. The filter locates just inside the fender well.

8. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

ok the deal with CAI is that you are not going to get hydro-lock unless you submerge all ar part of the filter in water.
    This is true for a few reasons

1) the filter element will absorbe any small amounts of water keeping them from even reaching the tube of the CAI

2) if a small amount of water did get inside the tube you would have to be on the throttle hard enough to cause that one small drop of water to rise up the intake tube(all 12-15 inches of it... through the turbo.... and into the intercooler... and through the throttle body.. needles to say this would take some bit of determination on your part.... (i dont think anyone is trying to get HL ;) )

3)However, if you submerge you filter in water(ie. driving through a footdeep puddle) then it is very likely to get HL as you intake has no choice but to suck water.... (honestly though how many foot deep puddles do you incounter...)

this comes from my dad and grandfather who are both car enthusiast and worked as engineers for NASA... to furthur support my argument the later is a clip from the injen website.

Will water enter my engine if I install a cold air intake?

No, although water can enter the engine if the filter becomes submerged in water. Rain splashes and small puddles generally do not cause hydrolock. If the filter becomes submerged in water it could cause hydrolock and cause damage to the engine. We do not recommend driving through deep puddles and or floods. Most filters lie 12-14 inches above the ground. You may add a device to prevent hydrolock but cutting the intake system for installation will void our manufacturers warranty.

9. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

hope that clears up any misunderstandings.... CAI are not evil they are like any other mod with a trade off for proformance.... in our enviroment most of us will never encounter problems with HL... If you are racing in rally event then a CAI is prolly not for you or even if you live in the midwest which is more prone to floods than GA... Like i said before it is like every mod we all do to the car .... you have to decide what is right for YOUR type of driving situations.

10. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

Also note that if you replace the inner fender properly and removed all of the stock intake including the peice that went from abouve the radiator to the inner fender, there is no way for water to enter that without submerging you car in water.. as the fender well overlaps the front bumper and the water even from a splash caused by your tire will have a hard time going up and around the two peices of plastic

11. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

ok so i used to live i fla and it has no elevation. standing water came with rain. you may drive the same road all the time but never noticed that itll flood if given enough water. so your driving in rain thats been comming down awhile and the road you drive is now flooded. you got traffic behind you what are you gonna do? case in point tonight 400S had a huge puddle about 6 inches deep. i was confident going through it. milo on the other hand was sweating a lil. (check out the taco mac thread last post) i know it has to be submerged. but remember that the fog lights have holes behind them so water can be forced into the fender wellfrom the front. reguardless of the overlapping. why take that chance? do you go on road trips in unfimilur*sp driving territory? again floods happen. i know this is all what if, but better safe than broke down in the rain with a few grand in damage calling a flat bed to retrieve you. and to injens responce the 12 to 14 inches is only true for non lowered cars. they also said generaly that still leave a chance i wouldnt take.i dont think its a bad mod in any sence. just be careful. i didnt mean to start a debate bout all this. was just askin a question. if i had a cai of any type i would put the bypass valve on even if i had to mod the pretty intake.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  12. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

lol, IM not trying to debate either ;)

LIke i said it is something that each person has to decide for themselves...
    as for the hole on the 04-05 models when you get down and look at it the black fender well is acctually abouve this... any rain that goes through that comes out under the fenderwell and straight at the tire

As for the roads flooding under high amounts of rain.... like tonight... i choose to risk it... worse case senario i slow down and cross over the yellow lines to get around.. if that wont work i turn around a find another way home(ok, so on the interstate this wont work, so i sit and wait. BUt again thats if i come across a puddle that is 10 inches deep)....

i measured my intakes from the ground and i have about 10 3/4 inch before the bottom of the filter.... i think that should be enought o get me through most puddles....

I dont argue that in extreme rain (ie tonight) you should be very catious if you have a CAI...i encountered a few puddles that i slowed down for just to be on the safe side.... but how often do we have rain this bad....

Ill say it once again... "It's a choice that EACH driver must make for his OWN driving situations"

13. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

it doesent bother me to have to slow down and be carefull in heavy rain like tonight ... when it rains this hard all of us aughta slow down anyway...

as for traffic on small roads fuck them and on the interstate as you guys encountered .... well fuck them too... the bastages cant drive when it isnt raining why are they always in a hurry when it rains so hard you cant see out the windsheild :rolleyes:

14. mckenzietj

mckenzietj Member

I have been working on cars professionally for 12 years and have had 2 cars that were hydro-locked that likeley would not have been without the CAI. One was a '92 Mustang GT, slid off of the road into a soggy ditch, bent rod and broken piston. The other a Civic SI, went through standing water after a storm and locked 'er up. So CAI's in my opinion are as safe for the engine as the driver of the car is, which is why I use an AEM short ram.

15. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

today's not a good day for one

16. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I took off my cold air intake last week on my s2k, and will get a short ram sometime in the future. Hydrolock is a scary thought, especially with my CAI being less than 1' off of the ground.

The stock box is really quiet, but I need to keep it on if I am to keep in the SCCA A-stock category. I figure that a short ram will be easy enough to swap out quickly, unlike the CAI, which requires removing the bumper and plastic under-panels.

I hope no one had troubles with hydrolock last week. I read of a few recent cases on the s2k boards.

I am thinking about getting the k&n one similar to the typhoon short ram one my wife put in her sti, with the cold box.

--
    Brian

17. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

Exactly 12 years + 2 cars thats a pretty safe ratio to mee..
    and in both of those cases they were stupid.. one crashed..... and the other drove a civic.... prolly a dumbarss... :wiggle:

anyway.... i agree with your staement of it is as safe for the car as the driver... "if you know what your doing youll be fine if not.... your prolly gonna screw something up leave it alone"

:wavey: to all the civic drivers out htere.... :keke:

18. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

ive had mine for over 2.5 years and have had no problems..i also lived in Florida for most of that time and through hurricane weather and tons of rain have had no problem what so ever

19. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

hey if you have an Injen CAI.....do you have replace the filter?....or is there a refresh kit of some kind...if so how often.......not really sure about the whole deal because scott THE MAN from SOG put mine in!!

20. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

you can recharge it with the k&n recharge kit.... and it has a certin time periodin the K&N instructions... but treally there is no need unless the filter is completly dirty fron the outside all the way to the inside....

the K&N instructions say that it is acctually better to have a lil dirt on the outside of the filter????... i dontknow why it is just what it says

21. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

i'm just want to inquire because i never see it.....i mean do i have to take off the fender to axcess the filter?

22. oucatch21

oucatch21 Member

you have to pull back the inner fender ....it shouldnt take more than about five min. to get the filter off ... then you gotta clean and put it back on

23. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

good looks.....thanks..like i said didn't install it so...didn't want to sound like a dumb ass

24. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i had my injen CAI put on a while back. i went through some pretty deep puddles during those heavy rains... nothing happend but i tend to keep momentum and lower my gear/throttle through deeper standing water by habit(on roads i know well).

i'm seriously considering the valve add-on, or taking a hacksaw and shortening the intake to a length i think is safer. would this affect the sensor attached to the pipe? i dunno. let me know if you know something i don't. i don't think it should though. i don't give a shit about how it looks... i just painted it with undercoat to quiet it down a bit.

shortrams in the engine bay... defeat the purpose entirely unless you add intake ports to cool the engine bay further (the scoop doesn't really do this for you if there's a bellows attached to it). otherwise you're sucking hot air.

as far as getting to the filter, you don't need to take anything but a few snap screws off of a section of the underbody (er, fender). pinch it and pull it down... it'll give you enough room to get your arm, a rachet (8mm) and the filter element in and out. if you would like picts i can take some sometime... because injen's instructions are fucking nuts.

N-Y_WAYS just my .02