Coming Soon: FP20g + meth

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by xnoodlesx, Jan 30, 2006.

1. xnoodlesx

xnoodlesx recovering meth addict

Coming Soon: FP20g + meth -- UPDATED!!!! Turbo coming Friday!

I recently had the "Snow Performance" methanol kit added to the basic Stage 2 w/ ecutek tune. The results were definately pretty impressive for a stock turbo. 330whp & 377wtq

I thought that this would keep me happy for a while, but no... TopSpeed of course had a killer deal on turbos and I couldn't resist. SS has made some VERY nice numbers (400+whp / 436+wtq) with basically the exact mods I have, only difference is a larger TMIC, higher flowing injectors, and a 20g of course.

I have discussed with both SS and Doug about the possibility of using stock injectors with meth since injector duty cycles are in the 60% range on 720cc injectors. They both think that it could work and would like to give it a try. I am going to take this challenge and see what numbers I can get. I will continue to update this thread as things begin to happen. I Expect to have the 20g arrive any day this week. :)

Discussion on this is welcomed. duh.

p.s. any help installing this baby when it comes in would be much appreciated. BrianGT and I are going to try and tackle it, but if anyone with experience doing a turbo swap would like to help, that would be MOST appreciated... free dinner on me. ;-)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  2. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

free dinner at Chipolte? ;)

I think that it is an excellent idea, and can't wait to see how it turns out. I like the idea of minimal mods to get to the desired goal. Will be nice to see how well it works without the expensive addons such as 3" inlet, injectors, fmic and inlet tube. I think that the stock part should work fine, but we will see :)

--
    Brian

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

sounds interesting... if i'm available during the install, i will definitely swing by and lend a hand

4. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

if i'm free i'll help ya out

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I was excited to hear about this when you were talking about the idea this weekend. I definately think its the right direction to go, and Im curious to see how far stock can take you.

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Hmm, I may not need those $$$ injectors...

7. xnoodlesx

Exactly. Meth changes everything.

Stock injectors: fuel is leaned way out for added methanol
    Stock TMIC: charged air is colder with methanol
    Stock turbo inlet hose: worked fine for the SS tune

We will see soon. Thinking budget "400+whp" here. :)

8. xnoodlesx

I think stockers will barely make it on a 20g and meth. Now a GT30R...
    That might be pushing it. :) Who knows, this is all new territory.

9. Alex

I know, its 100% :naughty:

10. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Let me know if you need help with the install!

As in when where :p

11. xnoodlesx

Turbo will be here Friday! What would be a good night for you guys to get together and put this bad boy in his new home?

Friday the 10th?
    After Dyno day? (11th)
    Sunday the 12th?

Any day is fine with me. Can't wait! Score.

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

friday: helping married05gt move
    saturday: got plans
    sunday: possibility

13. xnoodlesx

Ok! So here is the deal. :)

This SUNDAY the 12th, starting around 10-11ish am, at BrianGT's house. He has been kind enough to offer his place and tools to get the job done. Not sure how long this should take, but if we have enough knowledge and people it should go by rather quickly.

Again, anyone who has experience with turbo swaps will certainly be MOST welcomed. :)

You can PM me or BrianGT for directions to his house if needed.

Let me know who can make it.

14. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

If anyone needs motivation to come out to my place and help, I have a fresh keg of Heineken on tap :beer:

--
    Brian

15. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Liquid Motivation :p

16. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Can't say that I've done a turbo swap, but I am interested in helping as I hope to be doing a similar swap myself sometime soon. If one of you will pm me Brian's address, I'll come by and offer any help I can.

17. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

i helped genya with his 20g ill come out if i can get away from the gf. which might be difficult if i go to the dyno day on sat ,but well see. the actual swap its self isnt very hard. i give it a 2 star of difficulty, out of 5. its just a lil time consuming.

18. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, I'm with JT on this one... swap isn't really difficult, just can be time consuming with minor hassles.

19. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

What makes it time consuming?

--
    Brian

20. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

it takes time to break all the dp and up bolts loose. and time being careful reconecting the oil and cooant lines with no striping. other than that nothing. brian you seem pretty good with tools i dont think it will take more than a hour or so with no major drawbacks. its not like your doin injectors like most people do, so that takes alot of time off.

btw now that meth is getting more main stream it's gonna change the way the world looks at turbo charged cars. mark my words. theres gonna be alot more sleepers out there!

21. Alex

Aint that the truth :sx:

22. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Yeah, the impact wrench should greatly help with the UP and DP bolts. Should be fun :)

Man.. I was amazed at how meth felt when I drove Stephen's stock turbo meth tune. I can't imagine what the 20g+meth will feel like.

--
    Brian

23. xnoodlesx

[​IMG]

20g came in the mail today, sittin right here actually. :) Everything should be ready to go. I have new gaskets for the hotside and a steel braided oil line. I am guessing that i'll just use the oil line gaskets off the stock turbo. Anyone recommend I do differently? The stock turbo only has 15k miles on it.

On another note. Since the downpipe will be removed, you guys think doing a ceramic coat with a wrap would be beneficial to keeping engine bay temps down, or improving anything else?

PM BrianGT for directions if you can make it. :)

See you guys at dyno day!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  24. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

yes i definately think that ceramic coating for your DP is worth your time.

25. jason

jason Member

I got my 18G in today too. I have installed everything on my car except the turbo. I need to come and see how its installed so I can do mine.

Anyone know where I can pick up Heat wrap from locally?

26. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Lawrenceville Auto Parts has thermotec in stock...

SS

27. jason

jason Member

Thanks Scott.

28. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Got the 20g in the car now :)

Here are some comparison pics to the stock turbo:
    [​IMG]

--
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  29. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

close-ups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--
    Brian

30. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

With turbo removed:
    [​IMG]

--
    Brian

31. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

32. Brian

Brian Active Member

Sorry I couldn't come help install the turbo. Amy ended up getting sick from standing out in the cold at the dyno day.

Driving impressions yet?

33. Alex

Sorry I missed the day...I was definately out for the count. Drew brought over some Red Dawn to milos and wham, we were all dead on Sunday. Congratulations! Glad to see its in, eager to see the results ;)

Dewd, me too! My throat is completely hoarse.

34. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

He can't drive it hard until it is tuned, a week from today.

--
    Brian

35. xnoodlesx

You guys are welcomed to come by and see what she makes at TopSpeed.

Appointment is Monday the 20th @ 1pm.

36. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i'd love to come check it out... however i am busy all day monday :(
    enjoy breaking 400 :)

37. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I may have to swing by and check the beast out

38. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

hell yeah! I will try to be there and we can have a party if you break 400hp!

did the computations, and this looks like the cheapest way to get 400hp... 400hp for 4k total of engine mods: tbe, meth, ecutek, avc-r and 20g.

--
    Brian

39. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

It *MIGHT* be doable without the AVC-R even. I've got one running SURPRISINGLY consistently with the EBCS on a TXS TMIC.

SS

40. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

yeah, but I drove the car before and after he installed the avc-r, and with the gear specific boost, 1st and 2nd really seemed to kick more ass, which should work good for autocross. :)

I don't see why the TXS TMIC is beneficial if you are running meth? Did they fix the STi fitment issues with it yet?

--
    Brian

41. xnoodlesx

The MAIN reason for the AVC-R was to get (close to) full boost in the 1-2-3rd gears. It works VERY well. But yes, hopefully the AVC-R will benefit in other ways as well.

42. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

Tomorrows the day?! AH the future of my STi lies on your results man. Good luck!

43. xnoodlesx

http://tastybeef.com/stephen/20g-dyno.jpg

Interesting indeed. Stock Injectors worked out fine. A/F was still 10.0 with the stock injectors running at 92% IDC. Turns out that the stock TMIC was the limiting factor here. It apparently does not flow well enough to get the BIGGER numbers like SS had on the TXS TMIC. STILL, I cannot complain. 400wtq is way insane and the power STAYS until redline. So yes, I am done for now. :) Who knows, maybe a FMIC in the summer when it gets retarded hot outside.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  44. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

resized version:
    [​IMG]

--
    Brian

45. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

30 lb-ft and 40 hp increase... very nice indeed

46. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

awesome numbers man! i was textin brian from school to get the low down on how it was goin lol! congrats!

47. xnoodlesx

FYI: Did some data logging last night with TARI and turns out that the stock injectors are actually maxing out around 92% IDC.

Honestly, I don't remember what gear I did this pull in. (3rd or 4th)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  48. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

whats in each column?
    also whats the max duty cycle? 100% or more? i remember reading that the injector spray cycles overlap leading to >100% duty cucles... not sure if this is then normalized to 100%

49. xnoodlesx

Updated picture. :)

50. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i just got off the phone with SS... he said 92% with stock injectors is fine... the logs do read well over 100% (i think close to 120%)... for stock turbo + turbo back + ecutek STis, he said he tries to keep them under 95%...

so basically if the car is running good and u have no CEL, then u should be fine