Comp does not boot, beeps continously.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Phenoix BIOS.

Based on what Ive been reading on the bios error codes, either my PS is dead or mobo is fried.

Well, the power-on LED of the board lights up when power is connected.

What Ive done to rule out other problems?

Removed everything, powered on same beeping.
    Reseated everything, powered on same beeping.
    Removed everything except ram, powered on same beeping.
    Removed ram, left everything, powered on same beeping.
    Removed video, left everything, powered on same beeping.
    Removed CPU, replaced thermal coating, reset CPU, powered on same beeping.
    All fans spin, HD cycles.

Computer displays no video.

Case is dusty, but clean and has been blown out.

I will try alt video, ram and PS. If these do not fix the problem, I am saying the mobo is at fault and in need of replacement.

Thoughts?

2. blink

blink Member

I would guess Mobo, but would like to see the results after replacing the video card.. i doubt its the ps, due to the mobo getting power.. worst case scenario, CPU, yeah makes the same beeping without, but CPUs are harder to test.. seen similiar results from bad CPUs.

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

My bet is on ram or video... unless the mb is shorting out against the case somewhere.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i bet its gremlins

5. Well, how many beeps is it? Your computer tells your problem via beeps

6. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

ditto :keke:

7. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

yea, check your mobo's manual and it should tell you what the system beeps mean, might be bad ram, who knows.

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

I say kick it a few times

9. Alex

Continuous, I referenced the manual and it read "Power Supply or System Board."

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

DUDE! You shoulda bought a Dell!! :p

11. blink

blink Member

its the board

12. Alex

Orly, I did, and it broke. IBDellisCrapLemonProduct /mypc ftl

13. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i had the same problem.

STRONG likelyhood its bad/cheap ram. Typically when a board goes bad you don't even get beeps... and when Phoenix beeps like that, its usually consistant with unusable memory...

take the ram and stick it in another machine to eliminate that posibility

14. Alex

Well the ram has been working for the last ~year and a half or so. Its HQ Geil ram.

15. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

damn must have been a lemon, i've got three running 4yrs, 3yrs and 1.5yrs... not so much as a burp.

of course, they're not alienware :p but overhead and all that...

i've seen two instances (HD and CPU) where shit dies after being blown out with a duster just a fyi.

maybe this will help... in case you haven't seen this already (original link: http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/2/ )

PHOENIX BEEP CODES
    Beep sequence What's Wrong
    1-1-3 Your computer can't read the configuration information stored in the CMOS. Replace the motherboard.
    1-1-4 Your BIOS needs to be replaced.
    1-2-1 You have a bad timer chip on the motherboard; you need a new motherboard.
    1-2-2 The motherboard is bad.
    1-2-3 The motherboard is bad.
    1-3-1 The motherboard is bad.
    1-3-3 Same as AMI BIOS 2 beeps. Replace the motherboard.
    1-3-4 The motherboard is bad.
    1-4-1 The motherboard is bad.
    1-4-2 Some of your memory is bad.
    2-_-_ Any combination of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take your computer to the shop.
    3-1-_ One of the chips on your motherboard is broken. You'll likely need to get another board.
    3-2-4 Same as AMI BIOS 6 beeps: keyboard controller failure.
    3-3-4 Your computer can't find the video card. Is it there? If so, try swapping it with another one and see if it works.
    3-4-_ Your video card isn't working. You'll need to replace it.
    4-2-1 There's a bad chip on the motherboard. You need to buy another board.
    4-2-2 First, check the keyboard for problems. If there are none, you have a bad motherboard.
    4-2-3 See 4-2-2.
    4-2-4 One of the cards is bad. Try taking out the cards one by one to isolate the culprit. Replace the bad one. The last possibility is to buy another motherboard.
    4-3-1 Replace the motherboard.
    4-3-2 See 4-3-1
    4-3-3 See 4-3-1
    4-3-4 Time of day clock failure. Try running the setup program that comes with the computer, and check the date and time. If that doesn't work, replace the battery. If that doesn't work, replace the power supply. You may have to replace the motherboard, but that is rare.
    4-4-1 Your serial ports are acting up. Reseat or replace the I/O card. If the I/O is on the motherboard itself, disable it with a jumper (consult your manual to know which one) and then add an I/O card.
    4-4-2 See 4-4-1
    4-4-3 Your math coprocessor is malfunctioning. Run a test program to double-check it. If it is indeed bad, disable or replace it. Disabling is fine, because you probably don't need it anyway.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  16. Alex

Thanks Jimmi, the problem I had with that site (found it before I posted) is that no where does it say continuous on and off beeping, unless I am interpretting the codes all wrong.

Beep, Pause, Beep...I understand that this occurs only once?

17. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i figured you had already, i would just email phoenix (http://www.phoenix.com/) at this point (unless you get off on trouble shooting into the wee hours, i used to... too old for that now lol)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  18. blink

blink Member

well the beep is a code, its just a generic code, used by all manufactures of motherboards.. a very broad range of things might have gone bad.. If you need to sub out some parts let me know, ill be free and bored all day, and if your close come on over.. I stll say the board.. maybe its the video card.. Actually who makes the board? Have you updated the bios? I know updating bios' can cause some strange issues, as in not booting up.