Compressor?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by seeingred, Jul 16, 2014.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

Hi - was at the shop doing an oil change today and the guy mentioned that I may be needing a new compressor after I told them that I here clicks everytime the AC kicks on. Not sure if this is the right place to post but wanted to get an opinion about how much part and labor typically costs or what you've seen.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

2. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The AC clutch goes bad a lot. I think I'm on #2.

3. seeingred

seeingred Member

compressor

that's exactly what they said, ac clutch. do you replace the whole compressor for that? how much did it cost you last time? Also, where did you take it to get it fixed?

4. Subaru sells the complete clutch compressor.I think thats mostly what you will find.I checked the auto parts store.$380 for a new compressor with clutch.Was gonna wait until it quits and then do it myself.Easy repair except for the freon part.

5. jp233

jp233 Member

could be the clutch yes. You can replace those separately from the whole compressor, although I've never done it on a Subaru. Which is something to say that in several hundred thousands of miles on various subaru's over the past 30 years, never had to do one. But my Chevy's ? All of them.

Same with fuel pumps... but I digress....

Manual states the clearance should be 0.45+-0.15 mm (0.0177 +- 0.0059 in) all the way around the circumference between the drive plate and pulley. To check it, you unplug the compressor and apply 12v + to terminal No. 1 of the connector, and the - terminal to the other. The magnet clutch should engage, and then check the clearance.

Also could be something electrical. Check all the connections in the AC system, at least the easy plugs to get to. including the one for the AC fan, I had one go bad a while back on an older subaru, AC would work fine when it ran but sometimes it would click-click-click rapidly. Ended up being a burned/damaged plug where the harness on the bottom side of the radiator, plugs into the AC fan.

All this being said, that you're sure you don't have a leak in the fridge, and it's getting close to being on the edge that the system tries to trip on/off because its teetering right on the edge of where it's supposed to be, pressure wise.

I got a great deal locally on a compressor for a Chevy a few years back, from Marietta Radiator.

http://www.mariettaradiator.com/

More recently, I bought a whole compressor kit from this seller on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/discountacparts?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

Anytime you swap the compressor, you need to at the very least change the accumulator/drier. Most compressors won't honor a warranty unless that's been done, and with documentation to prove it (prove that the drier was changed, and that vaccuum was pulled down on the system to remove any contaminants). Also its a good idea to change the orifice tube (in subaru's there isn't one..... a filter like in a lot of other vehicles), there's an expansion valve that is a weird little gadget, don't think I've heard of one of those go wrong though. Just make sure to get the oil level in the system correct, that is crucial.

6. jp233

jp233 Member

oh yeah, the very first thing you can do is clean up the clutch. I normally take the AC belt off first so the crud doesn't get on them. I use compressed air to blow out the clutch area, and I hold a shop-vac up to it close by to try and gather the dust. it's bad dust, don't want to inhale it. once you blow all the dust out, wipe down the surrounding area ( plastic cam covers, pulleys, etc)

if it just clicks every now and then, but the system works fine and you do not have a refridgerant problem.... if it were me I'd clean the clutch, check the clutch clearance, and if it's teetering on the edge of the clearance range, I'd just run it until it fails altogether. Then replace the compressor. Or, I'd look around to see if a clutch kit is sold seperately. Most auto parts stores rent you free the clutch holder and separator tool (once again, Chebbies, never done a Scoob).