computer guys, help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

Ok so here's the deal guys. I have a 2003ish toshiba laptop that I need someone to look at. I have an innate fear that it has the same problem my Mac does, a bum hard drive. Basically its doing the exact same things my Mac did before it crapped out on me and apple has told me I need a new hard drive. Basically, the computer doesn't know its plugged in to the wall and therefore doesn't charge the battery. Sometimes I can see it across the room randomly realize its plugged in, start to charge and then stop suddenly. If I can ever actually get it turned on then it will never charge the battery while running. If it randomly decides to even work normally for me it will randomly shut off without warning no matter what I might be doing. Anyways, if any of you computer savvy guys could look at it and give me an official diagnosis I would be forever in your debt. In fact if you know anything about macs I will let you look at my ibook as well. I have found a new hard drive for that for 120 shipped and if anyone can install it for me really cheap and get leopard installed on it that would be awesome too. Anyways, post up or PM me. Thanks in advance!!

2. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I have a Toshiba from about that time period. When the power cord / supply went bad I had the exact same symptoms, and now that I have that fixed the hard drive died. I am no computer expert, but my roommate is, and these were his diagnosis'.

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

it sounds like a power supply issue not a hard drive issue.

4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Most likely power supply from your symptoms, but it could also be a battery issue. If the battery dies in some older laptops, the laptop won't run properly.

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

I thought power supply too. But like I said when it was unplugged and fully charged it would still randomly shut off. So it may be like you said that it died one day and now doesn't run right at all. If someone wants to take it home with them and run some tests I would be very appreciative.

6. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Even though you think the battery is fully charged, it may not be and thus shutting it down.

I'd pick up a new power cord, then take the battery out and see how it works then.

7. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

long shot, but ensure that all the tiny screws on the underside of the laptop are tightened. I have a Toshiba Satellite and after moving the laptop around so much, they loosen. Those screws help hold the battery/power supply cover, i believe.

8. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Sounds like a power cable/ battery issue

9. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

jesus...i just gave you a g5...what more do you want? haha and no i will not work on your computer!

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

I'm just gonna buy a new hard drive for the ibook when we buy one for the g5. They're only 120 bucks and we can install them ourselves. Just need the operating systems.

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Like everyone has said, it sounds like a Power Supply/battery problem. Get a new power supply and run it without the battery to see if it works ok, If so, put the battery in and see if it works ok...If it shuts off again with the battery in, replace the battery as well.

12. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i've just replaced the HD in my Mac Mini and it was way easier then i thought it'd be. the ibook is just as easy to work on. just get the largest ATA drive you can afford. you'll get a great price at a local Fry's or Micro Center. i was told that the mini won't see anything larger then a 160GB, but that's horse shit. i put in a 7200RPM 250GB HD ($120 maybe or so) it works perfect. i wish i'd gotten the 320GB 5400 RPM drive.

here's just one of many how-to's out there.
    http://www.pcworld.150m.com/installibookhd.htm
    as far as the G5 goes, it's plug and play, zero issues. The OS, well we can talk about that... ;) i have 10.5, whatever large feline that maybe.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008