Considering RCE Springs

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by rexrocker, Sep 21, 2006.

1. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Well, I've been starting my springs search ever since I traded up to the STi. The typical Pinks are on the list, as well as the lostinthewoods' recommended Espelir GTs. I've also been considering the RaceComp Engineering springs which are new to the market...dubbed RCE Springs, they're getting a bunch of buzz on IWSTI and the initial batches are hitting the streets as we speak.

They claim to be 25% stiffer than Pinks and have been described as a "Pinks Sport", designed to combine all the goods of the Pinks while making up for any of the shortcomings of the Pinks, Prodrives, Swifts, etc. The spring rates have yet to be posted and won't until the hit the RCE website for public sale. The springs provide a nice drop, 23mm F / 20mm R, and while stiffer are said to ride like the stock suspension. Interesting...

More info here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59067

Once I see some reviews from the IWSTI guys, these may be on the STi soon. :eek:hnoes:

2. red98lude

red98lude Member

They sound nice. I was looking at getting a set with the group-n tops and ohlins shocks. I'd like to seem some more feedback on the springs before I order them. Have you looked at the Swift springs at all?

3. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1 on the group-n tops, but I think I'll stay stock on the shocks for now. Agreed on the feedback...I thinking about 6 months. I haven't checked out the Swifts...have to look into those as well.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'm quite the regular IWSTi guru, I prob. browse there as often as wrxatl and they're getting quite the buzz.

Miles will recommend Swifts to you and Ive got a good buddy on iwsti who tracks his car constantly and absolutely loves the swifts. If you get in now on RCE springs, you'll have a relatively early shipment (perhaps oct). I know there was a set to to go out in Sept, but I am not sure if that made it to market or not yet.

I had a set of whiteline flatouts on my sti way back when and I enjoyed them thoroughly, I also had a set of the grp-n top hats and enjoyed those as well. Once I get around to it, I'll add a few to our reviews section :)

5. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

the only problem I have with the REC springs are the cost of supporting mods that's needed in order for them to perform nicely. With that said the part list may include non-lowering camber plates, group-n mounts and the final cost will be close to a $1000. With that kind of money spent, i would rather spend just a tad extra for a set of Tein Flex with pillowmounts or SS-P coilovers so that the true track/road race/auto-x can get a corner balance and have more adjustability.

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I agree with blindfold, we discussed this the other day at SOG by the time you get springs, rear mounts, camber plates, etc... you are very close to a set of coil overs.

Matt

7. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Please do! That would be great.

Interesting...I never even considered coilovers for this car, simply because I am not ready to sacrifice every day road comfort for the jarring ride of coilovers. With the '03, I had it on the track 2 times with SRDEC...beyond that it never saw a track or autocross. With the STi, this may change, but I have no plans right now to become a track junkie/weekend warrior. I've been in 2 cars with coilovers, a WRX on the street and an STi on the track, so before I rule out the coilovers, I think a street ride in a car with coilovers is a next step...

Thanks for the comments guys!

8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Try Tein Flexs on full soft on the street, it rides almost stock, tein ssp's ride better than stock but youre not going to get the stiffness out of them that you get out of the flexs.

Matt

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i have the flex's on my car... i'll take u for a ride if ur interested

10. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Definitely interested Milo...maybe Saturday at some point? Or whenever, I'm always around.

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

sounds good

12. Alex

13. Alex

Some new info out on the RCE springs this weekend.

Front Before
    [​IMG]

Front After
    [​IMG]

Rear Before
    [​IMG]

Rear After
    [​IMG]

14. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Ha, you beat me to it! Good stuff...read it over this weekend...still feeling things out. Alex, thanks for posting the Flatouts review! Going to go check it out now...

15. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I read it as well but I would wait for more reviews since plenty of people jumped on the bandwagon to buy these springs so we shall see if they are what they hyped it up to be

the biggest problem i see is that the front drop is still quite a bit more than rear, it looks uneven. The installer mentioned that they will settle but I would imagine all 4 spings will settle about the same amount so they will still be uneven.

16. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

17. Alex

Have you read Andrew's post yet Clay?

18. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Funny enough, I was just reading them. :D I read both his initial thoughts and the review after the AutoX...for those interested, check this thread (posts 374 and 395)...sold on these right now, but not ready to buy right now. Some more feedback from batch 1 and 2 will be helpful in making my final decision. AND I'm still reading up on the Swifts, as well. So, we'll see... :wiggle:

19. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I ran on the Swifts this past weekend at Roebling. WOW, this '05 had the best non-coilover setup I've had yet. ALK, Big Bars (Whiteline) GRP-Ns, Swifts, and a killer alignment. It was "just over half-way to coil-overs."

SS

20. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Sounds tasty SS. :dirty: I am definitately throwing the big bars on the car and having an SS performance alignment...what's your take on the RCE's thus far based on the reviews on IWSTI?

21. Alex

I am so debating going back to a spring setup. There's larger plans in the works for the sti.

22. Alex

So clay, any updates?

23. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Do tell! :naughty:

As far as the RCE's go, I've gotten a quote for the springs and top hats. :D Still taking my time...reading up on Swifts at the current moment. I will keep you posted. ;)

24. Alex

What did they quote you on the springs? Are you talking about the plates or grp-n top hats?

I will be calling Myles this week to see if I can work out a little deal for us as well so I'll keep you posted. There's been some more recent posts out about the RCEs, after a few auto-x's and such...seen them yet?

25. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Myles quoted me a total of 649.00 shipped for springs, and Group-N front and rear top hats. I believe the springs are $349.

Keep me posted if you get something worked out.

Yes, checked out the recent posts...interesting. I keep coming back to the RCEs. I did some reading up on the Swifts. SS loves them, as he stated in this thread. As do others, they're "time tested" and proven. Still no spring rates posted for the RCE's, that I've seen yet. Myles continues to tout that the RCE's are 25% stiffer, yet overall more comfortable than the Swifts on the street. I'm liking what I hear...I guess I still having a problem pulling the trigger because they are so new. Sounds silly, I'm sure...but, I don't want to be unhappy at 20000 miles.

Decisions, decisions, argh! Anyways, let me know if you get something worked out with a GB or something.

26. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

I have been thinking about the RCE's as well after this weekend. I would definitely like to get a higher spring rate than the Eibach Pro's.

Alex are you planning on getting rid of your coilovers?:naughty:

27. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

More reviews for those interested and not on IWSTI...

(Taken from http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showpost.php?p=911709&postcount=505)

28. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

And follow up from Myles,

(Taken from http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showpost.php?p=912466&postcount=508)

29. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

:wiggle:

30. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I really love the Ohlins on my wife's car, and they work really good even with the stock springs and hats. The bounciness is gone on the highway, and they perform really good for autoX. The only other suspension mod on the car is the 32mm Strano FSB, and with the Ohlins setup to work with the race tires, the car was really good. The car was so neutral that I was suprised how easy it was to rotate. I had a little drift session my first run, when I approached the car the same way I used to drive it :)

--
    Brian

31. Alex

Clay we might as well combine our two threads at this point. Like I said in my thread, I'll sell you my group-n tophats in the front if you're interested just PM me.

Clemson, yes, but you'll need to get the 02-04 lower bracket since after the hubswap I moved up to the 05-06 STi bracket. If you're seriously interested, I'll see if I can get that back for ya.

Wow, I missed that write up. The first guy's post about the autox is obvious. If you've ever been to an autox at GCF you see this non-stop. Milo and I experienced bumpage like no mans business up there. Its enough to unsettle the car and make you wait a minute to settle it down. I 100% agree with Myles about the stock shocks. My "test road" is certain portion of 10th street (which they've now repaved) and a certain portion of W. Peachtree. When I was on the stock shocks I actually avoided 10th because of how unbelievable uncomfortable it was. Since they've repaved it I havent had a chance on the JICs to drive it. Ive driven the JICs on w. peachtree and its definately an improvement but meh...

Also, in case you missed this:
    With that said, I suppose I'll be ordering a set of the RCE springs, camberplates and using a stock setup until I decide to either plunge on the Ohlins or decide to leave it that way. Its important to note that if you do go with the RCE springs, you want the camber plates that raise the front a bit, otherwise you're running close to bumpstopage. Now, the 05s have the benefit if a bit longer travel in the shock than the 04s. I had to cut both of my bumpstops when I was running the whiteline springs to be on the safe side.

Anyways, now that my week is finally slowing down I can give him a call and see what I can do for us ;)

I mean come on, look how pretty these things are :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've also added a black annodized coating instead of gold to satisfy your inner ricer.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2006
  32. Alex

33. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Definitely combine the threads! Great idea.

The springs and camber plates are very sexy. :dirty: So you think I'll be in bump stop land with the Group-N fronts?!??! Hmmm...let me know what he does for you on the camber plates.

My inner rice isn't picky...kinda like the gold. :D

Keep me posted Alex.

34. Alex

I really dont think you'll need to cut them on the 05's.

35. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

^ Fixed it for you. ;) Me != 05. :D

Good deal...keep me posted. Either PM me or hit me up on IM when you hear something.

36. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

37. Alex

Nice, the drop doesnt concern me anymore considering Ive been through a couple springs and height adjustable coilovers. As long as the suspension geometry is correct with the height of the spring and the dampening of the strut I am pleased. And, it looks like RCE accomplished that.

Anyways, I will be calling Myles here in a few minutes :)

38. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

So, what's the verdict my friend?!?!?!? :eek:hnoes:

39. Alex

Spoke to him around lunchtime today. The sale didnt help that he's not familar with WRXatlanta. Basically, we're not going to get any slack on the pricing. However, I was talking to him, on SS's behalf about a distribution down here as they have no one down here selling RCE components.

I will call them back today, and I'll see if perhaps they'll cut a few % off if we order 2 sets of springs and 2 sets of plates together. You do want the non-lowering plates correct?

alex

40. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

I spoke with Myles online yesterday and I think the Group-N's will suffice for me...unless the deal on the RCE plates is too good to pass up.

41. Alex

Okies, well like I said, I have the front tophats in the garage if you're interested.

42. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yeah I want to go RCE springs with Group N tops. But I need struts. I really don't want to go Koni. Waiting for someone to relase and aftermarket strut(KYB or something...Ohlins too pricy)

Edit: Latest KYB catalog still does not list a strut for the 04+ WRX. I am thinking coilover now and be done with it. Subaru does have a SPT suspension setup for the 04+. Its the JDM "Tarmac/Arai" setup. Its $1500 though and you still need top hats.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  43. Alex

You have to mod the strut iirc to fit on any year 04+. I just ordered the RCE springs yesterday, and will be ordering the camber plates soon.

Speaking of, here's a teaser pic of the new color (*cough* ohlins *cough*)
    [​IMG]

44. longfury

longfury Active Member

Myles at RCE says they will have a 04+ strut soon that does not cost $2000 a set(like the Ohlins do).

45. Alex

did they list a brand ?

46. longfury

longfury Active Member

It has been mentioned in NASIOC threads and in a PM to me. They are working with a strut manufacturer to make a strut for them.

47. Alex

Koni, Tokico, Blistein, H&R, Ohlin...?

48. longfury

longfury Active Member

They are being secrative. In otherwords...they are not telling.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  49. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Congrats man!!! :bigthumb: Hoping to order mine soon...

50. Alex

Whent hey get here, we have to go for a ride :wiggle: