cop procedure question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Settle an arguement for me.

When pulled over for a traffic stop, in georgia, do you have a legal obligation to tell the cop up front if you're armed? If so, I'd like the code to lookup.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I don't necessarily know if it is code to do so, but it is always a good thing. It will help put the officer at ease, and I have heard stories of people being let off of tickets after talking guns with the officer

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

No you do not. Atlanta PD gave me shit for mine.
    I would only tell him if you need to get access to your paperwork and he might see it. This is largely for your own safety.

If you have a permit and want to tell him, just show it to him with your license. He'll get the hint

4. From what I recall, if you are pulled over for a minor traffic stop, and you are consealed, you are not obligated to tell the officer. However it is considered a courtsey to the officer to notify them that you are carring a weapon in the car. FYI, if you dont tell the officer, and lets say its sitting in your backseat or floorboard and the officer see it with out you telling him, you will have a gun pointed in your face.

Your section code you are looking for is 16-11-129

In the state of georgia you are allowed to carry a weapon in your vehicle with out a carry license. Your car is considered an extention of your house.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

and I would like to add, you can carry anywhere in your vehicle, concealed or openly.

6. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

lets tweak this now.

Say your on motorcycle. Does the law say the same thing about anywhere on the bike?

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the law defines it as "motor vehicle". take that as you will. it is a grey area

if in doubt, call up your local law enforcement office or probate court

8. I called my buddy at Forsyth County, motor vehicle applies to anything you have to get registration for. So a bike, yes you can carry on the bike, I was worned though, dont be mistaken, if you are carrying the pistol in your jacket or waist band while on the bike, its illegal, like Nicad said, grey area.

9. Deke

Deke Active Member

Lol, I just imagined riding a hog with a shotgun holster mounted to the side.