Could have been much worse, but still senseless

Discussion in 'General Community' started by bluedestiny, Oct 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Hell of a day at sea; I saw this right after it happened.
    So needless to say, I am looking for suggestions on the right body shop for this damage [the other driver's insurance [Progressive] is responsible].

F350 duallie commercial auto transport driver was standing there with gearshift in hand saying it just came off while backing out; said he couldn'get to brake in time and jumped clear.

Just before, I had a moment thinking it was just a close call and thats just before i saw headlight was smashed, fender bulged, hood bent and bumper gouged and popped; and could see the car was pushed four feet back on impact. At least light housing is partially intact and all bulbs light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

That sucks. Luckily damage doesn't look too bad. I have no suggestions because both shops I went to kind of sucked.

3. FACE

FACE Active Member

hey to hear it buddy glad it wasn't worse!

4. KGraska

KGraska Member

This sucks...sorry Chip. Looks like all you need is a headlight and bumper respray through. Shouldn't be too bad.

Go see my guy at VP Automotive in Kennesaw...he could fix that spot you were telling me about on the back bumper at the same time.

5. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Looks like the hood got banged up as well. Get rid of all the hood chips as well.

6. liltoua

liltoua Member

Sorry to hear about that. How did this accident even come about LOL

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

Magnum in Kennesaw made my basically totaled WRX look brand new. they do work on lamborghini, ferrari, bmw, mercedes, and everything down to your basic econobox

8. bluedestiny

F350 duallie commercial auto transport driver was standing there with gearshift in hand saying it just came off while backing out; said he couldn'get to brake in time and jumped clear.

Just before, I had a moment thinking it was just a close call and thats just before i saw headlight was smashed, fender bulged, hood bent and bumper gouged and popped; and could see the car was pushed four feet back on impact. At least light housing is partially intact and all bulbs light.

thanks everbody for the suggestions; up until this it only had a few dings:(

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

oh man, really sorry to see this chip :(

I had my camry's bumper redone at Magnum when I got rear ended on the connector. Matched the flake pretty darn close to perfect, and was a pretty fast turn around (granted I'm pretty sure they just got a new bumper and clips because my styrofoam and bumper beam were still intact).

As you know my Subie is at Bryson's, I know it will get done right, they're just really busy.

10. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Sorry to see that chip!! Certainly to a car as well done as yours.

11. bluedestiny

Thanks, it would not have been possible in to have my setup without the parts from your part-outs and those of others and help from our community on self install day.

12. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

It just had to hit one of the cleanest examples of the '05's in the country didn't it... ;(

13. bluedestiny

IMHO, yes. :wtc:

14. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

agreed, luckily it wasn't worse!!!

15. bluedestiny

Yes,
    A. it could have been one space over and probably the Duallie could have totaled it
    B. I could have been getting in it and gotten pinned under it on impact
    C. I could have preteneded to be superman and protect it with my body

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  16. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Also, I used my body as a shield on two bikes, a 4wheeler, but not the car yet. I have insurance on the car so I think i'll dodge that one as well lol.

The shifter came off in his hand? No parking brake? Still kinda confused at how it happened. Those trucks are SUPER heavy so it doesn't take much to get one rolling and it takes a lot to make it stop.

17. bluedestiny

I too have done that with my two carbon bikes, haha.

My question too, as the driver apparently jumped out, I guess in fear as opposed to just stepping on the brake, as bunch of people saw him try to stop it by trying to hold it back and were commenting on his actions - it still makes no sense in retrospect, as I only saw the end result, just the process.
    I'll say seeing an APD officer already calling in the accident with his car blocking it from behind, as I walked up was an unexpected yet pleasant surprise.

The latest is I also had a fine experience with Progressive authorizing repairs in 24hrs. and having VP Automotive previously responded to my inquiry yesterday as well, I dropped off my car this AM and was shortly picked up by Enterprise and provided a full size Chevy courtesy of Progressive a short time later. VP had a lot of nice work on display as well.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions on the shops

18. KGraska

KGraska Member

I ran by VP yesterday to drop off a bunch of cars from work and saw the Subi parked out front...it had a lot more damage than the pictures let on. Let me know how the car turns out, Vishal (owner of VP) is a good friend of mine. I told him he better take good care of you!

19. bluedestiny

Kevin, thanks much! I hear it should be ready by 11/4.

I believe I will be taking credit for the most un-inspiring ride tomorrow at the next Dinner Meet with the Chevy Malibu LTZ; I'll need to park it by itself.:eek:

20. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

If I make it (doubtful) it would be in a 2000 honda cr-v that requires a case of oil in-car everywhere you go in it. Upper control arm is broke, good stuff.
    I just miiiiight take the cake from you on that one lol

21. bluedestiny

LOL, it will be close, Ill be in the black Malibu LTZ after all, since I'll be taking the '80 to C&O Sunday

22. KGraska

KGraska Member

Look what I saw today....

[​IMG]

23. bluedestiny

Whoa, thanks for the update; I heard from Vishal that he was looking out for my interests and that he would make sure its perfect when its done.

24. bluedestiny

Just talked to Vishal and they are on track to complete the car for Wednesday the 6th :)

25. bluedestiny

Great repair and restore work by VP Automotive

I just picked up the car and the showroom quality of the repairs plus the 5 star detailing, by far exceeded my expectations :)

A very nice touch was the other headlight got polished to match the new one; looks identical quality.

Outside of the insurance repair I also got a great deal to restore the rear bumper that had paint damage by a careless motorist

Now its cleaner than it was before this all happened ;)

Each time come back to the car I find more perfection in the work that I had not noticed before; the attention to fixing entire panels and not just the damaged area, is impeccable; even pre-existing road rash at the underside of the bumper and the front lip is showroom quality.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  26. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

glad to hear it all came out great at the end of this ordeal. Can't wait to see you and the car at the next meet!

27. slowagon

slowagon New Member

Looking forward to stealing it when I get back from Russia. Good to know I'll be looking cooler than ever. :naughty:

28. bluedestiny

I'll guess I'll start calling you Takumi ;)

29. KGraska

KGraska Member

Glad you're happy with the quality of work. Congrats on getting your car back.

30. bluedestiny

Kevin,
    Many thanks for the lead:)