Cowboy Bebop

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by Deke, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Deke

Deke Active Member

So I just got finished watching the last episode (or session) of the TV series, and I must say I was pretty impressed. I'm generally not really a fan of anime. The few that I've tried to watch I've either found too trippy or too annoying. Cowboy Bebop, however, was definitely an exception. An aquaintance of mine was the one who turned me onto it. I love the setting of it, the space western sort of theme with handguns and generally good action. The animation was pretty good. And the soundtrack was great. I loved the incorporation of the blues and jazz music. With the exception of Ed (the seemingly mandatory annoying character for animes), I thought it was an excellent series.

Anyways, anyone else seen/like it?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Hmm, you could try watching Gungrave, imo it's not as deep as Cowboy Bebop but the action is pretty good.
    Oh and Full Metal Alchemist is really good if you haven't heard of that before.

I've watched a shitload of anime, i think i calculated it one day and it ended up being like 56,000 minutes total or something like that. Hit me up on aim if you want any more recommendations.

3. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I'd recommend my all time fav, Berserk. Bloody and Gorey, but very good.

4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I like the welsh corgis :)

5. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

there is a Bebop movie, Knockin on Heaven's Door

for other series' that havent been mentioned yet theres Death Note, Trigun, and Bleach.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I like the movie.

7. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Oh yea, I almost forgot, hahaha you gotta watch InitialD. :)

8. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

9. Meredith

Meredith Banned

try samurai champloo, brought to you by most of the people who brought you cowboy bebop

10. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha wow guys (and girl). I may have to check some of these out. Like I said, what I've seen I'm not a huge anime fan. Just to give an idea, if I were to create my ideal anime, it would be something set in a realish sort of environment (not too terribly futuristic, something like a big city feel maybe just a little in the future), good animation (I'm sorry but I just can't stand it when it looks like crap/peoples eyes turn into upside down "U"s), perferably no child characters (as children are almost always the most annoying portion of any anime that I have seen), and of course good action. Oh yeah and good story wouldn't hurt either.

Anything meet that criteria? :)

I remeber catching the tail end of some anime on comedy central a few years ago that seemed pretty cool. The animation was some of the best I have seen. It took place in sort of a blade runnerish sort of city scene. Any clue what that could have been?

12. jayj713

jayj713 Member

fansub.tv has a lot of anime too.

Dewey, what kind of anime do you want? like action, romance, comedy or what?

13. Deke

Deke Active Member

refer to post above, action :)

Honestly Cowboy Bebop was pretty ideal (with the exception of the Ed and the episode about the shrooms). Personally I'm not a fan of anime humor, I feel something is lost in translation.

PS, I know that I could be ruling out some good shows by my animation standards, I just can't stand that dragon ball z, pokemon look.

14. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Dunno how many people have heard of this but Fate/Stay Night is really good too. Came out last year so the animation is really good and the action is good too. A tad bit of romance in there though.

15. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

+1
    Berserk is awesome, most B&N have the manga which continue the series past what the original anime serialized...it's like the first episode but more badass.

16. Deke

Deke Active Member

:confused: english translation please :)

17. jayj713

jayj713 Member

"most Barnes and Nobles have the manga(comic) of berserk. and the manga goes farther than the the anime does (most manga do)."

18. Deke

Deke Active Member

haha ahhh, thank you.

19. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

When I was in high school a buddy of mine was obsessed with the bubble gum crises. and Akria..

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

trigun ftw

21. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Speaking of space cowboy anime, how can you guys not mention Outlaw Star? That was pretty cool too.

22. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

^^^ cause i forgot what it was called, all i could remember was that it was alot like bebop and they were lookin for the galactic layline or whatever

23. jayj713

jayj713 Member

uhh, I must say. Death Note is probably my favorite anime right now. Not all of it's out yet, i think only 17 are out, out of 37. Its amazing, i would recommend this to anyone. Everything is good about this anime, go get it! =D

24. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

LOVE bebop

the creator loves the music genre, so much so that he reportedly named each "session"(what jazz/music types do when they get together) after one of his favorite songs.

25. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yay, back to Bebop! I seriously have not been able to get the ending out of my head. The last two sessions were so good! Actually I loved the whole Spike/Vicious plot line. I wish there was more, but at the same time I feel it ended perfectly. And of course the "Real Folk Blues" music didn't hurt it :)

I just got all of the music from the show and have been enjoying listening through it.

The only thing is I wish I had watched the whole dubbed version instead of with the subtitles. The voiceovers actually seem really good in the few episodes I've watched in english.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  26. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i got the ultimate collection on DVD if you want to borrow. ^^

27. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, sure. How many DVDs is that?

28. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Woah, didnt even see this thread go by... ;p

Trigun.. ehhh It starts off neat, but I wouldn't pay money to own it, this is definetly a rental. The quality drops sharply about halfway through the series and you dont get it back until the final showdown in the last 10 minutes. That leaves a good half-dozen episodes of "ugh."

If you like more "pulp"ish stuff anyways, there is a certain amount of zany-ness in Trigun you might be turned off by.

I'd suggest any of the Ghost in the Shell series.

Hellsing is also entertaining. Not alotta depth, but fun vampire action.

SCRYED is an interesting watch, lots of testosterone hewn violence and conflict, lots of social caste drama, good animation, much of the same voice crew as Bebop.

And if you didn't see that Cowboy Bebop movie, i'd definetly suggest seeing it before letting it go.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head...

29. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

What about insane comedy? Full Metal Panic? eh? FMP2 is almost better...probably is.

Speed Grapher was pretty awesome too. Samurai Champloo wasn't bad. Just some things that really stand out as distinct that break away from the anime norm...sorta.

30. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

insane comedy? FMP is funny, but not really insane to me. ;p

FLCL.

EXCEL Saga.

I'd start with those two.

31. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

flcl... that show made my head hurt when i tried to actually figure out what was going on. then i stopped tryin and it was awesome

32. AlmostFast

AlmostFast New Member

Berserk is great, leaves you hanging though =/
    Another good mention (imo)
    Outlaw star
    fooly Cooly
    Gunslinger Girl

Er, guess it helps to notice that there were more pages.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007