Crappy cell reception???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, May 11, 2008.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Guys, Heres the sitiation... My new apartment is on the bottom level(basically underground) and theres tons of really tall trees out back. This makes it so I have little/no reception on my cell inside. I have no house phone so basically I have to go out on my patio to talk, and even then I have one bar... I was hoping someone had some ideas for a solution(besides getting a landline :) ) I looked into this a few years ago and saw a few ideas(both expensive). One being basically a docking station for your cell, that you could put in an area where you have reception, using regular wireless housephones connected to that... this would be ok, but didn't work for multiple lines.. ie, my girl would just be SOL... There was another solution that I can't remember which was crazy expensive so I stopped looking at it... There has to be some kind of antenna I can put on the patio, that somehow at least lessens the deadzone inside... Any ideas?????

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Our apartment complex sucks for reception

3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

We have the same problem
    at work. One of the guys bought a $200 "cell phone booster" that plugs into the wall from Frys or Microcenter. It gives us 2 solid bars in a tornado shelter!

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ hmm.. any info on this?? actual product name or how it works?? That would be worth it... especially as mosquito season nears.. nothing like trying to have a 5 minute conversation outside and coming in with 15 bites... grr...

saw this.. don't know if this is what ur talking about from frys..
    http://shop4.frys.com/product/52574...lQHtEtJbw**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Dana, I know you feel my pain... Do you live on the bottom floor too?

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

what service do you have? and when is your contract up?

6. DaveH

DaveH Member

Chaps, the answer is simple: skype

Also, some folks I know use a skype handset

Landlines are long dead. You just don't need em.

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Thats the one, but you can find it or a similar one cheaper...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2XZ1K/ref=pd_cp_cps_1?pf_rd_p=278363001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000A3OLZC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0W6SKF5F4726A4ZPV1ZS

It really all depends if you need a dual band or a single band 1900mhz. I'm not too sure.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Verizon.. just re-up'd... don't think in matters though.. no one that comes to my place has good service inside, regardless of carrier...

Wagunz.. yeah, I was just looking at that one.. the YX500 CEL seems to be the one for Verizon. I've found it as cheap as $219(still expensive)

9. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Maybe ebay...I guess the real question is, how much is it worth not to get mosquito bites?! ;)

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

LOL, worth it!!!!! I'm pretty damn lazy... Going outside to make calls is really annoying. Example, my girl works nights.. if she calls me to tell me she's running late or has an emergency, there's a good chance I'll miss the call. And if I do get it, it will drop and there I am in my skivvies, on the patio again. And my girl refuses to go outside, so every other time I talk to her at home the call drops.. very frustrating... Question is, does this $250 do-hicky work???

11. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Skivvies...:rofl: I haven't heard that word since my days in the Navy. It will work better for your apartment that an office building filled w/ re-bar and concrete. I would just say...save your receipt. If the gf hates going outside too, maybe you 2 can split the cost!

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

oh noes skivvies
    :( navy
    hotracking FTL

13. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Sounds like someone was on a sub! :wtc: No hotracking on a carrier... Top rack FTW!

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm former USAF too... don't know where I learned that term... Guess I'll have to go back to "underroos"...

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

navy sub nuke.
    silly skimmer fags. carrier life is choice. we had it rough

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Yeah, i can't complain; at least you guys ate good, we had chili mac every day...but they had to feed 5000 people.

What was that saying...120 men go down and 60 couples come up? jokes.

Where were you stationed?

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

/threadjack

school in SC, and upstate NY near albany
    hawaii and virginia for my boat. changed homeports to norfolk for big overhaul at NNSY

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Your best bet is to get a Bluetooth Headset and leave your phone anywhere that it gets a decent signal. With the headset, you would be free to move around the apartment freely, while keeping the phone in the one area that it gets reception.

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^guess I never thought of that... I do have a bluetooth, just seems like it gets fuzzy if your more than 5 feet or so away.. Its a crappy plantronics though, and its not working with my Env2 is just got.. Whats the latest/greatest on the bluetooth scene??(that doesn't cost out the ass..). I'm hearing their doing good things to help eliminate background noise(or loud reving engines, so people tell me :) )....

PS.. don't worry about the threadjack you Navy pukes... keeps my thread alive and more ideas going ;)

20. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

You will only have a maximum 30ft range w/ any bluetooth.

So now you will have to leave your phone outside and wear the headset inside. :dunno

21. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Thats what I'm saying... with my current bluetooth the range is NOT 30ft or anywhere close.. example, checking mail at my complex, I'll leave the phone in my car and walk 15 feet away.. it'll stay connected but sound really crappy. I have a feeling my Plantronics is a lower end model, and I might do better with a newer model.. especially for this in house idea. And, as I stated.. I need a new one anyways, mine isn't working with my new phone. What kind is everyone using and how do you like them????

22. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

It depends on the age and class of your bluetooth headset. Older Bluetooth class 1.0 - 1.9 had an advertised range of up to 30 feet, but rarely reached those distances. The newer class 2.0 Bluetooth has a possible range up to 300 feet, though you probably would see the same thing over 150 feet.

23. TougeTuned

TougeTuned Banned

its not the most convenient idea but get a good yagi antenna and mount it outside a window. or if your complex doesnt allow it just hang it out or put it on a suction mount. it would beat not having service and is cheaper then a cell booster

24. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Actually, class 2 has a 10 meter range...now a class 1 device has 100 meter range. ;)

I didn't know these were out and have no idea about the quality, but here's one...

http://www.callpod.com/products/dragon

Says it will work with any bluetooth enabled phone.

25. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ that callpod model looks pretty sweet... A little over my price range, but you have to pay to play, might have to check that one out further... keep the suggestions coming!

26. DaveH

DaveH Member

I guess my skype suggestion didn't go down too well... :confused:

It costs practically $0. When you are at home, turn your call forwarding on (cellphones/providers have call fwding). So, when someone calls, your skype phone/headset/whatever will ring.

Nope, I don't work for skype. Nor their owner, ebay. I have been a user for, maybe, 5 years.

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Most Cellular providers charge for call forwarding, so depending on the carrier, Call Forwarding charges may apply. AT&T recently changed our policy to use the bucket minutes for call forwarding, but this is a recent change. Prior to the change, we used to charge .10 per minute for forwarding calls.

28. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I've been using an Aliph Jawbone for awhile now and I'm happy with it. The wife says it sounds better than the phone itself. I get decent range and payed just over $70.00 for it a few months ago.

29. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Just curious...all you do is mount the antenna? Would you plug the antenna into something? I know you can do this with wifi, but for cellular?

Just found the Dragon for $60. With a 328+ft range...this is your best bet; btw is it safe to leave the phone on the patio?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3047444

30. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Thanks for the links guys... I was just looking at the Jawbone models as well. Looks like there both around the same price. Anyone know which one is better?? Also curious as to how that Yagi antenna works.. and yes I consider it safe to leave my cell on the patio.. you probably wouldn't be able to see it, and if its outside... that means I'm right inside... if they want to risk saying hi to my 12 gauge, more power to them ;)

31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Update: been looking at reviews online, it looks like the Jawbone is a lot better than the Callpod for my needs. According to the reviews,the Callpod has a bunch of cool features as far as linking to your pc/other devices etc.. but does little for noise reduction and sound clarity is not the best. Its also not the most comfortable.. The reviews for the jawbone are much better, excellent noise reduction, comfort, range... the only common complaint is button placement.... Still want your guys reviews, as well as other poss. options.. thx